Annual Passholder question(s)

Metilinos

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light or some insight for a non-Passholder.

I was thinking about possibly buying an annual pass next year as I would imagine it would be cheaper than buying vacation packages.

Looks like a standard annual pass is $634.00 (give or take tax, I live in NH so we don't do sales tax..)

Is it a full year from purchase date or full year from the date you it at go to the park? Say, could I buy the pass now and not have it activate for the full 365 days until January?

Also, I generally go once or twice a year so in theory in order to make the most of your annual pass you'd probably need to go at least twice to see your investment benefit, correct?

I looked at resort prices without flight and it's literally half the price of our mini-vacation coming up, without flight. Although flight can be generally cheaper if we plan it right.

Also is park-hopper included in a standard annual? We aren't huge water park people so to us it wouldn't matter getting a deluxe pass unless we didn't get park hopper. EMH obviously is a resort-only thing too, correct? Which wouldn't matter since we'd need to fly out and stay on property regardless..

Edit: what about renewal? I hear annual renewal is discounted. How much? I'm interested..

lostpro9het

Is it a full year from purchase date or full year from the date you it at go to the park? Say, could I buy the pass now and not have it activate for the full 365 days until January?
Calender day to calender day. So an AP purchased and activated for today would be good through 7/25/2015

Also, I generally go once or twice a year so in theory in order to make the most of your annual pass you'd probably need to go at least twice to see your investment benefit, correct?

for a regular AP, 2 trips with at least 4 days

I looked at resort prices....
Since you'd have an AP I'd consider renting DVC points

Also is park-hopper included in a standard annual?
Yes, all APs include park hoping for the 4 theme parks. A premium AP includes hopping for the 4 theme parks and the two water parks. You can compare the different APs here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/

Edit: what about renewal? I hear annual renewal is discounted. How much? I'm interested..
$574 for a regular AP, roughly $100 savings
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/renewal-information/

Metilinos

Original Poster
Great info, thanks. I'm at work else I'd of looked more into it. I usually go two weeks through the year, but I'd plan on doing two full weeks separate from each other and maybe long weekends or short four day trips here and there too.

So can an annual pass be purchased one day but activated a different day entirely?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
When you buy online or over the phone you'll get a voucher not the actual AP. The voucher can be exchanged for your AP when you get to WDW. The AP will be valid for one year from the day you get it.

The voucher is valid until you exchange it, no time limit.

EMH is resort related.

The break-even point for an AP is dependant on a lot of variables. Purely based on ticket prices, two trips of three days or longer cover the cost. You can also get shopping/dining discounts, resort discounts and access to special events, so it's not exactly black and white where you break even.

Metilinos

Original Poster
Okay. Well I want to maximize how much I go without spending crazy each time in terms of park tickets, so obviously if I plan on going three or four times a year with the intent of at least 4-5 nights then it's in my best interest.

So in theory a voucher for an AP received today could be activated a month down the road and is good for a full calendar year from that date? Say I decided to go august 30th, but purchased the voucher today, then that is very well a possibility? (Sorry for the confusion :p)

dreamfinder

Regardless of where you but the AP/voucher you will have to pay FL tax on it. Even if you go to the Disney Store Outlet in Merrimack (since I think they finally closed all the regular Disney Stores in NH) you will end up having to pay the same exact price as if you bought the AP at the gate the day you landed. The only way to get it any cheaper would be to buy a ticket from a reseller like Undercover Tourist, and then upgrade after you use it once. As mentioned, the AP starts ticking from when it was activated. So if you buy a voucher, it starts when you turn that voucher into an AP, or if you buy the AP at the gate, it starts immediately. If you do go the upgrade route, the AP date should be the same as the date you first used the ticket for park entrance. So if you use it on Monday, and then upgrade it on Friday, it would show as being activated on Monday.

As far as break even, you really need to run the numbers of what you realistically think you would travel. Look at buying just length of trip tickets, compare buying a non-expire 10 day, and compare buying an AP. As @Monty mentioned, there are other ways to recoup some of the costs, but I always suggest just look at ticket prices. AP room discounts have been marginally better (or the same) than Visa and general public discounts lately, and all discounts are subject to change at any time. Do consider TiW, many AP holders find that to be a good deal, not quite as good since they made recent tweaks, but still not bad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Okay. Well I want to maximize how much I go without spending crazy each time in terms of park tickets, so obviously if I plan on going three or four times a year with the intent of at least 4-5 nights then it's in my best interest.

So in theory a voucher for an AP received today could be activated a month down the road and is good for a full calendar year from that date? Say I decided to go august 30th, but purchased the voucher today, then that is very well a possibility? (Sorry for the confusion :p)
Correct. When you buy an AP online is irrelevant. When you first use it is.

lostpro9het

So in theory a voucher for an AP received today could be activated a month down the road and is good for a full calendar year from that date?
Yes.

Do consider TiW, many AP holders find that to be a good deal, not quite as good since they made recent tweaks, but still not bad.
If you plan on spending at least $500 on food and drinks at the participating locations in a 13-month window and regularly tip at least 18% then TiW is a great option. We personally love our TiW card.

Metilinos

Original Poster
We've generally used a deluxe dining plan but this time around we are passing. I know you save money but I think you get hindered at certain restaurants. For instance, at Tokyo Dining I would have done a boat load of sushi (love sushi, all kinds) but obviously it needs to be looked at and rationed over the dining plan. I generally do a 20% tip rounded to the nearest $10-amount. $42 on a 20% tip would be even $50. Dunno why but it's a slight OCD I have :p

Never considered the TiW card but may be a good option if you go frequently and spend the money. I'm a non Florida resident so $100 for me. I'll look into that

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We've generally used a deluxe dining plan but this time around we are passing. I know you save money but I think you get hindered at certain restaurants. For instance, at Tokyo Dining I would have done a boat load of sushi (love sushi, all kinds) but obviously it needs to be looked at and rationed over the dining plan. I generally do a 20% tip rounded to the nearest $10-amount. $42 on a 20% tip would be even $50. Dunno why but it's a slight OCD I have :p

Never considered the TiW card but may be a good option if you go frequently and spend the money. I'm a non Florida resident so $100 for me. I'll look into that
Just FYI...If you are not a Florida resident you will need an AP to get TiWL

Metilinos

Original Poster
Just FYI...If you are not a Florida resident you will need an AP to get TiWL

Yeah I know, but it's relatively the same cost. Florida residents without the AP pay more I believe. I just never considered TiW because I generally go twice a year and if we do sit down dining we usually get the deluxe dining plan.

skyphotographer

One other benefit is free parking at the parks. With parking now up to $18 a day, it can add up quickly. Of course if you use Disney transportation or stay on property, that won't matter to you.

Metilinos

Original Poster
I was gonna ask that. AP gets free parking? In theory if that were the case, it could be good to grab a rental and rent a place off property if you wanted to go on a budget.

Rob562

There was a stretch of time where I'd go to WDW every year in early December.

What I'd do was the first year I'd go the second week of December and buy an AP. Then the next year I'd go a week earlier and the AP would be expiring the day we left for home. The following year we'd repeat the process again. So it was one AP bought every other year that covered two week-long vacations, plus one or two mid-year trips thrown in there for good measure.

-Rob

skyphotographer

I was gonna ask that. AP gets free parking? In theory if that were the case, it could be good to grab a rental and rent a place off property if you wanted to go on a budget.

On my last trip in June, we stayed offsite in a vacation home for six nights for a total cost of $1160. This was a 4BR 3BA house with a private pool and 2 car garage. It was about a 10 minute ride to any of the parks. I will most likely never stay on Disney property again unless I hit the lottery.

Metilinos

Original Poster
On my last trip in June, we stayed offsite in a vacation home for six nights for a total cost of $1160. This was a 4BR 3BA house with a private pool and 2 car garage. It was about a 10 minute ride to any of the parks. I will most likely never stay on Disney property again unless I hit the lottery.

Good deal, especially if you bring the family; though I'd bring friends and split the cost since I'm 23 with a girlfriend and no other obligatory family. :p

But unless we stayed at a nice resort (which I'd be paying for sure, $300+ a night), it'd be almost cheaper to stay on property. At almost $200 a night, I could stay at similar moderate resorts and not have to hit the rental car and gas and yada yada.

skyphotographer

I should mention that I live 350 miles away and always drive. My crew also requires 2bedrooms and 2 bathrooms at a minimum. And I do split the costs. For us to stay onsite would cost at least double the price mentioned above. We also make frequent trips to Orlando. Have been twice so far this year and have 2 more trips planned before the end of the year. Could not do this without cutting costs somewhere.

Metilinos

Original Poster
I should mention that I live 350 miles away and always drive. My crew also requires 2bedrooms and 2 bathrooms at a minimum. And I do split the costs. For us to stay onsite would cost at least double the price mentioned above. We also make frequent trips to Orlando. Have been twice so far this year and have 2 more trips planned before the end of the year. Could not do this without cutting costs somewhere.

Yeah I live 1,300 miles away; driving distance. Soooo. I'd rather fly, and we only need one bed so.

I see where you're coming from, definitely a better plan if you're in a large party.

arko

Good deal, especially if you bring the family; though I'd bring friends and split the cost since I'm 23 with a girlfriend and no other obligatory family. :p

But unless we stayed at a nice resort (which I'd be paying for sure, $300+ a night), it'd be almost cheaper to stay on property. At almost $200 a night, I could stay at similar moderate resorts and not have to hit the rental car and gas and yada yada.
$200 a night will buy you a much nicer room outside Disney than the same moderate room at Disney resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom