Any Tips ?!

DicksonGR

Original Poster
Well in just under two weeks our group of six scottish disney lovers are heading across the pond to florida and for the first time we will be hiring a car.

We all drive over here in the UK but all drive manual cars and have never driven an automatic (which is what I assume we will get). And to throw even more confusion into the pot, everything is opposite. (other side of the road and different drivers side) I'm worried! :p

Any advice?

kstella

Yes, I'm sure that you will get a car with an automatic transmission. You should have no trouble operating it once you get over the urge to hit the clutch and shift!:)

Unless you have a burning need for a car, why not rely on Disney transportation?:shrug:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Automatic... one thing though, to shift it from park, you must press the brake pedal.

anywho, the pedals are in the same order, and the shift patterns remain the same.

CAPTAIN HOOK

The best advice I can give is -

Read the vehicles instruction manual BEFORE leaving the rental depot - find out where lights, indicators, wipers and horn are located

While the driver gets used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, keep noise in the car down to a minimum except the navigator.

To prevent an emergency stop (pressing the brake with the left foot while looking for the clutch) drive with the left foot behind the right leg to prevent an automatic reflex action on the brake

kstella

Make sure you have change for the tolls. I don't remember exactly how much they are, but if you have about $5.00 worth, you should be safe. You won't need pennies or nickels, quarters and dimes will be okay.

cloudboy

Instead of focusing on which side of the road, think about which side of the car you are on. Drive meets driver. Another words, keep yourself (the driver) towards the center of the road. Helps overcome the which side of the road I should be on dilemma.
Don't know who you are booking through but a few companies, if you request i ahead of time, are able to scrap up a manual. But not always, and not very easily. But you might find an auto much more enjoyable the first time you are driving in Florida anyway.

rwdavis2

You'll pick it up fine. I learned to drive on the "wrong" side of the road starting in Edinburgh, over to Glasgow, down through Wales and back to Heathrow. Only came close to killing us one time. ;-)
Have a great trip,
Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom