Another Bus Crash 4/3

fillerup

I think you guys are blowing this age thing way out of proportion. At 81 he has had a LOT more experience driving than most members of this forum have even been alive.

I don't think the age thing in this situation is being blown out of proportion at all.

I'm closer to 80 than I am to 30 :cry: and I know that my reaction times, eyesight and physical capabilities are nowhere near as good as they were just a few years ago. They're very very good, but not what they used to be.

Could I go into training and learn to drive a Disney bus safely? Probably yes. But would I consider doing so in 20 years? Not on your life.

On a related note - I went over to Boardwalk this afternoon, not long after I first saw this thread. Waiting to turn left from Buena Vista Drive onto Epcot Resorts Blvd. I watched two side-by-side Disney buses absolutely blow through a red light.

It wasn't one of those borderline, gonna catch the yellow situations. It was a situation that we've all been in that you see the light changing in plenty of time and you consciously make the decision that you're not going to stop.

And this is within one day of a tragic fatality and the accident being discussed here.

I'm very fond of the Mouse, but I can't help but feel that something is lacking in training and management.

floridabill

Has tom saggs visited WDW yet?? I know he is on some world parks thing. he seems like a man on the go and knows what needs to be done. When is WDW going to be visited by him? I don't think he would be pleased

HMF

Has tom saggs visited WDW yet?? I know he is on some world parks thing. he seems like a man on the go and knows what needs to be done. When is WDW going to be visited by him? I don't think he would be pleased
If I were him I would be firing 95% of the people in charge.

mas

We go to WDW 2-3 times a year. Last year when I was there nearly every ride we rode broke down. Jungle Cruise (we had to be towed), Safari - we had to wait for 1/2 hour or more for the vehicle to re-start, the monorail stopped and we had to wait, Haunted Mansion and several others.

It was a bad day for us - the next day at the park everything went fine.

Things happen, I live less than 3 miles from Kings Island and there are accidents there too.

I'll ride the bus,the monorail and everything else when I can when we go again next month.

Mary Ann

Nearly every year since 1975:wave:

Animaniac93-98

All transportation personnel will be aged 26-30. After that age they will be taken to the back of the WDW property and summarily assassinated as they have no further use to society as we know it.

What happens if someone like Peter Ustinov finds a way to take shelter on Discovery Island or River Country with stray cats? That robot can't keep everyone from escaping.

cowanfamily

I hope more people quit riding the buses because of this. I get tired of standing. :ROFLOL:

Maybe the we should have a driver appreciation day. They just want to feel the love.

goreesha

The Peoplemover at WDW (pardon me, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority) has never been involved in an accident. I know the Disneyland Peoplemover killed a couple of people, but the WDW version has a perfect safety record. So I propose we phase out the buses entirely and convert WDW to an all-Peoplemover system. Do it, Tom Stagg! Do it now!

juan

The Peoplemover at WDW (pardon me, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority) has never been involved in an accident. I know the Disneyland Peoplemover killed a couple of people, but the WDW version has a perfect safety record. So I propose we phase out the buses entirely and convert WDW to an all-Peoplemover system. Do it, Tom Stagg! Do it now!

Well Houston's IAH airport has done that and it works quite well :wave:

TOTGuy

This rather funny to me. Everyone is freaking out about the driver's age, Disney told me they didn't think I was safe because I had one seizure 5 years ago, however they allow people with heart conditions and diabetes to operate attractions, busses, vans, etc. It's a double-standard. I wish more people would stand up for rights of people unfairly removed from jobs. But alas it only takes one word from the company to put an end to my argument: Safety.

Tom

Beta Return
Disney said in an earlier article that all of its drivers must complete a 4 1/2-week training program, which includes one week of preparation to obtain a commercial drivers license and three weeks of on-property driver training. Now how many hours of actual training does that actually entail. That is probably the question that Disney will find itself answering to the Department of Transportation...

I'm not sure that another week's worth of training will prevent a driver from running over a kid that bicycles into the side of the bus OR prevent the human error of being distracted while driving. Unfortunately, you can't teach people to NOT have a lapse in judgment.

If I were him I would be firing 95% of the people in charge.

Right as usual. :rolleyes: Fire all the people who forced this driver into rear-ending another vehicle. All of the managers and trainers specifically made sure that this driver was not made aware of the "pay attention to what's in front of you while driving" policy.

Still think this is a coincidence?

Yup. Please refer to Post #35

If you're referring to Thursday's incident, then this absolutely looks like a coincidence. The two situations don't seem remotely comparable, except for both involving Disney buses.

Deja vu. Please refer to Post #35 :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom