Anyone Not Want Online Check-In?

Kamikaze

So if there is an issue what happens? There are times when stopping at a front desk might be required. They thought in March an issue was with our MagicBands. In June it was a glitch that didn't put it in the system right. We did not get an e-mial/text - we got nothing until I talked to someone at the front desk. Low and behold as soon as she did something on the computer we got a "room not ready" e-mail and text.

Then obviously you are going to have to do down to the desk. The vast, vast, vast majority of check ins are without issue.

MightyMouse

Myself and family will be arriving a few days before my parental units who will be staying in a different room. I had asked if I could request adjacent rooms or at least in the same section of the hotel. I was told the rooms would not be assigned until 1 week prior to our stay, so there is no guarantee, however I am to call back 1 week prior to arrival and submit the request. Fair enough. However I was also told that first priority however would be to try and accomodate all the requests submitted by online requests/online check-in which can be done 60 days in advance. Requesting adjacent rooms is not an option with the online check-in apparently. Groan. o_O

correcaminos

Then obviously you are going to have to do down to the desk. The vast, vast, vast majority of check ins are without issue.
I'd say a majority yes, but not sure I'd say vast majority. I spend time on forums for DVC owners who go many times a year and I think they happen more than you realize. Not a huge deal for me, but still annoying when glitches happen.

mikenatcity1

I personally like this. The last thing I want to do is go to the front desk to pick up my information or be explained how everything works. I appreciate that this is their job, but when I go to a hotel, I want as little in-person time as possible. I like to feel like i'm living there and can go right to my room.

the thing that I really like about arriving at resorts is the "welcome" received when entering the hotel for the first time. That makes me excited and smile :)

jaklgreen

I love online check in. We have been going to WDW for over 20 years and for many of those visits check in was the worst experience of the trip. We are from the midwest so our flights would usually arrive mid day, right at the busiest check in time. So here we were with little kids travelling half the day and we finally get to the resort wanting to get into our room and go feed the kids, but nooooo, there is a 40 minute line to check in. Then it took them forever to check us in. I have no idea why the check in process is so long at the WDW resorts. We get plenty of cast member interaction throughout our visit that I am just fine with skipping the front desk at check in. Also, I have never had any issues with getting my request. But I only request the one thing, ground floor. Only 1 time I did not get it. No big deal. Oh, and I have been "upgraded" to a better location room while using online check in.

AndrewsJ

So then don't use it. You are not being forced to do so. Just another option that they are giving you.

This basically settles it: You guys WILL complain about everything.

Think about the possibilities this offers instead of just having fond memories of how great it is to talk to front desk CMs.

Full online check-in could lead to DME buses dropping you off directly at a theme park.
Same folks that complain about long lines at check in and shorter hours leading to less park time. This is a great way to save time and get to the parks quicker so you are right. People will complain regardless. Really folks just hoping for a hand out (upgrade) that rarely happens. Give them a free trip to Disney and that still wouldn't be enough.

Last edited:

Rumrunner

I am just old school and like the idea of actually physically checking in. Disney is expensive and the fact I am supporting the jobs of the people doing the check in makes me feel better. I worry about the eliminating of jobs by technology..
Besides I like people and check in has always been a very pleasant and enjoyable interacting experience.

Disney4family

We have always used online check-in since it started and, luckily, have never had a problem. A CM usually greets us with an iPad as we get off the DME bus. S/he asks for our name, checks that everything is okay I guess, and tells us to have a magical stay. That's it.
We drop off our extra carry-on bags, goop up with sunscreen and hit the parks. They'll text me later with my room number.
Hopefully I'm not jinxing it, but it's never been an issue. We love it since it gives us extra time in the parks the first day.

CaptainAmerica

I am just old school and like the idea of actually physically checking in. Disney is expensive and the fact I am supporting the jobs of the people doing the check in makes me feel better. I worry about the eliminating of jobs by technology..
Besides I like people and check in has always been a very pleasant and enjoyable interacting experience.
You still have that option.

Where are people getting this impression that Disney is going to force people to do online check-in against their will?

awhit066

It's still not an option for Canadians, as we have to get our magic bands at the front desk - so it's the same for us. I'm fine either way though. It would be fun to get our bands mailed to us, but postage, eh?.

I'm under the impression that we (Canadians) can still do online check-in but would just need to stop at the (hopefully shorter) online check-in part of the front desk to pick-up Magicbands. I have yet to do this though so I could be wrong. Anyone done this before?

I also wonder if online check in might give you a better chance of getting a room early? I will be arriving at my resort around 1:30pm (depending on ME) and would be great to drop stuff off in the room, freshen up, and start our vacation!

CaptainAmerica

I'm under the impression that we (Canadians) can still do online check-in but would just need to stop at the (hopefully shorter) online check-in part of the front desk to pick-up Magicbands. I have yet to do this though so I could be wrong. Anyone done this before?

I also wonder if online check in might give you a better chance of getting a room early? I will be arriving at my resort around 1:30pm (depending on ME) and would be great to drop stuff off in the room, freshen up, and start our vacation!
I believe it does. As part of online check-in, you tell them what time you'll be arriving. You can also check a box that specifically requests an early room at the expense of your other room requests. For example, you can say you'd like a first floor room in Building 12, but if there's a second floor room in some other building that's available early, you'd rather have that one.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Gee, why would I want something that allows me to go straight to my room and start unpacking the car so I can start my Disney vacation that much quicker? :rolleyes:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I like the online check in. In the past I could only add 1 credit card for everyone in the party. Will the new version allow me to assign each person their own credit card? We find that we still have to visit the front desk on the first day to do this. Not a problem at all though as they get it done pretty quickly.

They can add a credit card, with pin, to their own MDE account.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Are you sure about that? I must have missed something. I thought the only change is that you could now do online check in with your app.

Yeah, I don't think this includes a "guarantee". It's the same as checking in via the web...now you can check-in via the app. Just a different portal, that's all. I noticed that all my upcoming reservations have been imported and our trip in 2 weeks shows I've already checked in online.

Since a good percentage of people use their phones, easier via the app than your phone's web browser....

LAKid53

Premium Member
'Full online check in' to me means you don't need to touch the desk, so yes, I'm pretty sure.

I never needed to touch the front desk when I used online check in, unless I hadn't gotten my room text before I arrived.

I really don't think there's a difference, based upon what the app shows for my reservations. Just a different portal...

mousehockey37

So I noticed that Disney has announced an update to the My Disney Experience app that allows for full online check-in. You can put your credit card information in, authorize charging, make room requests, get your room number, etc. This isn't like the old "bypass the front desk" feature where you *might* get to bypass it. This is guaranteed, full online check-in.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually don't like the concept of online check-in. I actually enjoy the check-in process, going to the lobby/front desk, interacting with the cast members, being given my check-in materials, etc. I don't actually think I would want to bypass that and go straight to my room. It would seem a less "personal" experience to me, and it would feel like something is missing.

Is that strange? Am I the only one who feels that way?

Apologies if this was mentioned already, but I like going to the desk because if I'm not sure of the layout of the rooms, they tell me where I'm going! In January I received the texts telling me my room was ready and the room number, and I still stopped at the desk anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom