Another Test Eliminating Standby - now at Anna & Elsa M&G

DManRightHere

Maybe they need to make Character Meet and Greets as a FP (not FP+) system. They have the machines still. Just implement them in few areas of the park. But don't allow a standby line. Just FP. I wonder how it would work? just thinking out loud.`

I think that's about how the soarin and be our guest test worked. Except cm's were handing out a fp type paper to guests.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
These tests are basically the same thing as legacy FP. You can walk up on 'day of' and get a return time for later in the day and once they are gone thats it. So after pouring millions of dollars into creating the FP+ system they have reverted back to legacy FP for high demand attractions. But you also have to account for the people who actually were able to make a FP+ reservation online or through MDE so Disney has "added" extra FP for the 'day of' guests. Doesnt adding more FP on the day of kind of defeat the purpose of making a reservation weeks or months prior AND clog up the system as well. ???? They are "testing" the exact same system they used prior to FP+.

So many people harped on the fact that Disney was genius for creating FP+ and how they dont have to be at rope drope and "race" to the ride to get a god return time. Now you must either stay up late to get online and book a FP+ at the exact moment the window opens for them 60 days out, OR be at rope drope and race there to get a return time. Ya, Disney is really making progress.

neoshinok

Had to copy this post from @natatomic from the other standby test.

"Yes, that's for the standby line."
"No, but I have my FP right here. See? It's a paper ticket like FPs have always been."
"No, FP is the new standby. You're behind the times, old man. Now you have to wait in line to get a ticket to wait for your return time to wait your turn. It's the latest and greatest in making sure you don't wait."
"Why didn't I just get in the standby earlier then? Instead of all this ticket nonsense?"
"Oh, we don't allow that. We can't allow you to wait that long. You either get to wait to NOT wait, or your just don't get to wait at all. But you're very lucky. There are only so few people allowed to wait in this magical line. It's truly a privilege to wait to not wait."

RayTheFirefly

These tests are basically the same thing as legacy FP. You can walk up on 'day of' and get a return time for later in the day and once they are gone thats it. So after pouring millions of dollars into creating the FP+ system they have reverted back to legacy FP for high demand attractions. But you also have to account for the people who actually were able to make a FP+ reservation online or through MDE so Disney has "added" extra FP for the 'day of' guests. Doesnt adding more FP on the day of kind of defeat the purpose of making a reservation weeks or months prior AND clog up the system as well. ???? They are "testing" the exact same system they used prior to FP+.

So many people harped on the fact that Disney was genius for creating FP+ and how they dont have to be at rope drope and "race" to the ride to get a god return time. Now you must either stay up late to get online and book a FP+ at the exact moment the window opens for them 60 days out, OR be at rope drope and race there to get a return time. Ya, Disney is really making progress.
And all of that ignores what many of us have been saying for a while: what if you want to be spontaneous? What if you're a local and you just want to drop in for half a day? What if you decide two days before to drive to Orlando from wherever to go to WDW? They make it impossible to do that now.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
"No, FP is the new standby.

That basically sums it up. Is this what they want? The whole system is starting to feel like a poorly built house of cards and its gonna crumble as attendance at the parks rises without new attractions to spread out crowds. Disney must know this and they must know that it wont hold out until Avatar Land is complete (which hasnt even gone vertical yet, or has it?)

prberk

And all of that ignores what many of us have been saying for a while: what if you want to be spontaneous? What if you're a local and you just want to drop in for half a day? What if you decide two days before to drive to Orlando from wherever to go to WDW? They make it impossible to do that now.

And heaven forbid you discover a restaurant on your vacation that you did not know about before and would rather eat there tonight than at the one that you reserved with a credit card two months ago for tonight when your friends told you that you "have" to reserve every nice dinner or risk not having a decent place to eat.

I think new folks now have to take a community college course on Walt Disney World before they come so that they can know about every attraction and restaurant that they might "need" to reserve before they go, and to know for SURE so that they can reserve them with a credit card... And they will need to make sure that they attended class on the day that they went over the rules on when the reservations come open.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Spontaneity is long gone. Disney is soooooo focused on squeezing out as much money from guests as possible that they have truly lost sight of what its all about. Only problem is that the methods they are using arent even working so they have become so desperate to try anything that its gotten to a point where they cant even remember that families are visiting to just have a vacation and spend time together. It feels like if that is your purpose for a visit, they do not want you there.

prberk

Spontaneity is long gone. Disney is soooooo focused on squeezing out as much money from guests as possible that they have truly lost sight of what its all about. Only problem is that the methods they are using arent even working so they have become so desperate to try anything that its gotten to a point where they cant even remember that families are visiting to just have a vacation and spend time together. It feels like if that is your purpose for a visit, they do not want you there.

You know, the best thing that they could do at this point, is to have Bob Iger or some other executives, take off the business suits and give in their backstage passes, and simply plan to go to Walt Disney World for a regular vacation under a different name. Experience it like a guest, and see what they come back to say. Some of these things will work for them, others will not. Have them make their own hotel reservations and buy their own tickets; then make ride reservations and ADRs, if they choose to, by downloading the app. Maybe also have some do it as day guests who are in Orlando for a convention and had some time for Disney World while they are there.

Then experience it all, perhaps with the instruction to rely completely on Disney transportation onsite and to try to experience it all like it was something new, and to find something that might cause you to change plans. Take friends for family with them, maybe with kids who might need a nap or need to get fed. And just see how it all works out.

I know that they won't do it. But sometimes experience with family and friends is the best focus group you can have. Some things will work well; other parts of this craziness and insane need for complete planning will become evident.

dadddio

I agree with the principle of credit card guarantee - however in practice it kind of stinks. We're going with a group of 8 (so we have the honor of paying $80 to not eat a meal somewhere) and have basically cancelled all of our ADRs that weren't character meals/must-dos (so we have just 1 at Akershus).

Just too many variables to ensure that the stars will align and we'll be ready, willing, and physically at a particular location to eat within 15 minutes of what we scheduled months ago...I'm not willing to bet $80/meal for that, especially since you have to cancel the day before (till midnight) and I can't seem to find a way to call/reschedule on the fly ("hey, we have a 3pm ADR, we'll be there at 3:30, please don't charge me $80 for being a no-show!"). At least you get an hour return window for FP+.

Thanks, but no thanks.
I just wanted to share that last September, we were an hour late for our Akershus reservation and they got us in. I don't know what the poicly is regarding no-showing and losing the deposit and I certainly wouldn't plan on being late and expecting to not be penalized, but it worked out for us that one time.

Last edited:

dadddio

I think new folks now have to take a community college course on Walt Disney World before they come so that they can know about every attraction and restaurant that they might "need" to reserve before they go, and to know for SURE so that they can reserve them with a credit card... And they will need to make sure that they attended class on the day that they went over the rules on when the reservations come open.
I agree with your sentiment, but it kind of feels like it's always been that way.

We are building a new house and selling our old one so my wife and I have been trying to get everything we own sorted through and packed up. Yesterday, I was going through a bunch of books when I came to a Birnbaum guide from the mid-eighties that I had bought in preparation for our first trip together to WDW. I still remember studying that book to learn the best ways to tour.

space42

I agree with your sentiment, but it kind of feels like it's always been that way.

We are building a new house and selling our old one so my wife and I have been trying to get everything we own sorted through and packed up. Yesterday, I was going through a bunch of books when I came to a Birnbaum guide from the mid-eighties that I had bought in preparation for our first trip together to WDW. I still remember studying that book to learn the best ways to tour.

But the REALLY BIG differences were: No fastpass. Just show up and ride whatever you want. No ADR's needed (and dining plan). Goto EPCOT Center, check out worldkey, get info on what you may want to eat that night, talk to a real person via video chat, and make your choice. You may have wanted to have a guide book - but you didn't need a spreadsheet and a degree in WDW to enjoy it.
I feel sorry for people who only know WDW from this decade. It didn't always use to be this way.

dadddio

But the REALLY BIG differences were: No fastpass. Just show up and ride whatever you want. No ADR's needed (and dining plan). Goto EPCOT Center, check out worldkey, get info on what you may want to eat that night, talk to a real person via video chat, and make your choice. You may have wanted to have a guide book - but you didn't need a spreadsheet and a degree in WDW to enjoy it.
I feel sorry for people who only know WDW from this decade. It didn't always use to be this way.
Agreed, mostly, but it's important to note that we look back at those days with rose colored glasses. I recall waiting for hours in line before FP. I'd rather not go back to that.

For decades now we have all learned the ins and outs of WDW and benefitted from our knowledge. People that didn't learn not to go to MK on Monday suffered for their mistake. Those that didn't understand FPs got to wait in more long SB lines. (and on and on) So sure, someone who just decides spur of the moment to go to WDW with absolutely no clue is going to not have an optimal visit. That's as much of a fact of life as the idea that someone should be able to wait in a long line if they want to, I guess.

RayTheFirefly

Agreed, mostly, but it's important to note that we look back at those days with rose colored glasses. I recall waiting for hours in line before FP. I'd rather not go back to that.

For decades now we have all learned the ins and outs of WDW and benefitted from our knowledge. People that didn't learn not to go to MK on Monday suffered for their mistake. Those that didn't understand FPs got to wait in more long SB lines. (and on and on) So sure, someone who just decides spur of the moment to go to WDW with absolutely no clue is going to not have an optimal visit. That's as much of a fact of life as the idea that someone should be able to wait in a long line if they want to, I guess.
What about someone who decides spur of the moment to WDW, but does know all the ins and outs? They're still screwed.

Edit: The reason I ask is that I am one of those people. Most of my trips are not planned more than 20-30 days in advance, and I feel like I'm getting shorthanded. :(

BrianV

I really don't want to start a universal / disney argument, but I will say that the spontaneity you could have in disney on the 70s and 80s is the way universal is today. No dining reservations are needed--really anywhere. No advanced reservations for rides--though apparently there was a return pass system for diagon alley this summer. But universal has fewer guests and far less to do so people come for a shorter time. And disney has many more guests than it did back then. They are trying to ration a limited resource in some reasonable way. Some techniques will work and some won't for different people. I'd love to see more rides and enlarged footprint. And I think that is coming, slowly. But I fear a larger disney will merely bring more tourists and be net neutral at best.

dadddio

What about someone who decides spur of the moment to WDW, but does know all the ins and outs? They're still screwed.

Edit: The reason I ask is that I am one of those people. Most of my trips are not planned more than 20-30 days in advance, and I feel like I'm getting shorthanded. :(
I hear you. What kind of luck do you have with FP+ prereservations 20-30 days out?

natatomic

Basically, they're doing the test again at one of the slowest times of year so there will be far fewer guests to upset. That way, when the number of complaints is negligible, they can tout the test as a success and then implement the procedure permenantly.

(And when it's busy again and everyone hates it, they can just turn it around on the guests - "you're the ones that gave it such rave reviews before!")

RayTheFirefly

I hear you. What kind of luck do you have with FP+ prereservations 20-30 days out?
FP+? Spotty, depends on the time of year. Attractions like Mine Train? Zero luck so far. Maybe I'll have more luck in the down season.

Dining? Forget it. I've never eaten at BOG for dinner for this very reason. :(

space42

I really don't want to start a universal / disney argument, but I will say that the spontaneity you could have in disney on the 70s and 80s is the way universal is today. No dining reservations are needed--really anywhere. No advanced reservations for rides--though apparently there was a return pass system for diagon alley this summer. But universal has fewer guests and far less to do so people come for a shorter time. And disney has many more guests than it did back then. They are trying to ration a limited resource in some reasonable way. Some techniques will work and some won't for different people. I'd love to see more rides and enlarged footprint. And I think that is coming, slowly. But I fear a larger disney will merely bring more tourists and be net neutral at best.

I really don't want to have the DIS / Uni discussion again either but it is worth noting the following. BOTH USF and IOA have more attractions than every park other than the Magic Kingdom. That is unless you start counting meet and greets, etc. as attractions. How about just saying Major Attractions? That is the real issue here. All 4 Disney Parks need more attractions period. All of them have less to do than 10 years ago. This is the actual problem that Disney just seems unwilling to correct and instead we see all of this FP+ nonsense.

prberk

I agree with both of you, which is why my primary thought is that they have taken a couple of reasonable ideas (FP and priority seating) and expanded them to the point of being a train wreck for the idea of being on vacation.

An argument could be made that FP in itself makes the standby line longer anyway, so it can even be argued that we should go back to letting the line be self-regulating -- with the proper solution being longer hours and more attractions (both of which were available and standard during the eighties for the two parks that were open then) from the company viewpoint, and "choose a different time to ride" from a guest viewpoint.

And I liked the priority seating idea (as opposed to ADRS). You could even put in simple rules that you could not have concurrent reservations (which, I know, would be hard to enforce, but would at least help). You don't know how many times we have made plans for dinner, and meant them, but ended up having to have a late lunch or a sick child or being caught up on something in another park that afternoon that took longer than we expected; and I would have incurred the wrath of my whole family had I insisted that we stick to the plan we had made a month ago. Tired and cranky (or even wet from the unexpected downpour) does not go well with dinner company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom