Anyone know how they pick people for "additional security screening" at the airport??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Enjoy your life... you won't get very far with that attitude. Of course, it appears you haven't left adolescence based on your quote.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what's enjoyable about being rude to a parent or being hassled for lack of cooperation...:veryconfu

jozzmenia

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Of course, it appears you haven't left adolescence based on your quote.

It goes on my list of "things a celebrity wouldn't admit to on an Oprah interview" :lol:

maelstrom

jozzmenia said:
So taking off shoes is against your beliefs? :lookaroun

I'm trying to figure out the difference. If u refuse to do what is asked of u if you're not legally obligated, then why give the ones or help the lady? Isn't it the same thing? You're willing to cooperate and/or be nice at random times I take it? :(

As I said, "I refuse to do things that are asked of me if I'm under no legal obligation to comply and I feel personally that complying is un-necessary, annoying, goes against my beliefs, etc." I feel that taking off my shoes is un-necessary and annoying (yes, more annoying than getting them swabbed). I also feel that not swearing because some kid's parent is trying to keep them sheltered from the world is un-necessary and goes against my beliefs (I believe in freedom of speech). Giving a restaurant smaller bills or helping an elderly person reach something neither annoys me or goes against my beliefs. I am entitled to chose what I do and do not do in life.

wannab@dis said:
Enjoy your life... you won't get very far with that attitude. Of course, it appears you haven't left adolescence based on your quote.

Really, why is that? Is it because of the swearing or because of the shoes? If it's the shoes, then there are many people on here far older than I who have also then not yet left adolescence. And as for the swearing, as I said, I enjoy my freedom of speech. People who are trying to shelter their children from WORDS are not my problem. If they don't hear them from me, they will hear them from someone else. If I asked everyone to stop doing everything that bothered me, and they complied, nobody would be doing much of anything at all. Not doing what people tell you to isn't being rude, it's being your own person in charge of yourself and making your own decisions.

I'm leaving this thread now. I've said my bit. :kiss:

TAC

jozzmenia said:
Here's an analogy that makes more sense, which may answer your question "why should i remove my shoes if I'm not required too"...In a restaurant I pay for my food with a $20 and it costs $3; they say they're low on ones and ask if I have any ones. I say "yes i do but I have a legal right to pay with a $20 so that's what I'm paying with." :p... I'm 6 foot tall and a little old lady in a grocery store asks me if I can reach something on the top shelf and get it for her. I say "Yes, I can reach it fairly easily, but I have no legal obligation to do that for u, so I am going to exercise my right to not do so. Why should I get this for u if I'm not required to?" :rolleyes: .... I go to a football game and start swearing loudly and a parent asks if I will please stop because her children are nearby. I say, "I could, but our jurisdiction has no law in place that requires me to do so and it is not the stadium's policy so I will exercise my right to do so."

Again, meritless "analogies." They are not even close to the same situation.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TAC said:
Again, meritless "analogies." They are not even close to the same situation.

Right. Comparing taking off shoes is a public place to taking off underwear in public is a MUCH better analogy...:dazzle:

TAC

jozzmenia said:
Right. Comparing taking off shoes is a public place to taking off underwear in public is a MUCH better analogy...:dazzle:

Exactly. So if the next bomber pulls a flare out of his or her underwear on an airplane, what will be checked at the security checkpoint? Shoes or underwear ?

wannab@dis

TAC said:
Exactly. So if the next bomber pulls a flare out of his or her underwear on an airplane, what will be checked at the security checkpoint? Shoes or underwear ?
This is getting a little far-fetched...

TAC

wannab@dis said:

Is it ? If the shoe bomber incident didn't happen, would the TSA be asking passengers to remove their shoes ? I doubt it. And that is what have previously said that I have a problem with. Security is reactionary, not proactive.

So, again what is the ultimate solution ?

wannab@dis

TAC said:
Is it ? If the shoe bomber incident didn't happen, would the TSA be asking passengers to remove their shoes ? I doubt it. And that is what have previously said that I have a problem with. Security is reactionary, not proactive.

So, again what is the ultimate solution ?
There is no ultimate solution. That's the problem. The shoe issue is reactionary, but if they didn't implement, then there would be many more people complaining TSA wasn't taking that incident seriously. It's a no-win situation and complaining and causing a scene at security about taking off your shoes is only causing more problems.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:

Oh not far-fetched at all. See, I have been shown the light. See, originally I was thinking, sinc you could hide things in shoes, like bombs, and many shoes set off metal detectors, it would save a lot of time and hassel to run them through the machine...

but ALAS, what's next, a bomb in a bra, so take off your bras! A bomb in a jock strap (or something that looks like it :lol:) take that off. the next step is for TSA to make u walk through the metal detector totally naked (after a full cavity search), which i can totally see them doing, then they will have a dentist on standby to check under the fillings and crowns on your teeth, and they will make u take an ultrasound, catscan and xray to make sure no bombs are inside of you anywhere (at which point they will insert a secret chip in your brain used for mind control), then they will make u put on a bomb proof suit for the flight in case u still have one hidden somewhere, then they will make u watch videos of Hitler and educate u about the pros of slavery and something about a pure blonde hair blue eyed race...:eek:

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

Then when it happens, us dummies who complied with taking our shoes off will be to blame! :cry:

DOH! :rolleyes:

TAC

jozzmenia said:
Oh not far-fetched at all. See, I have been shown the light. See, originally I was thinking, sinc you could hide things in shoes, like bombs, and many shoes set off metal detectors, it would save a lot of time and hassel to run them through the machine...

but ALAS, what's next, a bomb in a bra, so take off your bras! A bomb in a jock strap (or something that looks like it :lol:) take that off. the next step is for TSA to make u walk through the metal detector totally naked (after a full cavity search), which i can totally see them doing, then they will have a dentist on standby to check under the fillings and crowns on your teeth, and they will make u take an ultrasound, catscan and xray to make sure no bombs are inside of you anywhere (at which point they will insert a secret chip in your brain used for mind control), then they will make u put on a bomb proof suit for the flight in case u still have one hidden somewhere, then they will make u watch videos of Hitler and educate u about the pros of slavery and something about a pure blonde hair blue eyed race...:eek:

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

Then when it happens, us dummies who complied with taking our shoes off will be to blame! :cry:

DOH! :rolleyes:

Now who is getting far-fetched. :rolleyes:

And, in the future, if you are going to make any inferences regarding any of my posts, make sure you have your information correct about what I actually posted. Thank you.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TAC said:
Now who is getting far-fetched. :rolleyes:

And, in the future, if you are going to make any inferences regarding any of my posts, make sure you have your information correct about what I actually posted. Thank you.

At what point in the post u quoted, or in any post, did I make ANY inferences about one of YOUR posts, let alone INCORRECT inferences???? :confused:

TAC

jozzmenia said:
At what point in the post u quoted, or in any post, did I make ANY inferences about one of YOUR posts, let alone INCORRECT inferences???? :confused:

I'll leave that for you to figure out.

With that, I am through with you.

TAC

wannab@dis said:
There is no ultimate solution. That's the problem. The shoe issue is reactionary, but if they didn't implement, then there would be many more people complaining TSA wasn't taking that incident seriously. It's a no-win situation and complaining and causing a scene at security about taking off your shoes is only causing more problems.

Thank you for a civil and best reply to my side of the arguement. :) :wave:

While I dislike reactionary responses, sometimes it's more or a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" (implementation of passenger shoe removal) situation.

However, where did I say at all in this thread that I caused a scene and/or did not take my shoes off ?

TTATraveler

This is going to be my last comment on this thread since it is getting out of hand. I am not exactly sure why some people cannot respect other's opinions, beliefs, etc. There are members on this board who feel that TSA has no authority to ask you to remove your shoes at security checkpoints. It clearly states on their website that you are not required to remove your shoes, but are encouraged to since additional xray inspection may be required.

If one chooses not to remove his/her shoes that is their right. If they in turn have to have their shoes swabbed, that is the choice they make. Are they breaking the law by refusing to remove their shoes? The answer is no. Whether I decide to remove my shoes in light of now knowing the protocol is my choice.

My comparison to removing your underwear may be extreme, but god forbid some nutcase tries to plant a bomb in another article of clothing. The reaction is going to be to further inspect that article of clothing via taking off or visual inspection. So at the moment the sticking point is shoes. Could it become something else further down the road?? Who knows. If all airports had the explosive detecting machines that shoot puffs of air at you, there wouldn't be a need to remove anything except maybe a jacket.

I respect anyone's right to disagree with me and others. That is your choice, but please don't chastise everyone with a differing opinion simply because you feel you are right.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TAC said:
I'll leave that for you to figure out.

That's because it didn't happen. I made general comments on my opinion on taking off shoes at the airport. An opinion is something that everyone is entitled to have, not just you. And if I think that taking off shoes to go through a metal detector is no big deal, then I am entitled to that opinion. It doesn't make you a martyr.

BrittanyRose428

Normally they follow a very simple method of detecting whether a secondary search is needed by using this guide:
Young Single Male
Aged between 16-40
travelling alone with very few baggage or just hand baggage
arriving late
looking nervous
(provided by the UK Department of Transport)
Stereotypical that its mostly guys that get picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom