Any Recommendations?

NJDis

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone has any experience with this, so I thought I would ask. I currently have 160 points (1 year allotment) banked and get another 160 points in December. The 2 years together still leaves our family about 75 points shy of what we need for a reservation at a non-home resort we wanted to try. I tried a rental company but was told that they don't do point transfers. The best I could do there is to do 2 separate reservations, one with my points and one with rented points, but there would be a good chance we would have to change rooms and we are looking to avoid that with a baby that will be turning 1 right when we are looking to do our trip. I was looking to avoid going into a 3rd years points and Disney will only do 25 points for the additional one time rental so Im running out of options. Has anyone ever had a similar experience and if so, do you have any recommendations?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Pay cash for extra day/days after you buy your 24 (it's not 25) one time use extra points. We have done this several times and you get a discount on the room (if they have some available left for cash bookings through DVC) for the cash portion with DVC when booking with member services. It will be considered a split stay but you will not have to change rooms if you keep the same room type as they can note it's a continuous reservation. :)

dan8302

Borrow points from the year ahead. If you plan things right you can actually use three years worth of points at the same time. (Banked, current and future)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Borrow points from the year ahead. If you plan things right you can actually use three years worth of points at the same time. (Banked, current and future)

We always were borrowing already how our trips fell that we needed extra so we paid a few cash days, but yes that is another great option. ;)

dreamfinder

If you don't want to borrow from your own points you may need to work directly with an owner instead of going through a rental broker. However technically you can't do it for payment. From the official DVC Terms
Members are prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any transferring of Vacation Points.
From the details on this page https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/points/transfer/ found here -> https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/points/Transfering_rules_final.pdf

There is no way to guarantee avoiding having to transfer rooms except for borrowing your own points.

slappy magoo

This. You can bank AND borrow and use 3 years worth of points at a time, if you wanted.(EDIT:I wrote this before seeing your subsequent message)

Also, depending on the type of room you want, renting points might not save you much money. Namely, 1BR units. A studio, sure it'll probably save you a good chunk. But when you use points, a 1BR unit is very close to twice as many points as a studio in the same resort. But for people looking to rent the room direct from Disney, even paying rack rates, the cash cost of a 1BR is NOT nearly twice as much as a studio. It's often closer to 45-55% higher. Plus, as a DVC member, you could get a member discount on the room if you're paying cash, if there isn't a discount open to the general public that's even better.

One final thing - I won't say not to worry about it, but there have been occasions where I've used DVC points and then paid for an additional night or two in the same room. I've always been warned we might get switched. It's never happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom