Anyone Not Want Online Check-In?

Tyaloo

I'm under the impression that we (Canadians) can still do online check-in but would just need to stop at the (hopefully shorter) online check-in part of the front desk to pick-up Magicbands. I have yet to do this though so I could be wrong. Anyone done this before?

I also wonder if online check in might give you a better chance of getting a room early? I will be arriving at my resort around 1:30pm (depending on ME) and would be great to drop stuff off in the room, freshen up, and start our vacation!
Yes, Canadians can still do online check in, as per usual. We still have to check in when we arrive, to get our magic bands. The online check in is a means of making requests, which is great! We just can't bypass the front desk altogether - still have to get our magic bands and set up your credit card pin, though maybe that'll change someday? Maybe now we can pre-set up our CC pins?

I was never given the option of picking a specific building number though (on the website), just vague choices like "top floor".

From our experience, we usually arrive around that time too (1:30) and half of our party got their room, and the other half had to wait a couple of hours - I think it's hit or miss :).

MaryJaneP

First step in reducing front desk staff to minimize expenses and prelude to kiosk/tablet checkin "computers". How magical.

larandtra

I think for some of us who go a great deal, While still somewhat nostalgic to a degree in some of the resorts, online check in makes life easier. Next trip coming up next week, I am already checked in and will arrive on property around Noon, grab a bite at the springs, have a drink, and then go park at the resort. if I have gotten the text that the room is ready, Ill toss stuff in the room and head to the chosen park for the evening. if it isnt, Ill just park, go to the chosen park and take stuff to the room after we are done for the evening. Since I know my way around the resorts, I dont need a map or anything like that. I know where to park and can go ahead and get my trip started. Just a preference. When I go with new people who have never been, I always check in through the lobby just so they get to experience it. But, on our own, Eh, I still get the Magic feel anyway as soon as I hit the property.

jaklgreen

Apologies if this was mentioned already, but I like going to the desk because if I'm not sure of the layout of the rooms, they tell me where I'm going! In January I received the texts telling me my room was ready and the room number, and I still stopped at the desk anyway.

They also send a link to the resort map layout when they text you your room number. So you can just look at the map on your phone, or you can go to the front desk, wait in line, and then look at the paper map they give you. Either way. :D

allgiggles

They also send a link to the resort map layout when they text you your room number. So you can just look at the map on your phone, or you can go to the front desk, wait in line, and then look at the paper map they give you. Either way. :D

Not to mention, the text with the room number says, "...Room #xxxx which is in Bldg. X on floor X" so it's really easy to find your room on the map they link you to. But if you go to the front desk, they'll actually circle the building on a paper map for you :D

crxbrett

I'm reluctant to do the online check-in, only because I am using Touringplans room request fax and I have heard stories of how if you use both it can confuse the people at the resort assigning rooms for you. Is the MDE online check-in super detailed where it allows you to requests specific rooms or views or directions you may want to face in a specific building? Or does it just let you pick a floor and a building basically?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm reluctant to do the online check-in, only because I am using Touringplans room request fax and I have heard stories of how if you use both it can confuse the people at the resort assigning rooms for you. Is the MDE online check-in super detailed where it allows you to requests specific rooms or views or directions you may want to face in a specific building? Or does it just let you pick a floor and a building basically?

Depends upon the resort. The selections are usually floor and proximity to elevator. If I remember, SSR would let you pick an area - Congress Park, for example.

allgiggles

You can still do online check-in, just skip the room request section. FWIW, I've used the TP fax service and still done online check-in. One time I didn't make any room requests during online check-in and the other time I made requests that didn't conflict with the room I requested through TP. I was requesting a room that was on the first floor of the building and that building was close to the main building/transportation, so I chose "first floor" and "close to transportation" during online check-in. I got the room right next door to the one I requested (which was still perfect -- I just really wanted to be in a specific area of that particular building).

crxbrett

Good to know allgiggles! I think I will do what you did and go for the online check-in but leave any room requests/preferences blank on the app.

Weather_Lady

It's not weird at all for you to enjoy the human contact and the warm welcome of a personal check-in experience. I can immediately think of situations when my family would LOVE to use this service (e.g., staying at CBR where check-in is a far-flung pain-in-the-tush to visit; staying at a resort we've been to before), but also situations where we'd prefer to have some time at the front desk (e.g., staying at a resort for the first time, hoping for welcome leis at the Poly). I'm just glad that it's optional, so everyone can choose.

MD DVC Fam

So I noticed that Disney has announced an update to the My Disney Experience app that allows for full online check-in. You can put your credit card information in, authorize charging, make room requests, get your room number, etc. This isn't like the old "bypass the front desk" feature where you *might* get to bypass it. This is guaranteed, full online check-in.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually don't like the concept of online check-in. I actually enjoy the check-in process, going to the lobby/front desk, interacting with the cast members, being given my check-in materials, etc. I don't actually think I would want to bypass that and go straight to my room. It would seem a less "personal" experience to me, and it would feel like something is missing.

Is that strange? Am I the only one who feels that way?
So I noticed that Disney has announced an update to the My Disney Experience app that allows for full online check-in. You can put your credit card information in, authorize charging, make room requests, get your room number, etc. This isn't like the old "bypass the front desk" feature where you *might* get to bypass it. This is guaranteed, full online check-in.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually don't like the concept of online check-in. I actually enjoy the check-in process, going to the lobby/front desk, interacting with the cast members, being given my check-in materials, etc. I don't actually think I would want to bypass that and go straight to my room. It would seem a less "personal" experience to me, and it would feel like something is missing.

On our last 3 trips we have done the full on-line check-in process. I thought it was a great idea at first, however 2 of the 3 visits they never texted us our room information. So the system only works if everyone is one th e same page. We called the front desk from the parks to see if they were ready and were told no and that we should wait for a text. Finally we checked in at front desk after 5pm when we still hadn't gotten a room assignment and the kids were getting grouchy. We ended up having to wait around in the lobby while they called around to find out our room status and discovered our room had been ready for hours. It is Mousekeepings responsibility to notify front desk computer or whatever when rooms have been cleaned so new visitors can be contacted with the room assignment.

Janir

I'm with you actually. I like the initial interaction. Makes me feel like "My vacation has begun!" The Resort cast members are always friendly and helpful and after driving for days to get to WDW, it's nice to be welcomed. I have done the online check in, mostly to make sure our room is somewhere we prefer, but still go into the lobby and get the CC card attached and a map and the welcome. :).

njDizFan

I equate this with tellers at your bank. Some of us have been doing their banking digitally for a quite a while and with the prevalence of all the online options and the newer ATM technology, there is very few scenarios that require you step a foot into a branch. But some people and partially the older generation want to be comforted by a face instead of a machine. If that means taking extra time out of your day(or vacation) then it is their prerogative(at least for now). Many of these jobs in hospitality and teller type situations are going away, right or wrong. It saves on labor costs and also for many, the electronic options are an even better customer experience.

The issue is that TWDC needs to step up their game and make sure that online accessibility is seamless...we know Disney's history with IT.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I equate this with tellers at your bank. Some of us have been doing their banking digitally for a quite a while and with the prevalence of all the online options and the newer ATM technology, there is very few scenarios that require you step a foot into a branch. But some people and partially the older generation want to be comforted by a face instead of a machine. If that means taking extra time out of your day(or vacation) then it is their prerogative(at least for now). Many of these jobs in hospitality and teller type situations are going away, right or wrong. It saves on labor costs and also for many, the electronic options are an even better customer experience.

The issue is that TWDC needs to step up their game and make sure that online accessibility is seamless...we know Disney's history with IT.

As one of those "older generation" people, I couldn't disagree with you more. That banking is now 24/7 thanks to ATMs, online and digital banking (my financial institution finally implemented photo check depositing), I'm no longer restricted to banking 9-5 Monday through Friday.

And I'm a fan of online check-in. To be provided another portal via the mobile app is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

njDizFan

As one of those "older generation" people, I couldn't disagree with you more. That banking is now 24/7 thanks to ATMs, online and digital banking (my financial institution finally implemented photo check depositing), I'm no longer restricted to banking 9-5 Monday through Friday.

And I'm a fan of online check-in. To be provided another portal via the mobile app is a winner as far as I'm concerned.
How are you disagreeing with me?

carnini

Did online checking in March loved it. Was able to be at the pool with my kids till the room was ready (had packed a day bag). We got to start our fun sooner. To each there own but I was glad I could do it fully online this time. We did stop by the desk the next day for something to confirm but that was it.

dis_mike

I enjoy getting checked in by a cast member and getting the whole spiel, welcome package etc. It's also a great opportunity to make sure everything is linked and you don't run into issues with your magicbands. I've had one too many issues in the past with this and wouldn't you know it, my magicbands were messed up this time again as well.

I originally had done the online check-in but my reservation ended up getting cancelled and re-booked by Disney because my flight out of Philly was completely cancelled. This basically wiped out all of my prior check-in information and my magicbands were no longer linked to my tickets. When I arrived at the resort they had approximately 20 people in the line who were trying to check-in and out at the same time. I had to wait in line for almost an hour just to speak to a cast member to get checked in and another 20 mins with the concerige to get my magic bands linked. So after that ordeal, I think I'll stick with online check in for now on. It's just a smoother experience with no waiting. I really wanted to go to the parks and my time was taken up by waiting for castmembers.

jaklgreen

I enjoy getting checked in by a cast member and getting the whole spiel, welcome package etc. It's also a great opportunity to make sure everything is linked and you don't run into issues with your magicbands. I've had one too many issues in the past with this and wouldn't you know it, my magicbands were messed up this time again as well.

I originally had done the online check-in but my reservation ended up getting cancelled and re-booked by Disney because my flight out of Philly was completely cancelled. This basically wiped out all of my prior check-in information and my magicbands were no longer linked to my tickets. When I arrived at the resort they had approximately 20 people in the line who were trying to check-in and out at the same time. I had to wait in line for almost an hour just to speak to a cast member to get checked in and another 20 mins with the concerige to get my magic bands linked. So after that ordeal, I think I'll stick with online check in for now on. It's just a smoother experience with no waiting. I really wanted to go to the parks and my time was taken up by waiting for castmembers.

You should book your air and hotel separate so they are not connected like that. I always do room only reservation so they have no idea what is going on with my flight or even if I am flying or driving in. I agree with you that I much rather be starting on my vacation then waiting in line to check in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom