Anyone know how they pick people for "additional security screening" at the airport??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylenofan86

jozzmenia said:
or perhaps had the person copperated in the first place, it wouldn't have happened...:lookaroun

And this is what I fear our country is headed to. I play their game and follow their rules, why should I have to take off my shoes if they are less than an inch? We're getting closer and closer to becoming the old Soviet Union.

wannab@dis

jaylenofan86 said:
And this is what I fear our country is headed to. I play their game and follow their rules, why should I have to take off my shoes if they are less than an inch? We're getting closer and closer to becoming the old Soviet Union.
I'm sorry... but that statement is ludicrous. Comparing shoe security procedures to the Soviet Union is laughable at best. :rolleyes:

jozzmenia

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I'm sorry... but that statement is ludicrous. Comparing shoe security procedures to the Soviet Union is laughable at best. :rolleyes:

Thank you! :sohappy:

I was picturing myself standing in line and the person in front of me making a fuss about showing id, rambling something off about Nazi Germany...:brick: :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
or perhaps had the person copperated in the first place, it wouldn't have happened...:lookaroun

Airport security screeners have no authority to request that a passenger remove any article of their clothing, so cooperation isn't an option.

mkt

Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
and when they inspected MY baggag, i was standing right there...

they don't always give the courtesy to witness your baggage search, although they are supposed to per their SOP.

mkt

Premium Member
jaylenofan86 said:
Not that bad, albeit I fear a second round of McCarthyism is near.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
mkt said:
Airport security screeners have no authority to request that a passenger remove any article of their clothing, so cooperation isn't an option.

I thought the whole point was that they CAN request it but supposedly can't ORDER it with the shoes :veryconfu

how is cooperation not an option? if a police officer asks me to come with step inside a coffee shop and answer some questions, I can cooperate and go inside, or not cooperate and throw a tantrum on the sidewalk. I have the legal right to throw a tantrum, but that doesn't mean that I can't choose to be cooperative if I want too, even though they have no authority to make me go in the coffee shop...

Good grief, they ask us to remove our shoes, not our fillings, hair weaves, and pacemakers...:hammer:

TAC

jozzmenia said:
you find that u are unable to put on shoes and watch your bag at the same time? :veryconfu if u get hassled so frequently, u might want to try and hone that skill. i find it's not all that difficult. :lookaroun

and when they inspected MY baggag, i was standing right there...

Each situation is different. I guess you have never had the pleasure of walking with only socks on a dirty terminal floor. I guess you have never had the pleasure of standing just past the X-ray machine as a TSA agent is hand inspecting your carry-on bag, while another agent says, "Who's shoes be these?" Yes, those were the EXACT words.

Why should I try and "hone a skill" to allow an invasion of my privacy? Go back and read the articles I posted from the USA today, then think about your precious TSA "security." And lest you forget, they are government workers, so your tax dollars pay their salary.

TAC

jozzmenia said:
I agree, that's ideal, but it seems a bit unrealistic. I mean, where in life can u find total consistency regardless of "written policy"? TSA has their policies posted on the website. I think it would be unrealistic to expect EVERY SINGLE human employee to follow them to a tee. They attempt to, and there are minimal problems. In fact, I haven't seen ANY when i was in an airport. some people notice trouble more than others i guess, but it's not a massive problem in general. every system has flaws, and it could be a lot worse.

Why? Why is it "unrealistic?" Every corporation in the USA has a set of basic standard corporate policies that they expect every employee to adhire to. No, not every employee does. However, that does not mean that if you are violating an article of one those corporate policies that you will not be held accountable for that violation or even terminated (most corporate policites are worded "...up to and including termination). Since the TSA policies are published online, I expect that every employee follow those policies. If they start making up "policies," then they are overstepping their authority. And that is the problem.

jozzmenia said:
If u go to court in the same county, one Judge will do things differently than another. What's admissible in one court is inadmissible in another... In your hometown, one police officer might only pull people over if they go 15 or more over the speed limit, and another will pull you over if u go 5 over... one mcdonald's may give u unlimited sauces for your nuggets, while another has their limits posted....

All of those examples are discretionary. Where is it written down that one judge has to admit X evidence and another judge does not? What town policy has it written that one police officer only pulls people over for 15 + over and another police officer will pull people over for 5 + over? Again, no written policy.

TAC

I have the ultimate solution.

Everyone must fly naked. The TSA can issue disposible Tyvek suits that everyone must wear. And when you successfully pass through security, you get your suit stamped.

Tim G

TAC said:
Everyone must fly naked. The TSA can issue disposible Tyvek suits that everyone must wear. And when you successfully pass through security, you get your suit stamped.

We've got experts for people like you, they'll put you in the funny farm, or another happy home with lots of nice people with nice white coats... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

But until then... ease down :D :lookaroun

TTATraveler

TAC said:

I want my Tyvek suit to have the built in booties. I don't want to be walking barefoot on the dirty terminal floor:D:lol::lol:

Erika

hrmom26 said:
that is the best advice i have heard all day :D
6 pages on if its ok to ask you to take off your shoes :snore:
have a great day guys i'm out

Add me to the list :lol:

And for the record, I don't like to brag, but I can have my shoes off and on again in under 10 seconds *cracks knuckles*

mkt

Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
I thought the whole point was that they CAN request it but supposedly can't ORDER it with the shoes :veryconfu

Not cooperating is an option, as the TSA baggage screeners have no legal authority or police powers. However, I will not throw a tantrum. Just a polite refusal, followed by a request for a supervisor, should the TSO be insistent.

I've been playing this game for years now, I'm above a tantrum :)

Tim G

mkt said:
Not cooperating is an option, as the TSA baggage screeners have no legal authority or police powers. However, I will not throw a tantrum. Just a polite refusal, followed by a request for a supervisor, should the TSO be insistent.

I've been playing this game for years now, I'm above a tantrum :)
On the other hand... I don't see the issue... What's wrong with letting the TSA officers do their jobs...

jaylenofan86

wannab@dis said:

I'm telling you, read "1984" and you'll see where I'm coming from.

jozzmenia said:
I was picturing myself standing in line and the person in front of me making a fuss about showing id, rambling something off about Nazi Germany...

Oh I show my ID......my Library of Congress card. It's a government-issued photo ID, so I can use it to get through security. Just my name and my picture on it is all that the boarding pass checkers and TSA need to know.

mkt said:

I do the same as well. Works for Newark or Las Vegas, that or jedi mind tricks. :D

TTATraveler

Corrus said:
On the other hand... I don't see the issue... What's wrong with letting the TSA officers do their jobs...

The whole issue is that it isn't their job to force people to remove their shoes. I have no problems letting them do thier jobs.

jaylenofan86

TTATraveler said:
The whole issue is that it isn't their job to force people to remove their shoes. I have no problems letting them do thier jobs.

Exactly! Per TSA's website at http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=09000519800b68b8

Am I wearing the right shoes?

You are NOT REQUIRED to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector. However, TSA screeners may encourage you to remove them before entering the metal detector as many types of footwear will require additional screening even if the metal detector DOES NOT alarm.

Footwear that screeners will encourage you to remove because they are likely to require additional screening:

* Boots
* Platform shoes (including platform flip-flops)
* Footwear with a thick sole or heel (including athletic shoes)
* Footwear containing metal (including many dress shoes)

Footwear that screeners are less likely to suggest you remove includes:

* "Beach" flip-flops
* Thin-soled sandals (without metal)

I wear thin-soled shoes and I never get a fuss about it from TSA, but Newark and Vegas are horrible about it. I follow SOPs, why should I take off my shoes if they are non-profile? No one has yet answered that question for me.

Tim G

TTATraveler said:
And I have no problems in removing my shoes...

TTATraveler

jaylenofan86 said:
I follow SOPs, why should I take off my shoes if they are non-profile? No one has yet answered that question for me.

That is becase it can't be answered. If you want people to remove their shoes then make it a requirement and people will more then likely comply. If you say that it is not required to remove shoes, but suggested, then people are going to do the minimum and not remove their shoes, since it is not required.

There are also those that see people in front of them taking their shoes off, so they think they must do the same when infact the TSA people have not said otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom