Another Bus Crash 4/3

TalkingHead

You cannot in Florida put an age requirement on a job, so if they had done just that than they would probably be being investigated by the equal opportunity comission now. Sooo if that doesn't define catch 22 than I don't know what does.

Do you seriously think that Disney doesn't put people where they want them? If they didn't want 80 year olds driving buses, they would find a way to locate them in other positions in the parks and resorts.

JT3000

you gonna wrap yourself in bubble wrap too?

I don't know, I might take a cue from Bubble Boy. That seemed to work pretty well.

My family was actually on one of the smaller ferries that sank. Well started to. They overloaded it and it started going down just after the water bridge enroute to Wilderness Lodge. They had to run it aground on the small island there.

It's official, I'm swimming!

Rob562

This one is on Disney, it's that simple... See? I don't have that "pixie dust" poisoning or whatever you cats call it.

Anyway yeah he's too old to be driving but I don't know how you go about that. Can you fail him on an exam if he does everything satisfactorily? I don't know what you do when you got the union...

Anyway I'm wondering if this is the funny old guy I had once drive me from DHS to CBR, he was hilarious...

As someone said earlier, if the State of Florida issues him a CDL license, and he properly passes all training and other test requirements (and possibly health requirements, I don't know the specifics of the training and employment requirements) set up by Disney, there is nothing Disney can do to remove him from the role.

-Rob

TimNRA757

As someone said earlier, if the State of Florida issues him a CDL license, and he properly passes all training and other test requirements (and possibly health requirements, I don't know the specifics of the training and employment requirements) set up by Disney, there is nothing Disney can do to remove him from the role.

-Rob
Right I understand that. It's like the airlines have a mandatory retirement age of 65, but you can be a commercial pilot (135-charter operations) pilot as long as you pass your medicals too so I know there's not much you can do about it... In fact there was a 78 year old not too long ago I know of who got his flight instructor certificate!

JT3000

that isn't even similar, there are way more buses hence a greater probability of accidents

I was comparing two modes of transportation, Disney buses (as a collective) and my car. It's a valid comparison because my car is the only car I would use. I could end up on any of Disney's buses. And in the past week, they've had more accidents than my car ever has, making my car statistically safer. You basically helped prove my point.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
81? No offense to the bus driver, but we didn't let my grandfather operate the TV remote at that age.....

That's totally wrong. You have to take it on a person by person case.

Some 80 y.o.'s are just as capable as you are at most things.

Some 60 y.o.'s are senile. :shrug:

hrcollectibles

I think its time the State of Florida gets a little more stringent on license renewels.. The driver of the bus that started it all was 81!!

Wilt Dasney

I was comparing two modes of transportation, Disney buses (as a collective) and my car. It's a valid comparison because my car is the only car I would use. I could end up on any of Disney's buses. And in the past week, they've had more accidents than my car ever has, making my car statistically safer. You basically helped prove my point.
If you compared the relative number of passengers hauled and miles covered between your car and Disney buses, I doubt your car would come out too far ahead, statistically speaking. In fact, if you've ever had a crash anytime in your driving history, Disney buses might beat your car when all those variables are averaged out.

That doesn't mean Disney should just invoke the law of averages and refuse to take a hard look at their transportation operations in light of what appears to be a potentially alarming trend (even if you discount Thursday's incident as a freak accident). I'm just trying to point out that using statistics might not be as favorable a comparison as you'd think, if the math is handled correctly.

floridabill

Wow. A post I COMPLETELY agree with. Nicely said! :sohappy:

Bus SERVICE at WDW is deplorable, at best. I could go on and on about the brilliant ideas I've had to help improve bus service, dispatching and the like - but that's for another thread....and may be a moot point once the WDWMagic members get Disney to close down bus service completely.

What about those of us who fly???:shrug: I don't want to rent a car for a week or 2 so by stopping the service what then??

HMF

This is truly getting ridiculous. I don't want another Meg Crofton press release I want to hear from Tom Staggs.

Wilt Dasney

Disney isn't going to eliminate the bus service. Considering how badly they want people spending their whole vacations on property, the chance of there being no buses to keep those people from renting cars (cars that can also take them to Universal after they leave Epcot) is probably somewhere around zero.

Also consider that the biggest problems people cite with these buses anymore have to do with them being too full, making too many stops, taking too long to arrive, etc. Basically the complaints boil down to the bus system being too popular with guests and Disney being unwilling to meet that popularity with more buses making quicker trips. The response to that kind of "problem" (and believe me, I sympathize) isn't getting rid of the system altogether.

love disney

Well, I have tried to stay out of the recent bus accident conversations but have a question, and please only give me facts, not speculation or I heard from so-and-so that heard from so-and-so or heard from someone who works there that said...

Does anyone actually know what Disney's training and safety regiment for bus drivers really is? There is so much speculation and blame that this is Disney's fault, so I am curious as to if anyone knows their policies? Obviously the drivers have to pass the State of Florida's licensing requirements, but what else does Disney (or the driver's union for that matter) require? Perhaps there is very stringent training and these accidents have been the result of individuals being careless, not paying attention, etc. and not a result of lack of training on Disney's part.

(Also, in response to the person who asked who has taken a trip recently and not had to wait 45 minutes on a bus, perhaps I have just been lucky but I would fall in that category. I have done 6 trips in the last year and a half and only once waited 45 minutes, and that was to get picked up from DTD.)

Let's all just hope and pray that this is the last accident for a long, long, long time!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've got the perfect solution.

Everyone parks outside of the property. There will be ABSOLUTELY no other means of transportation allowed on property except what is offered by Disney. No bikes, no cars, no outside operated buses, no limos, no taxis, etc.

All transportation personnel will be aged 26-30. After that age they will be taken to the back of the WDW property and summarily assassinated as they have no further use to society as we know it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom