1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Annual Passholder Parking Issues

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by PhotoDave219, Jun 2, 2013.

1. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member

Hey Kids.

In the past several days, I've run across a few differences in the normal routine of parking with an Annual Pass.

Several friends have been asked for their ID/license to match signatures on the back at a toll plaza.

I had my pass swiped at the toll plaza for parking at DHS yesterday much like Universal does.

So what have your experiences been in the past week?

This has only come up very recently.

Is this happening for off-duty CM's? If you are an on-property guest, are they running your KTTW? Or is this a fluke thing? (..... which it seems like its not.)

Skywalker, George and openendedsky like this.
  2. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

On my visit to the parks last weekend (I have the new plastic AP) - I had to show my AP and ID before I was let through the gates. I thought it was odd because normally I just flash my AP and keep it moving. I am not sure why they are checking IDs though but I do not mind. I know my AP is valid and just have my ID ready.

3. MissM

MissM Well-Known Member

Weird. My last visit was on May 16th for my birthday and I just showed them my ticket as normal. It's one of the new RFID plastic ones so it has a big, red stripe on to indicate I have free parking. Thought that was kinda the point of the change on them; make it easier for at-a-glance confirmation of parking privileges. o_O

Busch Gardens Tampa swipes your magnetic strip on your AP for your free parking. I've never seen it done at WDW though.

Skywalker and PhotoDave219 like this.
  4. DznyGrlSD

DznyGrlSD Well-Known Member

With the cost of parking at Disney now-a-days, I don't blame them for checking for a "valid" AP before letting you park. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience but I'm sure it was one of those too many people trying to park for free things that 'ruined it for everyone else.

5. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Well that's what they did yesterday.

I figured that was the big giant point of the red thing on the front that said parking on the new pass.

Skywalker and MissM like this.
  6. ptaylor

ptaylor Premium Member

At DHS this morning I was asked for photo ID and the RFID AP was scanned. Nothing at MK.

7. PhotoDave219

I'm stuck at the DHS toll plaza. Guests are arguing it seems.

The cast member told me that a box of 1000 annual passes that were not activated mysteriously disappeared and found themselves on eBay being sold for $20 a pop.

He said the new policy is to scan every annual pass until all of them have been recovered.

He said he found the three of them today during his shift.

So I'm assuming there's going to be this occurring for the foreseeable future.

8. Bolna

Bolna Well-Known Member

What are "for lunch annual passes"????

9. Texas84

Texas84 DVC Fan Boy

Interesting. I was asked for ID once when I was there two weeks ago. It wasn't scanned though. Always a few dips that spoil things for everybody else.

10. PhotoDave219

Ask Siri because that's sure not what I told her to type.....

11. PhotoDave219

Yes but it entire box of 1000 annual passes? That's theft of the highest order that will keep the SunTrust building busy

Carluni, George and 71jason like this.
  12. Bolna

Bolna Well-Known Member

I guess you need to hire a better secretary then... Or maybe you need to pay her more. :)

I was wondering whether it might have been rfid launch APs?

13. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

WOW!!! Marie

14. WDWBryan

WDWBryan Well-Known Member

Has been happening everywhere since last weekend. Thought it was just a new policy didnt know there was an issue. I miss just flashing my id.

Why didnt disney take the opportunity to have photos printed on the pass like Disneyland. Too many passes I guess

wdisney9000 and jenn47 like this.
  15. openendedsky

openendedsky Well-Known Member

Being out of town, I haven't been to Disney since the 24th, but appreciate the announcement about this. Though, I almost always bring my id with me regardless just in case park entrance ops asks for it, but this is still good to know. Sucks that people ruin things for the rest of us, although I'm surprised that they didn't check closer for these sooner.

16. 71jason

71jason Well-Known Member

Was at DHS myself this afternoon. Curiously (at the time) there was a security guard, just sort of riding shotgun--he didn't actually check tickets. IDed and scanned. When I asked, he said the policy started this morning. Makes sense with David's story.

17. 71jason

71jason Well-Known Member

Not that I'm in the market, but sold as de facto "parking passes"? Otherwise, seems easier to catch (and question) people who attempt to use them at the gate.

18. RunOrlando

RunOrlando Member

Interesting.
    I was at DHS this morning (9:45) and entered through the Buena Vista Dr gate. The traffic was so backed up they were waving people through the gate & not collecting the parking fee. They must have lost thousands of $'s on that. Anyone know if this is standard practice?

19. PhotoDave219

When horribly busy, yes. Only at that gate tho.

20. jenn47

jenn47 Member

I'm glad you posted this!! My girls and I were just wondering why the change, usually I would flash the card and right thru. Last weekend at HS and MK I was asked for photo ID but nothing was scanned. Today at AK and Epcot same, asked for photo ID but nothing was scanned.

wdisney9000 likes this.