Annual Pass prices raised (again)

TP2000

It's fascinating to see that Universal Studios Hollywood has now effectively ended their Season Pass program. For years they had the "Buy A Day, Get A Year Free!" ticket program for Passes. You can still buy a Season Pass, but it's only valid until February 16th, 2016. That tells me Harry Potter Land (or whatever it is) opens in early March, and they don't want all those AP'ers flooding the place.

What a brilliant business move on Universal's part! They'll have shut down their Pass program by March 1st, then can launch the Harry Potter thing later in March with only paid admissions day-of. Then they can judge what the actual demand is through the spring and perhaps the entire summer while they make money hand over fist from full fare day-of ticket sales.

Later in 2016, after they've gauged demand and customer response, they can reintroduce a Season Pass program at a significantly higher price than their historically low rates.

Can you imagine if Disney had done this for Cars Land?!? Can you imagine the outrage from avid Disney fans who expected to get in to see the new toys at cheap steerage rates?

And more importantly, can you imagine if Disney borrows Universal's idea and does this in 2018-19 in preparation for Star Wars Land opening? SoCal Annual Passholders would lose their minds!

Imagine that, a private business selling a wildly successful product and making financial and operational decisions that best support their business and make the most money for their shareholders??? Lenin and Marx would absolutely hate that! ;)

catmom46

It's fascinating to see that Universal Studios Hollywood has now effectively ended their Season Pass program. For years they had the "Buy A Day, Get A Year Free!" ticket program for Passes. You can still buy a Season Pass, but it's only valid until February 16th, 2016. That tells me Harry Potter Land (or whatever it is) opens in early March, and they don't want all those AP'ers flooding the place.

What a brilliant business move on Universal's part! They'll have shut down their Pass program by March 1st, then can launch the Harry Potter thing later in March with only paid admissions day-of. Then they can judge what the actual demand is through the spring and perhaps the entire summer while they make money hand over fist from full fare day-of ticket sales.

Later in 2016, after they've gauged demand and customer response, they can reintroduce a Season Pass program at a significantly higher price than their historically low rates.

Can you imagine if Disney had done this for Cars Land?!? Can you imagine the outrage from avid Disney fans who expected to get in to see the new toys at cheap steerage rates?

And more importantly, can you imagine if Disney borrows Universal's idea and does this in 2018-19 in preparation for Star Wars Land opening? SoCal Annual Passholders would lose their minds!

Imagine that, a private business selling a wildly successful product and making financial and operational decisions that best support their business and make the most money for their shareholders??? Lenin and Marx would absolutely hate that! ;)

It all boils down to thinning the herd, right? :D

Californian Elitist

For crowd's sake, Universal is doing the right thing. When Potter opens here, all hell will break loose. Crowds will be EVERYWHERE, with almost no room to breathe. I truly feel sorry for my previous co-workers that will still be working at the park come next April (should be opening around that time).

Curious Constance

I've always loved your ability to be so dang logical, TP!

Curious Constance

For crowd's sake, Universal is doing the right thing. When Potter opens here, all hell will break loose. Crowds will be EVERYWHERE, with almost no room to breathe. I truly feel sorry for my previous co-workers that will still be working at the park come next April (should be opening around that time).
So you've worked for Universal and Disney? Which did your like better?

Phroobar

Disney did do something like it when DCA 1.0 opened. It worked badly for them. You could only buy APs for Disneyland because DCA was going to be packed.

westie

Disney did do something like it when DCA 1.0 opened. It worked badly for them. You could only buy APs for Disneyland because DCA was going to be packed.

Funny because on the opening day of DCA we could walk around with our arms stretched out and not touch another person! The hype kept the crowds away.

GiveMeTheMusic

I had no idea that HP at Universal Hollywood was so close to opening.

I was just there for HHN and it looks like it could be open in a week. From the guest vantage points the land looks about 99% complete. I have a hard time believing it won't start soft opening until April, unless the interiors are seriously behind.

Mukta

and I won't be going to USH for quite some time once HP opens. I can't imagine the crowds. I used to love that park, but other than the backlot tour, it is now a cllone of stuff I have seen in Orlando for years. I so badly wish they had built a new part of HP mythology.

dweezil78

Universal just announced the new pricing for their post-Potter APs. Now will function like DLR APs -- valid 12 months from purchase, no more buy a year get a year.

From the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-r1-universal-pass-20151116-story.html)
"The new annual pass program with blackout dates, announced Monday, will cost California residents $139 for 182 days of access to the theme park, or $199 for 244 days. A pass that can be used 312 days costs $299 and is available to all parkgoers."

Travel Junkie

I find what Universal is doing very interesting and potentially dangerous from a business standpoint long term. Even the top level AP has tons of blackout dates including most weekends along with no parking add on option. Obviously Potter will be a smashing success and the tiny park will be packed to the gills for a while. However this is Universal's chance to steal market share from Disney. How many people that can't go during the week will visit Potter once forgoing the AP and either keep their Disney AP or do once a year visit's to both parks.

The way Universal is setting up their AP program they are discouraging repeat visits in favor or once a year visits. I don't think I will be the only one who visits Universal once a year and keep my DLR AP. Universal should be going after getting people to switch and do Uni AP's and visit Disney once a year.

TP2000

Universal should be going after getting people to switch and do Uni AP's and visit Disney once a year.

I think Uni knows exactly what type of product they have, and how much of it they have, and are pricing their product accordingly.

Universal Studios Hollywood has undergone five years of massive change and expansion and heavy investment. And at the end of all that they will have only 25% of the attractions, rides and shows that Disneyland Resort offers. When Potter opens this spring, Uni will have barely a dozen rides, a handful of stage shows, not a single parade, no fireworks, and not a single nighttime entertainment spectacular (fireworks, water show, night parade) to offer. Do they even have a single sit-down restaurant in their park? Disneyland/DCA have six sit-down restaurants, three in each park.

Disneyland Resort has 55 rides, three different parades per day spread over five different showtimes, two water shows, nightly fireworks, plus all the lavish seasonal offerings and shows that Disneyland does so well. Just look at Disneyland this week launch all the extra Christmas entertainment and Season Of The Force in Tomorrowland.

Harry Potter Land will be great, I'm sure. But after it opens Uni pales in comparison to Disneyland Resort when it comes to the number of rides and shows, and it simply has no parades, nightly spectaculars, water shows, or fireworks. Their AP's are still priced at a fraction of Disneyland's AP's because of that.

Travel Junkie

I think Uni knows exactly what type of product they have, and how much of it they have, and are pricing their product accordingly.

Universal Studios Hollywood has undergone five years of massive change and expansion and heavy investment. And at the end of all that they will have only 25% of the attractions, rides and shows that Disneyland Resort offers. When Potter opens this spring, Uni will have barely a dozen rides, a handful of stage shows, not a single parade, no fireworks, and not a single nighttime entertainment spectacular (fireworks, water show, night parade) to offer. Do they even have a single sit-down restaurant in their park? Disneyland/DCA have six sit-down restaurants, three in each park.

Disneyland Resort has 55 rides, three different parades per day spread over five different showtimes, two water shows, nightly fireworks, plus all the lavish seasonal offerings and shows that Disneyland does so well. Just look at Disneyland this week launch all the extra Christmas entertainment and Season Of The Force in Tomorrowland.

Harry Potter Land will be great, I'm sure. But after it opens Uni pales in comparison to Disneyland Resort when it comes to the number of rides and shows, and it simply has no parades, nightly spectaculars, water shows, or fireworks. Their AP's are still priced at a fraction of Disneyland's AP's because of that.

The price point is fine, it's the blackout of virtually every weekend on ALL their passes. For a lot of people like me that can't or have no desire to fight the 101 traffic on a weekday will find AP's absolutely useless. So you either purchase 1 day passes on multiple occasions which add up very quickly or just go once. For a lot of people it will just be once unless they allow AP's with weekend availability.

I'm not saying Universal won't be absolutely slammed once Potter opens, but they have a golden opportunity to steal market share from DLR. I don't think they will do it with framing passes this way.

TP2000

I'm not saying Universal won't be absolutely slammed once Potter opens, but they have a golden opportunity to steal market share from DLR. I don't think they will do it with framing passes this way.

15 years ago Universal opened an entirely new theme park with dozens of rides only 20 minutes away from Walt Disney World (Islands of Adventure), and they didn't steal market share from Disney. All they did was steal small market share from the other non-Disney entertainment in the area, while raising the overall profile of the Central Florida tourism industry.

Harry Potter is just one new land with two rides. And it's 60+ minutes away from Disneyland in horrible LA County traffic. This will do nothing to steal market share from Disneyland Resort. It may ding Six Flags a bit, or prevent Anaheim tourists from going to Sea World for the day. But it will have no meaningful impact on Disneyland; if anything, it will bring more tourists to SoCal overall who will then go to Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

Keeping weekends available for USH annual passholders is smart, given the hell that will break loose come next April. Sucks for me, since I work during the week. That's what employee preview is for.

D

Deleted member 107043

Assuming that each destination will continue to operate as it has over the past decade, and making some broad assumptions based on what I know about people in Southern California, especially those closer to LA than OC, I'm doubtful that USH could ever make a meaningful long-term impact on theme park attendance in the region. This is mostly because USH will never be able to free itself of being an attraction almost exclusively for tourists in the minds of most Californians.

GiveMeTheMusic

Assuming that each destination will continue to operate as it has over the past decade, and making some broad assumptions based on what I know about people in Southern California, especially those closer to LA than OC, I'm doubtful that USH could ever make a meaningful long-term impact on theme park attendance in the region. This is mostly because USH will never be able to free itself of being an attraction almost exclusively for tourists in the minds of most Californians.

Harry Potter has changed that perception a great deal, although that was already in progress. The cheapest APs (the buy a day get a year promo that has run for some time and is now over) were extremely popular and big jumps have been made by adding Minions and F&F. Especially among millennials, a very valuable market here in SoCal, Potter solidifies USH as someplace they want to go often. Being able to pop in for Hogwarts and butterbeer is a huge deal and they will still sell a lot of APs despite how stripped down they currently are. Resourceful types (especially those who live near Metro train lines) will still buy them, even without parking, and use the train or even Uber to get to the park.

The park won't ever live up to DL's numbers simply because it can't. It's a tiny thumbprint of a park and the capacity is far lower than Disney would ever find acceptable. That said, it could conceivably catch up to or get very close to DCA's current attendance. Transformers, Minions and F&F have all caused double digit percentage increases in annual attendance. One can only imagine what Potter will do.

USH is on its way, 50 years after opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom