Apple looking to buy Disney?!?!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they bought Disney, which I don't see happening, they would probably sell off the parks and resorts division.

While we park elitists may hate the idea of 'synergy', it's because of that synergy that I don't think any entity would break up the parks from movies/TV or any other part of TWDC where you would have that synergy. Why keep the movies and sell off all the rides and attractions which help advertise the movies? With 'synergy' the two parts are worth more together than separately. No company would purposely devalue their property that way.

lazyboy97o

While we park elitists may hate the idea of 'synergy', it's because of that synergy that I don't think any entity would break up the parks from movies/TV or any other part of TWDC where you would have that synergy. Why keep the movies and sell off all the rides and attractions which help advertise the movies? With 'synergy' the two parts are worth more together than separately. No company would purposely devalue their property that way.
There is no need to own the parks. They could simply be locked into a licensing deal as is already the case with all of the international parks. It is only very recently that The Walt Disney Company has become the majority owner in one of the international endeavors.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is no need to own the parks. They could simply be locked into a licensing deal as is already the case with all of the international parks. It is only very recently that The Walt Disney Company has become the majority owner in one of the international endeavors.

Yeah, that worked out well for Marvel. :D

FutureCEO

Will this rumor just die. Pretty soon it will be like Wall-E. One big corporation to rule the world, all the money that binds them.

BoarderPhreak

I could see it for several reasons; the content and production facilities already mentioned but also the overall media arm of Disney... Something Apple is keen to get into. AppleTV and Music are just the tip of the iceberg. Apple has been talking original content for some time now. As for the parks, etc. yeah, I don't see much interest on Apple's part there.

But as a shareholder, I say let's do this. :D

ULPO46

Of all the rumors I have seen on the internet about Disney, this is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard of. Some companies are just not for sale. Disney is just one of those companies. Did Disney sell it's self when Walt died? When Disney could not afford to pay employees or release a single movie without it flopping at the box office? The answer is no. Apple is an amazing company no doubt, but I don't see the purpose of a Tech Firm acquiring Disney, not to mention like i said there is no set price to the image, brand, and quality of the Walt Disney Company. Don't get me wrong I own stock in both companies, but I wouldn't want to see a take over or merger. If TWDC hasn't sold out in nearly 100 years of it's existence, I wonder why.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Of all the rumors I have seen on the internet about Disney, this is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard of. Some companies are just not for sale. Disney is just one of those companies. Did Disney sell it's self when Walt died? When Disney could not afford to pay employees or release a single movie without it flopping at the box office? The answer is no. Apple is an amazing company no doubt, but I don't see the purpose of a Tech Firm acquiring Disney, not to mention like i said there is no set price to the image, brand, and quality of the Walt Disney Company. Don't get me wrong I own stock in both companies, but I wouldn't want to see a take over or merger. If TWDC hasn't sold out in nearly 100 years of it's existence, I wonder why.

TWDC was very nearly taken over by Comcast that hostile takeover failed by a whisker.

Apple wants to transition to being a content ecosystem which both produces the content and sells the tools to consume the content.

It sees Amazons success along these lines and does not want to be left behind. And not all of Disneys institutional shareholders are happy about disneys cable centric model in a cord cutting world

KrzyKtty

That's inaccurate. I doubt they would want the headache of handling a media company but they could easily buy Disney with a blend of cash and stock
With the sort of billions that Disney made last year in their movie arena alone, I have a hard time believing that anyone could muscle their way into a hostile takeover and Disney won't give up their power easily.

epcotWSC

Disney's market capitalization is currently $177 billion. When buyouts happen there is a premium on current stock price. Even if apple had $200 billion liquid, they wouldn't spend every dime to acquire Disney.
Was going to say the same thing. Apple buying Disney is both unrealistic and ridiculous.

csmat99

I would be quite upset if Disney ever decided to sell itself to another company.

Though if it had to happen, I would rather it be a company like Apple that buys them. Not some giant holdings company or large bank.

I feel that only a company with a distinguished founder and strong story can truly understand, and should run, a company with a distinguished founder and strong story.
Well in situations like this Disney doesn't really have a choice. Because Apple could just make it hostile takeover and with all their cash nothing Disney could do. When Disney's stock goes back down after this nice movie run they have been on they will be ripe for a takeover. But like others have said any company acquiring Disney will have to sell off parks to justify the purchase. Only company that would take over Disney and keep parks would be Comcast.

csmat99

Comcast had nothing to do with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter being built. That was a Universal Orlando Resort project when the Resort was half owned by The Blackstone Group and NBCUniversal World Showcase still owned by GE.

Disney is also not lacking in the funds to maintain the parks. That is a choice.
You couldn't be more wrong. It was comcast who green lit the expansion and removed Jaws before people could even refresh their browsers. And they got that land built and opened well within 2 years. Pandora? Iphone 4 was coming out when it was announced and still not open.

lazyboy97o

You couldn't be more wrong. It was comcast who green lit the expansion and removed Jaws before people could even refresh their browsers. And they got that land built and opened well within 2 years. Pandora? Iphone 4 was coming out when it was announced and still not open.
Diagon Alley was after Hogsmead. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter happened before Comcast.

csmat99

No matter how rich Apple may be, no way could it afford Disney. LOL!
Don't be naive. Any public company can be bought. And every company goes through a downturn. Apple if it would want to buy Disney wouldn't do it now when stock is at a high it would wait until it dipped and then go in for the kill either it be an insider type takeover or by hostile. Like ford mentioned Comcast was only few inches from finish line from completing their hostile takeover. And comcast at the time was nothing compared to what Apple has in its warchest.

csmat99

Diagon Alley was after Hogsmead. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter happened before Comcast.
The poster you replied to said Harry Potter world nothing about Hogsmead specifically. Comcast was the ones to drive it home and deliver or you want to talk about how many plans have just stayed on the cutting room floor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom