Anybody get a 35% raise last year?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Imagine if you had a house. It needed major repairs, new windows to stop the draught coming in, new guttering, a new boiler, new heater, new carpets, etc - but it would cost money. Instead you see it does the job - namely it's a roof under your head, somewhere you can go to sleep, etc. And this would save you thousands. You could use those thousands to show how big your bank balance is to people.

However, a few years down the line the next owner of that house will see it collapse and need MORE investment to put the rights of what you didn't do.

That's the work of this current CEO - a total disgrace of man for the parks at Disney.
If the roof is under your head I think it's too late.

JordanNite

I was just pointing out that there is investment. You used a dramatically inaccurate statement.

You are honestly sitting here and trying to tell me this CEO has shown love and investment in the Disney Parks?

Let's look at Orlando - tell me what under his tenure he has done. Don't you dare say that Fantasy Land expansion. I'm talking a major world class product this CEO has got behind and invested in.

Nothing - that's the answer. His bottom is money and profit.

The guy is a movies man - that's his passion and what he wants to spread his love on. He'd rather invest billions in securing the rights to Lucas Film, rather than MILLIONS on the parks. That's his love. And he's been woeful at the movie division to - John Carter Of Maars, The Lone Ranger, Prince of Persia (some of the biggest flops in movie history) would have seen any other CEO been fired. But he struck gold and luckily with Frozen - a movie he had very little faith in!

The man is a disgrace - would be good riddence when he goes and some other poor sucker can pick up his mess.

Last edited:

rob0519

Our company's CEO's 2013 compensation was up 120% from 2012 to $31 million. My raise for the same period was 2%. With the increased cost in health benefits my take home pay actually went down. In fact with the price of health care premiums increasing every year, my take home pay is virtually where it was 10 years ago despite 10 years of raises.

JordanNite

No I am not. I'm honestly sitting here telling you that your comment that there has been no investment in the parks is factually inaccurate.

He is the CEO of the biggest tourist attraction in the world - namely the four parks at Disney in Orlando. You tell me under his tenure what he has invested.

Oh wait, the new queue on Peter Pan !!!!

JordanNite

The only reason we are seeing investment in a few attractions now is because his tenure will be ending soon - and it's the next CEO who will have the debts on his profit sheet.

This CEO has played a clever game - and we can see today that his salary is measured on profits. If you invest nothing, you're profits are going to be high ! Why spend 200 million on a new project, when without it you can still see moderate gains.

It's the worst type of CEO - who plays games. I've seen many a CEO's who do this - and ultimately the company itself that suffers in the long run.

The parks require love, investment, and it might take a few years for the profits to come back. This CEO didn't want this, as the profits will probably show up on the next man's profit sheet, with all the debt on his.

He had no choice but to invest in DCA as without it the park would have failed, and he couldn't let that happen. But take it with a pinch of salt how much they say they invested.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
He is the CEO of the biggest tourist attraction in the world - namely the four parks at Disney in Orlando. You tell me under his tenure what he has invested.

Oh wait, the new queue on Peter Pan !!!!
Yes. He has invested. Maybe not as much as you would like. But he has invested. Now if you want to come back and say "he has not invested as much as I personally would like for there have been invested in the parks", then you would have a factual statement.

NelsonRD

The problem - when was the last time you heard of a CEO making a down to earth salary because their company underperformed? Somehow, regardless of performance, high pay and a towering bonus are still in the cards. Just not as big as if they met their metrics.

Alan Mulally took a $1 a year paycheck from Ford - and he saved Ford, and Boeing. What is he worth?
You asked about salary, so discount all other sources of CEO income.

mousehockey37

The only reason we are seeing investment in a few attractions now is because his tenure will be ending soon - and it's the next CEO who will have the debts on his profit sheet.

This CEO has played a clever game - and we can see today that his salary is measured on profits. If you invest nothing, you're profits are going to be high ! Why spend 200 million on a new project, when without it you can still see moderate gains.

It's the worst type of CEO - who plays games. I've seen many a CEO's who do this - and ultimately the company itself that suffers in the long run.

The parks require love, investment, and it might take a few years for the profits to come back. This CEO didn't want this, as the profits will probably show up on the next man's profit sheet, with all the debt on his.

He had no choice but to invest in DCA as without it the park would have failed, and he couldn't let that happen. But take it with a pinch of salt how much they say they invested.

There's a lot of empty space in FutureWorld. There's a lot of empty space in DHS. There are a lot of rides that need to be shut down for extended time to be refurbished. There's a lot of good entertainment that met its end and got replaced with things far less entertaining acts or just nothing at all.

But don't worry, have a cup of Starbucks ;) it'll make it all better. You can then go every where with your Starbucks and see all the old Frozen stuff and NEW Frozen stuff as they bring back more Frozen Summer stuff...

JordanNite

You want to run by Yahoo Finance (or your finance site of choice) real quick, and then see if you want to walk that one back?

Yep the Disney stock has surged these past few years - a fair bit of it to do with the massive success of Frozen, and the Lucas Film buyout. But we are talking about investment in the parks. Specifically Orlando. He's been a disgrace. An utter shambles.

The stock could have gone up even more had this man shown love for the parks. The parks in Orlando have shown small rises around the 2% annually. You just know with investment they have an ability to go up the double digits.

The sooner this man is gone the sooner we can move on. He's done two things - bought Lucas Film and greenlit Star Wars which is why the shares are so strong, and got lucky with Frozen - a film he had very little faith in, if you judge by how much they spent on marketting it.

The worst thing is - he's around for another 3 years. You just know, he's going to slow down any investment he might have green lit, as it will hurt the profits under his tenure.

JordanNite

Also the little improvements around Magic Kingdom, i doubt he even knows or cares about this - they are taken out the annual Disney Budget the parks for their maintenance. The Fantasy Land was only a means to increase more land space in a congested area, and it was done so slowly they were probably using the yearly money to pay for it, rather than it being a green lit project from the head.

And are you really trying to say Cars Land cost nearly 4 times Harry Potter?! Don't make me laugh.

MattM

Yep the Disney stock has surged these past few years - a fair bit of it to do with the massive success of Frozen, and the Lucas Film buyout. But we are talking about investment in the parks. Specifically Orlando. He's been a disgrace. An utter shambles.

The stock could have gone up even more had this man shown love for the parks. The parks in Orlando have shown small rises around the 2% annually. You just know with investment they have an ability to go up the double digits.

The sooner this man is gone the sooner we can move on. He's done two things - bought Lucas Film and greenlit Star Wars which is why the shares are so strong, and got lucky with Frozen - a film he had very little faith in, if you judge by how much they spent on marketting it.

The worst thing is - he's around for another 3 years. You just know, he's going to slow down any investment he might have green lit, as it will hurt the profits under his tenure.
No. You are wrong. The stock had been surging for 7 years, well before Frozen and Lucasfilm Or the Star Wars reboot ever happened. This is irrefutable, regardless of your personal opinion of him, and we can go back and look at charts, etc and prove that.

You are judging a CEO of a multinational media/entertainment conglomerate that has 5 divisions based on what YOU don't like at one park. Which is just silly.

Matt_Black

No. You are wrong. The stock had been surging for 7 years, well before Frozen and Lucasfilm Or the Star Wars reboot ever happened. This is irrefutable, regardless of your personal opinion of him, and we can go back and look at charts, etc and prove that.

You are judging a CEO of a multinational media/entertainment conglomerate that has 5 divisions based on what YOU don't like at one park. Which is just silly.

Indeed. Blaming Iger for all of Walt Disney World is like blaming Iger for putting Once Upon a Time in Wonderland in a bad time slot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was just pointing out that there is investment. You used a dramatically inaccurate statement.

I used @Parent
You want to run by Yahoo Finance (or your finance site of choice) real quick, and then see if you want to walk that one back?

No - the one year chart shows DIS just tracking the market it fell to a low of 70 in the Feb 2014 flash crash it has just tracked the larger market despite 7 BILLION in stock repurchases.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Good people produce good results.

Pay the man.

Why is everyone so concerned and envious about what everybody else has?

Other media conglomerates have done BETTER than Disney over the past few years, Disney has attained its growth since 2010 via price increases and service cuts not in organic growth in it's markets with the notable exception of Frozen.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I used @Parent
I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

When I posted this.

I was responding directly to this.

Huge project at DAK? Let's wait and see till it's finished yeah, already the budget been cut for it.

Project at MK? Let's not pretend this was some world class new addition, it was merely a way to create more space in a condensed area.

Frozen project? Yep that's rite, a cheap re-do (using the same tracks) of an out of date Norweigen attraction to one of Disneys biggest ever hits.

Disney Springs? Yes, agreed - but it was either invest or let the park fail. Don't think he had a choice. Props though he actually did this - he must have been having the shakes, a nervous wreck signing of for this project, as ultimatley it would mean a negative on the end of year profits sheet. I'd also take it with a pinch of salt how much Disney say they invested in the project.

Till the attendance at Disney drops in Orlando, we won't see any major investment under his tenure.

Disgracefull ownership - he's invested in not one major attraction during his tenure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom