AP dining discount trouble

DisneyDanielle

Original Poster
Good afternoon!
Any AP's out there that have trouble getting the restaurant discount b/c you have no discount card? We never received a discount card with this year's renewal and were told we didn't need one but are asked for one at every restaurant we try. Also when they scan the band, it doesn't go thru b/c we don't have charging privileges. Eventually the manager gives us the discount but it shouldn't be this difficult. Anyone else have the same issues?

Thanks!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You have to get a hard plastic discount card at Guest Relations at any park or at Disney Springs. They dont mail them with the magic bands anymore. You use this for dining discounts and shopping discounts. ;)

sxeensweet

They have always given me one of those plastic discount cards, never had to ask. You should definitely go to guest relations and get one.

They do for a new pass being you have to go activate it at Guest Relations they give you the discont card etc., but for renewals they used to send them in the box with the magic bands but they no longer do that so for renewals you need to go to Guest Relations to pick one up. :)

jaklgreen

They do for a new pass being you have to go activate it at Guest Relations they give you the discont card etc., but for renewals they used to send them in the box with the magic bands but they no longer do that so for renewals you need to go to Guest Relations to pick one up. :)

Oh that's a bummer. You would think that they would come up with a better system like linking it to your magic band. It is kind of a pain to keep pulling out the card and ID. Defeats the whole "convenience" of the magic bands.

sxeensweet

Oh that's a bummer. You would think that they would come up with a better system like linking it to your magic band. It is kind of a pain to keep pulling out the card and ID. Defeats the whole "convenience" of the magic bands.

But anyone could then take your magic band after you're in the park already or non park restaurants or stores and use it if you tell them your pin etc if they didn't also require ID and AP card etc. So I'm guessing that Is why to have more proof needed for those that abuse the system. The good have to suffer for the bad concept. Lol Maybe one day it will change. ;)

jaklgreen

But anyone could then take your magic band after you're in the park already or non park restaurants or stores and use it if you tell them your pin etc if they didn't also require ID and AP card etc. So I'm guessing that Is why to have more proof needed for those that abuse the system. The good have to suffer for the bad concept. Lol Maybe one say it will chcange. ;)
Plus sometimes people forget to ask for the AP discount, I know I do.

sxeensweet

Plus sometimes people forget to ask for the AP discount, I know I do.

Yes I have been guilty of that before at a store and they graciously thankfully let me go back and do a return to rebuy at the discount. We are DVC and AP(most years) and DVC requires your membership card with ID also if you use that one for the discounts. So we just have them ready now. ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They don't provide a discount card anymore, either with your AP magic band or at Guest Services - I asked when I activated my renewed pass last October. Just provide your AP card and photo ID. You still had to provide a photo ID when using the discount card.

EvilQueen-T

I've always had to show the hard yellow card plus ID to use our AP discount. It seems like since they can see where you come/go/do they could add to the magic bands our AP status. What irritated me was my 13 y/o granddaughter is also an AP holder and had her card with her but because she doesn't have ID they wouldn't let her use her discount yet we pay the same price for her AP as ours since she turned 10 and when I said fine I'll use mine they didn't want to take it because it was her purchasing the item...small thinking in progress that day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've always had to show the hard yellow card plus ID to use our AP discount. It seems like since they can see where you come/go/do they could add to the magic bands our AP status. What irritated me was my 13 y/o granddaughter is also an AP holder and had her card with her but because she doesn't have ID they wouldn't let her use her discount yet we pay the same price for her AP as ours since she turned 10 and when I said fine I'll use mine they didn't want to take it because it was her purchasing the item...small thinking in progress that day.

The solution would be to include a photo of the passholder on the back of the AP card - like my Costco membership card has. Which means your MDE account would have your photo attached to it.

sxeensweet

They don't provide a discount card anymore, either with your AP magic band or at Guest Services - I asked when I activated my renewed pass last October. Just provide your AP card and photo ID. You still had to provide a photo ID when using the discount card.

That is your discount card the AP card that's what I was talking about I view them as the same. Yes they used to have a seperate discount card from your regular AP card but now they are one in the same. I always just used our AP cards never the discount card. Renewals and new AP's have to get a current one each year to show your expiration date etc at Guest Relations. The OP must of never visited Guest relations after renewing to get a new AP card. They don't just send you a new one with your current expiration date you have to go get one. ;)

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is your discount card the AP card that's what I was talking about I view them as the same. Yes they used to have a seperate discount card from your regular AP card but now they are one in the same. Renewals and new AP's have to get a current one each year to show your expiration date etc at Guest Relations. The OP must of never visited Guest relations after renewing to get a new AP card. They don't just send you a new one with your current expiration date you have to go get one. ;)

I just call it my AP card... ;)

Another reason they want you to go to GS is to "activate" your renewed pass.

My AP card no longer has an expiration date on it, just the year range. In the past, the CM at GS had to write the expiration date on my card.

I just renewed my TiW over the phone. The plastic card they mailed has both my name and expiration date on it. I don't know why Disney can't do the same for AP cards, especially for renewals. Surely there's a better way than making all of us trek over to GS......

sxeensweet

I just call it my AP card... ;)

Another reason they want you to go to GS is to "activate" your renewed pass.

My AP card no longer has an expiration date on it, just the year range. In the past, the CM at GS had to write the expiration date on my card.

I just renewed my TiW over the phone. The plastic card they mailed has both my name and expiration date on it. I don't know why Disney can't do the same for AP cards, especially for renewals. Surely there's a better way than making all of us trek over to GS......

Yes they usually just write it on ours too. Lol And that would be nice to
Have the AP's be like the TIW cards now with a printed name and printed expiration date. Writing the date looks fonky but that's my OCD. Haha! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom