Another Bus Crash 4/3

TalkingHead

His age is such a catch 22. If they hadn't of hired him they'd probably be in trouble for age discrimination, and now that they did they're gonna be scrutinized for who they did hire. But, I do agree that an individual in their 80's should not be driving a bus... :shrug:

It's no Catch 22. Disney, when they hired him, didn't have to put him in the position of driving buses. They could have put him somewhere else--say, behind the front desk at a resort--where safety demands wouldn't be as intense.

captainkidd

It's no Catch 22. Disney, when they hired him, didn't have to put him in the position of driving buses. They could have put him somewhere else--say, behind the front desk at a resort--where safety demands wouldn't be as intense.

Exactly.

Or, if he's been with the company for a while, once he reached the age of say 65, changed his position. They'll obviously spin this with all of this "we put our drivers through annual training, blah blah blah" nonsense, but the fact is, this is incredibly irresponsible on their part. Now, thank GOD no one was seriously injured. If someone had been, I don't want to even think about the consequnces for Disney and the entire transportation system there.

Tom

Beta Return

Employers shall not discriminate based on $ex, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality or religion.

If he applied to be a Disney bus driver, and they said, "No, you're too old," they'd get sued because Florida doesn't have a law preventing 81-year-olds from driving city buses. Thus, discrimination.

It's a lose-lose for everyone. Maybe everyone on here should petition Florida legislature to pass a law covering Bus Driver Qualifications instead of blaming Disney for hiring people who have been given CDLs by the State, thus assuming they can drive a bus.

captainkidd

Employers shall not discriminate based on $ex, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality or religion.

If he applied to be a Disney bus driver, and they said, "No, you're too old," they'd get sued because Florida doesn't have a law preventing 81-year-olds from driving city buses. Thus, discrimination.

It's a lose-lose for everyone. Maybe everyone on here should petition Florida legislature to pass a law covering Bus Driver Qualifications instead of blaming Disney for hiring people who have been given CDLs by the State, thus assuming they can drive a bus.

Eh, they may get a suit filed against them, but I assure you, they've got good enough attorneys that could prove without a doubt, that an 81 year old should NOT be driving a bus carrying tourists. I mean, where do you draw the line? If a person decides to celebrate his 100th birthday by applying for a job as a bus driver, should Disney hire him?

cdunbar

You cannot in Florida put an age requirement on a job, so if they had done just that than they would probably be being investigated by the equal opportunity comission now. Sooo if that doesn't define catch 22 than I don't know what does.

captainkidd

Yeah, who woulda guessed that a fleet of hundreds of vehicles may have bendered a fender. How dare they after the previous incident!

I think the point is, why is this all of a sudden starting to happen? For so long, this wasn't an issue. Now, there 3 crashes in less than 2 weeks. Is there some sort of contest going on that we don't know about?

Tom

Beta Return
Eh, they may get a suit filed against them, but I assure you, they've got good enough attorneys that could prove without a doubt, that an 81 year old should NOT be driving a bus carrying tourists. I mean, where do you draw the line? If a person decides to celebrate his 100th birthday by applying for a job as a bus driver, should Disney hire him?

Hopefully not the same team of lawyers that keep writing blank checks to everyone that thinks they've been "harmed" by Disney. :rolleyes:

JimboJones123

You cannot in Florida put an age requirement on a job, so if they had done just that than they would probably be being investigated by the equal opportunity comission now. Sooo if that doesn't define catch 22 than I don't know what does.

Funny unrelated idiot media story.

I worked at a news station in Dallas when Emmitt Smith broke the all time rushing record. You know, rushing, where they run the ball and NOT catch it.

Anyways, Emmitt Smith was #22.

So, even though the ENTIRE NEWSROOM tried to convince the producer how inappropriate the story tag of "Catch 22" would be since he didn't catch anything, she just wouldn't give up what she thought was the "smartest" story graphic in history.

That shows where the Media has not only touched you, but virtually attempting, and in many cases succeeding in virtually raping viewers minds.

The media's ego and self praise at the unjustifiable expense of others is sickening.

The storys across the nation will range from "Crashiest Place on Earth" to "When you Splat Across a Car". And there is no excuse for the exploitation. To report the first incedent is one thing, but the second may have never been reported if not for the first.

But hey, it is a "sensational" story, huh?

JimboJones123

I think the point is, why is this all of a sudden starting to happen? For so long, this wasn't an issue. Now, there 3 crashes in less than 2 weeks. Is there some sort of contest going on that we don't know about?

I understand the point. I also understand that minor fender benders happen all the time that are not blown up crazy like the one today.

bugsbunny

As any WDW veteran knows these days, they are doing WAY more with LESS when it comes to buses. I can remember pre-9/11 being able to get a bus every 10-15 minutes like clock work. The bus was always the smallest wait of anything you would get on while WDW. Now, they combine as many as 4 hotels onto one round trip! A trip to DTD is 45 minutes...on a good day! I go during the first week of December every year which is historically the slowest time of the year. Guess what? The bus service is as timely as during peak time of the year...SLOW!

And at this point, find me ONE person on these boards who hasn't had a 45 minute plus wait for a bus on a recent trip? Its almost guaranteed that you will have at least one on your vacation there. Also, add in the extra time for these scooters! Is everyone suddenly self-appointed handicapped these days and ride a scooter at WDW??

I decided after my last trip that I was done with buses just based on wait times and the scooters. Now another fine reason just to rent a car :animwink: About the only thing left for WDW to ruin are the boat rides, but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

cdunbar

Funny unrelated idiot media story.

I worked at a news station in Dallas when Emmitt Smith broke the all time rushing record. You know, rushing, where they run the ball and NOT catch it.

Anyways, Emmitt Smith was #22.

So, even though the ENTIRE NEWSROOM tried to convince the producer how inappropriate the story tag of "Catch 22" would be since he didn't catch anything, she just wouldn't give up what she thought was the "smartest" story graphic in history.

That shows where the Media has not only touched you, but virtually attempting, and in many cases succeeding in virtually raping viewers minds.

The media's ego and self praise at the unjustifiable expense of others is sickening.

The storys across the nation will range from "Crashiest Place on Earth" to "When you Splat Across a Car". And there is no excuse for the exploitation. To report the first incedent is one thing, but the second may have never been reported if not for the first.

I'm not a big fan of the media anymore, I mean if that's how you make you're living I have no problem with that obviously, but we can never have good news, I mean I go out every morning to get the paper and its never got a positive front page, and I just get tired of there being no "good" news...:shrug:

Rob562

I agree that had the first two incidents not happened, this most-recent story would *not* have made the news, and we probably would not have heard about it at all unless someone from on here was directly involved or happened to drive past it.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
As any WDW veteran knows these days, they are doing WAY more with LESS when it comes to buses. I can remember pre-9/11 being able to get a bus every 10-15 minutes like clock work. The bus was always the smallest wait of anything you would get on while WDW. Now, they combine as many as 4 hotels onto one round trip! A trip to DTD is 45 minutes...on a good day! I go during the first week of December every year which is historically the slowest time of the year. Guess what? The bus service is as timely as during peak time of the year...SLOW!

And at this point, find me ONE person on these boards who hasn't had a 45 minute plus wait for a bus on a recent trip? Its almost guaranteed that you will have at least one on your vacation there. Also, add in the extra time for these scooters! Is everyone suddenly self-appointed handicapped these days and ride a scooter at WDW??

I decided after my last trip that I was done with buses just based on wait times and the scooters. Now another fine reason just to rent a car :animwink: About the only thing left for WDW to ruin are the boat rides, but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

Wow. A post I COMPLETELY agree with. Nicely said! :sohappy:

Bus SERVICE at WDW is deplorable, at best. I could go on and on about the brilliant ideas I've had to help improve bus service, dispatching and the like - but that's for another thread....and may be a moot point once the WDWMagic members get Disney to close down bus service completely.

TimNRA757

This one is on Disney, it's that simple... See? I don't have that "pixie dust" poisoning or whatever you cats call it.

Anyway yeah he's too old to be driving but I don't know how you go about that. Can you fail him on an exam if he does everything satisfactorily? I don't know what you do when you got the union...

Anyway I'm wondering if this is the funny old guy I had once drive me from DHS to CBR, he was hilarious...

uklad79

Lets hope the 101 year old bus driver doesn't crash next or maybe the 105 year old ferry captain will sink it. :lookaroun

Maybe you need a retirement age that allows employers to retire people at 65.

I guess you reap what you sow and these people have to work to pay for the meds they need to stop them having a heart attack while driving around a bus packed with kids. :hammer:

JimboJones123

I'm not a big fan of the media anymore, I mean if that's how you make you're living I have no problem with that obviously, but we can never have good news, I mean I go out every morning to get the paper and its never got a positive front page, and I just get tired of there being no "good" news...:shrug:

Not

Any

More!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom