Another generation: Magic Kingdom (my way)

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't have a cut and dried answer but a lot of people are calling both Mickey and Oswald "brothers".

If you want to pay homage to the Walt and Mickey statue, you can also try to incorporate "partners" into the name. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Well, maybe the statue could be called "Brothers", but I'm not going to call it "Brothertown"; that's just ridiculous.

My main hangup with Mickeytown (or Mickeyville, as @Twilight_Roxas thought of) is this: Mickey's name seems to indicate what TV Tropes calls an "ego-opolis": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Egopolis.

One reason why I thought of Mickeytown is so that it could be replicated for Disneyland Paris and given the name "Mickeyville". Like I said, the only other name I could think of that is less egotistical was Mickey's Startown, which has something of a cross between "Starland" and "Toontown".

The funny thing is, according to the article on TV Tropes about Disney theme parks, it includes "Ego-opolis" in the list of tropes: "Walt Disney himself tried to avert this. He named Disneyland after himself (or more accurately after his company) but he didn't want his image to appear anywhere in the park, and during his lifetime it didn't. It was only after his death that 'The Walt Disney Story' was installed in the Main Street Opera House, complete with a mural featuring a huge grinning portrait of Walt. More portraits, statues, etc. have been added over the years, but Walt wouldn't have wanted any of them."

That's why I went with Mickey's Startown, to maybe try and tone it down a tad.

FigmentPigments

Well, maybe the statue could be called "Brothers", but I'm not going to call it "Brothertown"; that's just ridiculous.

My main hangup with Mickeytown (or Mickeyville, as @Twilight_Roxas thought of) is this: Mickey's name seems to indicate what TV Tropes calls an "ego-opolis": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Egopolis.

One reason why I thought of Mickeytown is so that it could be replicated for Disneyland Paris and given the name "Mickeyville". Like I said, the only other name I could think of that is less egotistical was Mickey's Startown, which has something of a cross between "Starland" and "Toontown".

The funny thing is, according to the article on TV Tropes about Disney theme parks, it includes "Ego-opolis" in the list of tropes: "Walt Disney himself tried to avert this. He named Disneyland after himself (or more accurately after his company) but he didn't want his image to appear anywhere in the park, and during his lifetime it didn't. It was only after his death that 'The Walt Disney Story' was installed in the Main Street Opera House, complete with a mural featuring a huge grinning portrait of Walt. More portraits, statues, etc. have been added over the years, but Walt wouldn't have wanted any of them."

That's why I went with Mickey's Startown, to maybe try and tone it down a tad.
I apologize; I didn't mean for you to consider Brothertown as a name. I agree that name is not acceptable. I was hoping maybe that either brother or partner would cause a light bulb to go off. Again, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Can't wait to read further.

mharrington

Original Poster
Okay, so here are some of the "bones" of the new land. One of the attractions, obviously, will be a spot for meet-n-greets with Mickey and Minnie. Note that I posted "a spot". That means that there will be only one spot for both of them. They will now be in a house like usual, but they live together. It has been said, by Walt Disney himself, that Mickey and Minnie are actually married, and only played a dating couple on the screen. However, this will not affect the Town Square Theater at the front of the park. That means that the Magic Kingdom will now be one of the few Disney theme parks (if not the ONLY one) to feature more than one Mickey meet-n-greet spot (the semi-spontaneous spot at Disneyland's Main Street doesn't count).

Mickey and Minnie will live in a house that features elements of both previous houses before, although I'm not really sure how their color schemes won't clash, at least on the outside. For reference, here are the two houses (at least at Toontown Fair):
mickeyhouse.jpg

minnie-country-house.jpg

So based on the two pictures above, how can those two color schemes be merged?

mharrington

Original Poster
Here's a few more tidbits about Mickey's Startown:

Mickey's Startown is more like a small town, something like a slightly Tooned-up version of Medfield or, in a non-Disney case, Fairville (where Pee-wee Herman lives in "Pee-wee's Big Holiday") or Bedford Falls. The entrance is lined with a gas station and a store. The gas station, called Goofy's Gas, is like Oswald's at the CA Adventure, a tiny shop, and resembles something like this:
Goofys-Gas-Station-500x500.jpg

The shop is called Oswald's Lucky Five and Dime, the main shopping area, with a soda fountain inside, connected to something known as Clarabelle's Ice Cream Parlor. Nearby is a movie theater that looks like this, but less flashy (and not called Hollywood Theatre, either):
MBL0014.jpg

Assuming a rumor of a new Tomorrowland restaurant taking over the Tomorrowland Terrace goes through, this is the entrance to Mickey's Color Whirl, a dark ride through old Mickey cartoons. I will get back to it later.

In the meantime, can anyone please provide me with suggestions for how to do a color scheme for Mickey and Minnie so they don't clash? The only idea I have is to do it mostly in Mickey's color scheme, which is more conservative, but even so, I don't want Minnie to feel marginalized; she should have some say in the look of the house.

Keyblade Jedi

Here's a few more tidbits about Mickey's Startown:

Mickey's Startown is more like a small town, something like a slightly Tooned-up version of Medfield or, in a non-Disney case, Fairville (where Pee-wee Herman lives in "Pee-wee's Big Holiday") or Bedford Falls. The entrance is lined with a gas station and a store. The gas station, called Goofy's Gas, is like Oswald's at the CA Adventure, a tiny shop, and resembles something like this:
Goofys-Gas-Station-500x500.jpg

The shop is called Oswald's Lucky Five and Dime, the main shopping area, with a soda fountain inside, connected to something known as Clarabelle's Ice Cream Parlor. Nearby is a movie theater that looks like this, but less flashy (and not called Hollywood Theatre, either):
MBL0014.jpg

Assuming a rumor of a new Tomorrowland restaurant taking over the Tomorrowland Terrace goes through, this is the entrance to Mickey's Color Whirl, a dark ride through old Mickey cartoons. I will get back to it later.

In the meantime, can anyone please provide me with suggestions for how to do a color scheme for Mickey and Minnie so they don't clash? The only idea I have is to do it mostly in Mickey's color scheme, which is more conservative, but even so, I don't want Minnie to feel marginalized; she should have some say in the look of the house.
Looking Good.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm tagging some others to provide me with feedback on what I'm doing:

@MonorailRed
@MANEATINGWREATH
@spacemt354

In the meantime, here's some more information on Mickey's Startown:

Beyond Mickey's Color Whirl, a handful of rides will be on display here, such as at Donald and Goofy's respective houses. Donald's house, which may or may not be boat-themed, will be home to a flying, up/down spinner ride like Dumbo. If the function of the ride looks familiar, that's because it's the Aladdin flying carpet ride, relocated (thus opening up space in Adventureland) and retooled here. It will be called Lucky Duck Flying Aces and the vehicles look something like this:
latest

They will be done in the color schemes of Donald's nephews, as well as Donald himself and Scrooge. The nephews themselves will be stationed on the ground, randomly trying to squirt you with water as you fly by.

I'll do Goofy's residence next time! Until then, would those I have tagged care to chime in?

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, since it seems like no one cares about my ideas but me, I guess I'll go on:

Next door to Donald's home, you have Goofy's place, the look of which is based on this:
6.jpg

It is home to a ride in the expansive garage, a clone of Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters. This ride is known as Goofy's Roller Derby, the queue for which is Goofy's house. As the ride area is themed to a garage, it is indoors. Also, the vehicles are based on the design of this old McDonald's toy created way back when for the opening of Mickey's Birthdayland:
725614975_tp.jpg

It is something of a roller derby, for cars, as they move around to the music of funky tunes. I'm thinking of disco-type tunes similar to Mickey Mouse Disco, but updated. I can't really think of anything, though. The other thing is that each of the cars have different license plates on them that reveal Disney words and phrases, based on the queue for Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride.

That's basically what Goofy's Roller Derby is: it's Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters in an enclosed area.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm tagging some others to provide me with feedback on what I'm doing:

@MonorailRed
@MANEATINGWREATH
@spacemt354

In the meantime, here's some more information on Mickey's Startown:

Beyond Mickey's Color Whirl, a handful of rides will be on display here, such as at Donald and Goofy's respective houses. Donald's house, which may or may not be boat-themed, will be home to a flying, up/down spinner ride like Dumbo. If the function of the ride looks familiar, that's because it's the Aladdin flying carpet ride, relocated (thus opening up space in Adventureland) and retooled here. It will be called Lucky Duck Flying Aces and the vehicles look something like this:
latest

They will be done in the color schemes of Donald's nephews, as well as Donald himself and Scrooge. The nephews themselves will be stationed on the ground, randomly trying to squirt you with water as you fly by.

I'll do Goofy's residence next time! Until then, would those I have tagged care to chime in?
Sorry from some reason I didn't get an alert for the tag...or I missed it.

Either way here are my thoughts.

I love the design of the land so far. It's a unique spin and something I think will work quite well. I love how it's also actually feeling like a town (with the gas station in particular) instead of just a bunch of assorted meet&greet and walk through locations.

The Flying Aces ride above is also a good fit. Though perhaps with planes as the theme...Donald's boat or house wouldn't be the right representation. Perhaps an open field or something that fits with planes.
For the color scheme...perhaps the outside be Mickey and the interior be Minnie. That was you don't have clashing colors...however both get representation.

Overall, great work so far!

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, since it seems like no one cares about my ideas but me, I guess I'll go on:

Next door to Donald's home, you have Goofy's place, the look of which is based on this:
6.jpg

It is home to a ride in the expansive garage, a clone of Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters. This ride is known as Goofy's Roller Derby, the queue for which is Goofy's house. As the ride area is themed to a garage, it is indoors. Also, the vehicles are based on the design of this old McDonald's toy created way back when for the opening of Mickey's Birthdayland:
725614975_tp.jpg

It is something of a roller derby, for cars, as they move around to the music of funky tunes. I'm thinking of disco-type tunes similar to Mickey Mouse Disco, but updated. I can't really think of anything, though. The other thing is that each of the cars have different license plates on them that reveal Disney words and phrases, based on the queue for Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride.

That's basically what Goofy's Roller Derby is: it's Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters in an enclosed area.
In addition I also like the design for Goofy's House - it's quintessential Goofy and the style of the attraction fits well with the town setting.

mharrington

Original Poster
For the color scheme...perhaps the outside be Mickey and the interior be Minnie. That was you don't have clashing colors...however both get representation.

My main concern was not the inside, just the outside. For the inside, we just have their different rooms together. And then the mouse couple are out in the yard out back.

Anyway, to finish up on attraction roundup, in the center is Mickos Park (Mickos being a cross between "Mickey" and "Oswald") and featuring the Brothers statue. There are three meet-n-greet spots here, one for Donald, one for Goofy and the third for a random rare character.

All told, the list of attractions for Mickey's Startown is as follows:

1) Mickey and Minnie's House
2) Mickey's Color Whirl
3) Lucky Duck Flying Aces
4) Goofy's Roller Derby
5) Mickos Park

mharrington

Original Poster
Remember earlier when I said that there would now be a Tron simulator in the spot once occupied by Stitch? That's going to happen to be similar to the Tron coaster. In this case, you would be mounted onto Light Cycles and they would move and sway with the action on the screen, as you try to escape from Master Control.

I'm also thinking of replacing Prince Charming Regal Carrousel with the Fantasia Carrousel. Any thoughts on that?

DlpPhantom

Remember earlier when I said that there would now be a Tron simulator in the spot once occupied by Stitch? That's going to happen to be similar to the Tron coaster. In this case, you would be mounted onto Light Cycles and they would move and sway with the action on the screen, as you try to escape from Master Control.

I'm also thinking of replacing Prince Charming Regal Carrousel with the Fantasia Carrousel. Any thoughts on that?
Keep it it's a classic. Also really like the Tron sim.

mharrington

Original Poster
Keep it it's a classic. Also really like the Tron sim.

Assuming that the rumor of Star Tours at Disneyland leaving Tomorrowland for the Star Wars land holds true, I'm thinking of replacing the old Star Wars ride area with a replica of the Tron simulator idea.

Also, I'm about to try and do some stuff for nighttime. I have some ideas for a new nighttime parade and a fireworks show. Both are variations of previous shows.

mharrington

Original Poster
For the nighttime show, I'm thinking maybe of keeping the Electrical Parade, but renaming it to the Magic Kingdom Electrical Parade and shuffling several of the scenes around, as well as toss in some new ones to expand the length to about the same as Tokyo's Dreamlights parade.

As for the fireworks show, it will be a new version of the World of Color show, similar but not entirely identical to the show at the CA Adventure. The show is entitled "World of Color: A Spectacular of Light, Music and Color". It will open the same as the original show, with snippets of the old "Wonderful World of Color" theme playing and fireworks going off in the air, as well as the original show's announcer saying, "Walt Disney presents..." followed by the show's title. You then hear Walt Disney saying, from the first episode of the show, "Dreams have a way of coming true," followed by a few explosions of color (both in fireworks and colored fountains in the moat (and in the Rivers of America)), after which Walt says, "Color does brighten things up, doesn't it?" It then segues into the "World of Color" theme sung by some teenybopper, which may or may not be the exact same singer as in the original show.

That's the first part of the World of Color show. Any thoughts on that? How should it be the same? How should it be different?

DlpPhantom

For the nighttime show, I'm thinking maybe of keeping the Electrical Parade, but renaming it to the Magic Kingdom Electrical Parade and shuffling several of the scenes around, as well as toss in some new ones to expand the length to about the same as Tokyo's Dreamlights parade.

As for the fireworks show, it will be a new version of the World of Color show, similar but not entirely identical to the show at the CA Adventure. The show is entitled "World of Color: A Spectacular of Light, Music and Color". It will open the same as the original show, with snippets of the old "Wonderful World of Color" theme playing and fireworks going off in the air, as well as the original show's announcer saying, "Walt Disney presents..." followed by the show's title. You then hear Walt Disney saying, from the first episode of the show, "Dreams have a way of coming true," followed by a few explosions of color (both in fireworks and colored fountains in the moat (and in the Rivers of America)), after which Walt says, "Color does brighten things up, doesn't it?" It then segues into the "World of Color" theme sung by some teenybopper, which may or may not be the exact same singer as in the original show.

That's the first part of the World of Color show. Any thoughts on that? How should it be the same? How should it be different?
The world of color show is great. Electrical parade is so out date it isn't fun. Definitely needs to be replaced.

mharrington

Original Poster
The world of color show is great. Electrical parade is so out date it isn't fun. Definitely needs to be replaced.

The only reason I thought of the Electrical Parade to stay is this one ICS Competition section, in which we were tasked with coming up with some improvements for the Electrical Parade, without anything regarding anything not pure Disney (i.e., no Pixar, no Marvel, no Lucasfilm). Here is a link to the thread in question: ICS Weekends : One Sentence Competition Season 2 : Episode 2 Results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom