Anna and Elsas Coronation/Special Guests.

orky8

I'll just leave this here.. :p

474b998a_american-measures.jpeg

I'm curious, how do people in England (and elsewhere, speaking english) speak the date if they wanted to tell it to someone? For example, do they say on the fifth of may two thousand fourteen, or do they say (as we would) on may fifth two thousand fourteen.

wdrive

I'm curious, how do people in England (and elsewhere, speaking english) speak the date if they wanted to tell it to someone? For example, do they say on the fifth of may two thousand fourteen, or do they say (as we would) on may fifth two thousand fourteen.

Fifth of May two thousand and fourteen would be the way

AndyS2992

Fifth of May two thousand and fourteen would be the way
Yeah this above. Day, month then year eg twenty fourth of March two thousand and fourteen but some people say the year as twenty fourteen but two thousand and fourteen is far more common.

Last edited:

prberk

Yeah this above. Day, month then year eg twenty fourth of March two thousand and fourteen but some people say the year as twenty fourteen but two thousand fourteen is far more common.

It seems like among people I know here (Virginia, USA), more and more people are saying "twenty-fourteen." It still sounds weird to me. I am still saying "two thousand, fourteen." Did not realize that Englishmen still say it the way that I do. Anyone else with me on this?

On a related topic, one thing that I did learn some time ago, and I guess is still true, is about the placement of a period or comma at the end of a quotation. I understood a while back that it was only the American English in which we enclose the comma or period within that quotation like following "fourteen" above. This is similar to the comma before a close-quotation mark before the rest of the sentence, like: "Hello there," said the lady.

Computers, which don't like the logic sometimes, are changing that, however. Anyway, to Andy and my other English friends here: do you find my statement about the commas and periods to be true? (That European English tends to put the punctuation outside of the quotation?)

Last edited:

wdrive

It seems like among people I know here (Virginia, USA), more and more people are saying "twenty-fourteen." It still sounds weird to me. I am still saying "two thousand, fourteen." Did not realize that Englishmen still say it the way that I do. Anyone eles with me on this?

To be really picky an English person would say two thousand and fourteen not two thousand fourteen

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It seems like among people I know here (Virginia, USA), more and more people are saying "twenty-fourteen." It still sounds weird to me. I am still saying "two thousand, fourteen." Did not realize that Englishmen still say it the way that I do. Anyone eles with me on this?

On a related topic, one thing that I did learn some time ago, and I guess is still true, is about the placement of a period or comma at the end of a quotation. I understood a while back that it was only the American English in which we enclose the comma or period within that quotation like following "fourteen" above. This is similar to the comma before a close-quotation mark before the rest of the sentence, like: "Hello there," said the lady.

Computers, which don't like the logic sometimes, are changing that, however. Anyway, to Andy and my other English friends here: do you find my statement about the commas and periods to be true? (That European English tends to put the punctuation outside of the quotation?)

I'm also in VA and I hear 20-14 a lot and say it most of the time for the year too. If you think about it did you use to say 19-78 or One thousand nine hundred and seventy eight?

AndyS2992

So just because something has been around for years, it's ok to re-post it over and over again even when it's wrong?
:rolleyes: I don't particularly like the word myself but if you don't like it then ignore it or complain to the person who made it. And repost it over and over? I posted it once to illustrate a point, it's a shame that person put that word in there but otherwise it does the job. I'm sorry if it has offended you but there is nothing I can do unfortunately.

Um, I'm not actually sure :confused: haha I'll have to check. Inside two British books I have used, Harry Potter and The Hobbit, both keep the punctuation within the quotation marks so I assume this is the way it is supposed to be done but looking at my own writing I put the punctuation outside the quotation marks o_O

Last edited:

DJMoore2011

:rolleyes: I don't particularly like the word myself but if you don't like it then ignore it or complain to the person who made it. And repost it over and over? I posted it once to illustrate a point, it's a shame that person put that word in there but otherwise it does the job. I'm sorry if it has offended you but there is nothing I can do unfortunately.

Yes there is something you CAN do, don't re-post it. Don't continue to use it. You chose to use that picture as a statement, when you could have chosen something else just as easily. So yes there IS something you can do. If you don't like the word then don't post anything with the word in it. And if I knew who made it I would complain to them.

AndyS2992

Yes there is something you CAN do, don't re-post it. Don't continue to use it. You chose to use that picture as a statement, when you could have chosen something else just as easily. So yes there IS something you can do. If you don't like the word then don't post anything with the word in it. And if I knew who made it I would complain to them.

Again, I'm sorry but what's done is done. So please ignore the post like I am going to ignore you from here on if you continue, I'm not going to get in a childish fight about it. A tip, don't go in to the 'bad language at Disney' thread as it might just give you a heart attack ;) Thanks.

Edit: I have just wasted ten minutes of my life making a new (and better anyway) custom made version to stop people such as yourself, but mainly you since only you had an issue (or were just picking a petty fight), from complaining in future and have put it in my original post and will put it here as well for you to enjoy.

measure_compare1.jpg

==
ANYWAY back on topic, I shall assume the coronation will take place in Norway, or the Norway pavilion if Disney is feeling cheap and want to promote WDW in the process plus the princesses hang out there anyway. Then again I am not sure why London was chosen for Rapunzel since I'm pretty sure she has no link to England at all and they were just using the Queen's jubilee as a way of cashing in on the media interest although Merida's was done at MK instead of Scotland which makes no sense :confused: so it is more than likely MK will be the final chosen location for Anna and Elsa.

Last edited:

prberk

I'm also in VA and I hear 20-14 a lot and say it most of the time for the year too. If you think about it did you use to say 19-78 or One thousand nine hundred and seventy eight?

I know. It just still sounds weird to me. Now, did you say "twenty-oh-one" for 2001, or "two thousand and one"? Or better yet, did you say anything other than "two thousand" for 2000? I think most people who are saying "20-14" started to go back to that (like "19-99") around 2010. I don't know anyone who started saying it that until 2010. But even after four years, it still sounds weird to me.

AndyS2992

I know. It just still sounds weird to me. Now, did you say "twenty-oh-one" for 2001, or "two thousand and one"? Or better yet, did you say anything other than "two thousand" for 2000? I think most people who are saying "20-14" started to go back to that (like "19-99") around 2010. I don't know anyone who started saying it that until 2010. But even after four years, it still sounds weird to me.
1999 was definitely only Nineteen Ninety Nine and not one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine
2000 was just Two thousand (not Twenty Zero which would be funnny)
2001 was Two thousand and one (not Twnety One lol)
2010 was Two thousand and ten OR Twenty Ten

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

I was saying two thousand and one. it's funny how that change happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom