Anybody get a 35% raise last year?

CarlFredricksen

Other media conglomerates have done BETTER than Disney over the past few years, Disney has attained its growth since 2010 via price increases and service cuts not in organic growth in it's markets with the notable exception of Frozen.

So you are picking and choosing what you want to grade someone by?
Does your boss pick and chose which categories to ignore when you're reviewed?
Numbers are black and white - whether they hit goals, or don't - that's how they are graded. Not by "well if Frozen would've bombed and we didn't raise prices than we wouldn't have hot goals"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everyone here is so critical of him claiming he doesn't deserve his money in part because of the discrepancy in his pay vs low wage employees.
So your solution is to oust him and pay his successor less?
If we are paying everyone less and devaluing what someone can bring to the table, I think the low wage employees make too much for what they do and should also get a pay cut.

Some of us do not like Iger because the majority of his so called 'gains' are financial gimmicks, not genuine growth in the BUSINESS as the most profitable segment of TWDC is cable and networks which are likely to face a changed regulatory environment in the next 24-36 months.

The wage disparity is obscene and largely a US phenomenon but it requires structural changes to fix as it took a generation to develop and will probably require a generation to fix.

MattM

Right now analysts on the 'Street are evenly split between buy and hold hardly a resounding vote of confidence in TWDC's future direction.

LOL @ analysts on the street, who are notoriously known for revising the buy/hold/sell call AFTER the stock has made its move. But anyway, to your point, of the 31 analysts who cover $DIS here's how they breakdown:

Strong Buy: 8
Buy: 9
Hold: 14
Reduce: 0
Sell: 0

You are aware that a HOLD rating is not a negative indicator in a stock, yes? So, I guess what I'm trying to say is I have a hard time seeing where the analysts don't have a resounding vote of confidence, can you show me?

And c'mon man, you know that looking at cash in the bank in terms of "running out of runway" without taking into account Total Assets is being less than honest with yourself, and readers here, right?

Here's my main question to you: With your "substantial amount of shares" that you are unhappy with, why not simply sell? How long have you been unhappy? Since the stock was at $16? $40? $70? $85?

What do they say? Don't complain about the cookin' with your mouth full ;)

CarlFredricksen

Some of us do not like Iger because the majority of his so called 'gains' are financial gimmicks, not genuine growth in the BUSINESS as the most profitable segment of TWDC is cable and networks which are likely to face a changed regulatory environment in the next 24-36 months.

The wage disparity is obscene and largely a US phenomenon but it requires structural changes to fix as it took a generation to develop and will probably require a generation to fix.

So since "regulatory enviorment" changes may occur in the next 2-3 years, that somehow should have an impact on how his bonus structure is set up now? I don't understand why that has anything to do with anything.
I am not going to disagree with you, $46m is a lot of money. However, just because it's a lot doesn't mean he shouldn't be entitled to it if the bottom line is strong.

Like I stated earlier, you can't pick and choose how to grade someone: whether it's in your opinion "gimmicks or actual growth", a goal is a goal and it was hit.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So since "regulatory enviorment" changes may occur in the next 2-3 years, that somehow should have an impact on how his bonus structure is set up now? I don't understand why that has anything to do with anything.
I am not going to disagree with you, $46m is a lot of money. However, just because it's a lot doesn't mean he shouldn't be entitled to it if the bottom line is strong.

Like I stated earlier, you can't pick and choose how to grade someone: whether it's in your opinion "gimmicks or actual growth", a goal is a goal and it was hit.

The problem lies with HOW the goals are set, In the US they are short term and frequently are laughably easy to reach the goals are not transparent to shareholders either so the supposed owners of the company have no control i.e. hey this guy does not get a bonus because he showed up for work 80% of the time.

In Europe and Asia goals are frequently long term as is the payoff frequently on the order of 3-5 years which encourage managers to grow the business rather than resort to short term tricks which work for a quarter or so, The goals set in the EU and Asia also tend to be transparent to the shareholders due to a much stronger regulatory regime.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Tim Cook got a raise as well, But his was only a company which radically boosted margins and GREW their business - oh and by the way has $159 Billion in CASH ON HAND - Why that's almost equal to DIS entire market cap.

It seems you can rate companies by their CEO's paycheck - the smaller it is the more successful the company is.

AAPL 9.2 Mil, DIS 46 Mil - And yes I'm happy with my shares of AAPL.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/01/22/iraise-apple-ceo-cook-gets-a-117-pay-boost/

The numbers for Cook

Salary: $1,748,462
Non-equity incentive plan pay: $6,700,000
Other compensation: $774,176
Total: $9,222,638

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom