Annual Passholder/ Ticket Changes 2016

Question: is gratuity automatically added when using the 20% discount at a TS? I don't own an AP but looking into purchasing one for our next trip in Jan and canceling the DDP. Thanks!

danv3

For reasons I'm not sure I understand, they want the card for the discount -- used it twice over the weekend. And checked my photo ID as well.

Yes, they have been regularly checking ID with the discount this week. Kind of defeats one of the supposed advantages of a magic band if I still have to carry the card and an ID at all times.

Tony the Tigger

That's a pretty solid list -- including places we like to repeat as well as places we have on the "to-do" list. It leaves out a few here and there and I presume leaves out alcohol, but even so, I think the smart move this year is to skip the TiW card. Our old one expires this month, the new one costs $50 more ($150) and we just activated our new AP's in September, so the 20% discount will be good for the entire length of our AP. It will steer some of our dining choices a bit, and that's fine. Bank the $150 for the few places we'd go that don't offer the discount (mainly the Tune-In Lounge.)

MissM

I also don't see where it excludes alcohol but apparently it does. Anyone read anything about blackout dates?
No blackout dates are listed but it discount is NOT valid on alcohol:

Benefits of Being a Passholder
Learn about the exciting benefits of being a Walt Disney World Resort Passholder. Explore a year of 45th Anniversary perks, as well as expanded ongoing dining and merchandise discounts. Beginning now, Passholders receive 20% off Disney merchandise and 10% off food and nonalcoholic beverages at select table-service restaurants*—at theme parks and Disney Resort hotels—during all available meal periods!

*Excludes Victoria & Albert's, Le Chefs de France, Monsieur Paul and Teppan Edo.
Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

As for the discount card, you used to get one in your magic band box. You don't anymore. You need to go to guest services and they will give you a "Passholder" hard plastic ticket. You need to show that AND your photo ID in order to get your discount.

brent2124

Instead of carrying your pass with you at all times you can show them your annual pass on the MDE app. I personally don't carry my wallet in the parks and just take the essentials, so I've screenshot my pass on the app and then show my ID and it has worked everytime.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That's a pretty solid list -- including places we like to repeat as well as places we have on the "to-do" list. It leaves out a few here and there and I presume leaves out alcohol, but even so, I think the smart move this year is to skip the TiW card. Our old one expires this month, the new one costs $50 more ($150) and we just activated our new AP's in September, so the 20% discount will be good for the entire length of our AP. It will steer some of our dining choices a bit, and that's fine. Bank the $150 for the few places we'd go that don't offer the discount (mainly the Tune-In Lounge.)
We have TiW, bought before these new discounts were added. In a 4 day trip over the weekend, we ate one QS meal where the AP gave us 20% and TiW would give nothing (ABC), one QS where TiW gave 20% AP would give nothing (Restaurantosaurus), one TS where both give 20% on food but TiW gave us the alcohol discount as well, another TS where TiW was 20% and AP would have 10%, and one TS where TiW was 20% and AP would have been zero (Capa at Four Seasons). Based on that. I'd say Disney has done a good job of adding benefits to the AP without gutting the value of TiW. We probably won't buy TiW again if the AP food discounts remain, but I would still consider it.

NearTheEars

Can I get the card at the resort in staying at? Or have to do it in a park?

I think if you go to the guest relations folks in the lobby they might be able to do it. If not, you might have to stop at at a ticket window on your way in.

Edit to clarify: I just remembered it was a ticket window at the front of the park where I went to get my card. This was after I renewed online and received new bands.

Tony the Tigger

Same here. Last year we didn't ever get any cards. We just used our magic bands. So most of the time we just used our Chase Disney Visa for discounts, but when we had to use our AP discount, we showed our Magic Bands and just honestly explained we never got a card, and they almost always did it, sometimes with a lecture. They may get tougher with it now that there are more discounts.

This year I paid closer attention, and on our first visit where we exchanged our vouchers, we did get the new yellow cards, and we just reused last year's magic bands because we were staying off property on that trip.

I don't know if you can get them at the resort, but I'd say it's worth a call to customer service just to get an answer.

biggy H

Instead of carrying your pass with you at all times you can show them your annual pass on the MDE app. I personally don't carry my wallet in the parks and just take the essentials, so I've screenshot my pass on the app and then show my ID and it has worked everytime.

Also they will accept a screen shot on a mobile showing both your plastic AP card and your photo ID together.

BernardandBianca

We renewed our APs online in the middle of September, planning ahead since our previous APs didn't expire until mid-October. We never got a card with our Magic Bands. We went to Guest Services to try to figure out if we were entitled to the 13 months or not (bought in Sept, but not effective until Oct), and they did tell us we get the 13 months. While there, we got actual new cards (last year the GS CM got out a sharpie and marked 16 over the 2015 on the pass), and were pleased that they finally combined the pass with the discount card onto one card - one card less to carry - since we never use the bands, but just keep them in the car in case we forget the cards. (As FL residents, the last thing I want is a hunk of plastic on my wrist inducing sweat.)

And for the first time, we got a pass with blackout days. Gold. Never been subject to this before, but since we'll be out of town for the relevant dates in December, we can put up with not going for two weeks around Easter in exchange for the $100+ savings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom