Apple looking to buy Disney?!?!

No Name

I would be quite upset if Disney ever decided to sell itself to another company.

Though if it had to happen, I would rather it be a company like Apple that buys them. Not some giant holdings company or large bank.

I feel that only a company with a distinguished founder and strong story can truly understand, and should run, a company with a distinguished founder and strong story.

Last edited:

Stripes

The 200 billion is very misleading as well. Due to all the complexities of their finances, it's a phantom number and not a disposable number. From some of the business reports that I've read, the real accessible number is between 50 and 80.
They have enough money to buy Disney. Barely, but they do. Personnaly, I think I would be a positive move for both companies. Do I think it will happen? Not in the slightest.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think this is worth a thread if nothing more than to speculate about whether or not the parks would be in a better or worse off position with Apple at the helm.

Personally, I can't imagine that this would be a positive move for Disney purists like many of us. I love Apple's products but I worry about what new ownership would mean for preserving whatever nostalgia-conjuring attractions remain.

With an apple deal ESPN and Parks and Resorts would be quickly sold

Chef Mickey

First off, most of that 200 billion is off-shore, so they wouldn't be able to use any of that for a purchase of an American company. I think these analysts all need to take a long walk off a short pier, as the majority are just full of it. This ain't ever happening.
While true that most of Apple's cash is offshore, it could be coming onshore very soon. With the replacement of Obamacare failing today, the next item on the agenda is tax reform and a 10% tax on cash repatriation is a very real possibility.

With $231b overseas, Apple could literally bring home $215b, which comfortably buys Disney at current valuation, plus a 20% premium. Not sure DIS shareholders would approve that, but Apple could easily swing it...without even raising capital or using leverage. It's insane that's true, but it is true.

Chef Mickey

The 200 billion is very misleading as well. Due to all the complexities of their finances, it's a phantom number and not a disposable number. From some of the business reports that I've read, the real accessible number is between 50 and 80.
That's completely false under a revised tax plan. Apple really does have $231b cash overseas and can bring it back, but won't because the current tax code would burden them with a 35% tax. They issue bonds to fund their capital return program and the cash is used as sort of collateral, but that could easily be reassigned and absorbed by future earning power. AAPL makes $50b/yr in profit.

mm121

No ones touching Sea World after what happened with Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

How are Sea World and Ringling connected? I know one is in trouble for treatment of the Orcas and the other for Elephants, but didnt know they were connected on a business level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom