Antartica opens on May 24

cheezbat

The other forum must've been exaggerating. The opening ceremony started at 8:45 and nobody was let in until about 7-8 minutes later. I was at the opening ceremony and we joined the queue for the line at 8:55am. We were out of the ride (after two breakdowns while waiting) shortly after 10am. There's no way it was 3-4 hours unless they joined around 9:30. My friend got to the park at 9:30 and by then, they were advertising the wait as 3-4 hours.
Your not exactly right. I got there at 8, was in the first hundred or so people, but didn't get on until 12:30...you know why? Because when they opened up the actual area, they siphoned everyone in at once, and people came from around behind us and cut us. I had a good thousand people get in front of me, and I was not happy about that. Made me feel like I should have pushed my way through like msny people did to me.

xApril

Your not exactly right. I got there at 8, was in the first hundred or so people, but didn't get on until 12:30...you know why? Because when they opened up the actual area, they siphoned everyone in at once, and people came from around behind us and cut us. I had a good thousand people get in front of me, and I was not happy about that. Made me feel like I should have pushed my way through like msny people did to me.
True, it was quite the "mad dash" to get into the queue.

disney1077

Quick Review from me,

I love the land, while on the smaller side it has top notch theming. Easily the best themed land at any Busch or SeaWorld park. The facade is beautiful and the preshow sets the tone very nicely. It's cute and innocent with a twist of danger is what I'm thinking right out of the gate. The interior queue is rather small and will probably hold a 30 min wait inside. I think the queue is also just phenomenal. Once you reach the split of wild or mild you then get ushered into a small preshow room. After this the doors open and you enter the load platform and onto the RV's. My favorite aspect of this entire expansion is the RV's, there just amazing.

Once we depart the RV's rotate, spin, and essentially dance with others as they group up to prepare to leave the platform as one. The ride itself is very colorful and will be popular with small kids. The ride is very short though, roughly 2:30 minutes with 4 scenes unless you count the load platform and exit, then it's six. The other downfall is we lose the story and I mean quickly. It's like this; greeting, formal introduction, dancing, dancing, dancing, danger, more dancing, singing with dancing, over. Its just like why was my RV just twirling about for 90 seconds, where is Puck?, is he dead?, just no info at all. I mean No explanation at all just done. But the ride overall is cute.

The penguin exhibit is top notch though and is instantly the best animal exhibit on site. SeaWorld has really thrown you into the animals habitats. Oh did I mention its freezing! It's 30 degrees year round in the exhibit and not something many will be able to stand for more than 5-6 mins. The overall land of Antarctica is a solid addition to SeaWorld and gives families another reason to visit this Summer.

What is the difference between the wild or mild?

DBF John

Yeah my wife and I were about in the front 200 hundred or so at the ceremony and, we ended up half way around Pacific Point in line and spent about 2+ hours in que .....waited in front of the load door for 20 minutes or so while they cycled the system

OFTeric

Yeah my wife and I were about in the front 200 hundred or so at the ceremony and, we ended up half way around Pacific Point in line and spent about 2+ hours in que .....waited in front of the load door for 20 minutes or so while they cycled the system

I guess I got really lucky. I rode twice and didn't have any breakdowns. But I am really in love with this area, and I can't wait for the crowds to die down so I can have it to myself.

disney1077

I saw a photo on Instagram that they have these huge lockers for Antarctica and was wondering can you not bring your purse/backpack with you on the ride?

OFTeric

I saw a photo on Instagram that they have these huge lockers for Antarctica and was wondering can you not bring your purse/backpack with you on the ride?

You can. But some electronic equipment does not fare well going from humid hot to dry cold back to humid hot. When I took my DSLR in there, it took it almost 30 minutes after we excited to re-acclimate to the humid.

OFTeric

BLUkRkVCAAI5CXs.jpg:large

I love how the ice glows with the sunlight.

The Mighty Tim

Looks cool. Literally!

I've been to the real Antarctica, and I've often found it difficult to explain what it feels like, and what it smells like. If I went on this attraction with my friends and family, it might help me explain it a bit better.

ISTCrew20

I was able to ride twice today and wanted to share some additional thoughts -

1) the park is a mess in terms of internal communication right now. Nobody seems to know when the park opens (8 or 9. It makes a difference when you want to get there early to beat the line) and Antarctica is hosting a lot of private parties ... During park operating hours. Be warned if you plan to visit Antarctica anytime between 6p and park close, the realm will probably be open only for private parties (aka closed for day Guests) ... This is extremely frustrating and I have already voiced my frustration to both guest services and the guest comments email mailbox. It's just a terrible business's practice.

Anyway, I was able to ride twice this morning (after showing up at 8:50 because I called the park and was told opening was at 9. It was at 8. Antarctica was already a 45 min wait at 8:55) - anyway, I was able to examine things a little more in depth:

- the grouper team member can, at the touch of a button, change a mild preshow room to a wild one based on demand. Lighting and projections change too at the change of a button. Really cool.

- while on the ride, between the ice cavern room and the first blizzard video room, there was a delay with two of the cars not moving into the next room. Instead of our car stopping, our car backtracked into the previous room and did another loop around, "dancing" with the newer cars.

2 technological aspects that I didn't catch before that I thought were really neat. While the ride is very short (can't fix that), hopefully they will work on some tweaks to make it more enjoyable (more to look at/additional narration)

Crazydisneyfanluke

This is a new step for Seaworld! I know its not up to its competitors but, Seaworld invests its money into Rehab of animals. The ride will be changed over the next few years to make the story more complete ad flowing. the technology in the ride is amazing and i hope that the technology will help improve other rides and shows.
On SeaWorlds part it was a great move, they will figure things out as they are not used to large crowds in a small area.
Universal and Seaworld seem to be the only theme parks moving forward. Adding benches or themed bathrooms isnt cutting it for Disney.

ChevisMickey

Unimpressed. Had front-of-the-line passes and still waited 30 minutes. The 'ride' portion made 0 sense for the attraction. I never visited the old exhibit, but my sister who came with us had many times, and she did not like the new set-up. So glad I did not wait in the regular line. The food station looked good, but we did not eat there. The coke drink they have for the attraction was like cream soda lite and tasted delicious. Sea World needs to stick to the animal part of their mission. Theme park attractions need to be separate, not integrated. Love Manta, hated Antarctica ride portion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom