Animatronics: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I've never seen it, personally, but anyone who's been to DisneySea says the lava monster bot is without parallel. It seems too quick of a look to be that impressive. But it always, consistently, described as "amazing." (I wonder if Croc-bot in China will have the same "you gotta be there" showmanship.) I think it may boil down to "focus." The ability for a bot to really look like he's focused on you. It's one thing for glowing eyes in the dark to be looking at you. But it's a little more scary when your presence prompts that focus. (See La Taniere du Dragon)

It does definitely give you more time to see him than the Yeti and it is amazing. You also get a slight glimpse through some rockwork on the right before you actually see him.

I agree with others that the Yeti, while impressive was visible for WAAAAAY to short of time. You can put together the most incredible AA on the planet, but if you see him for 2 seconds, a lot of it goes unnoticed

Goofyernmost

It does definitely give you more time to see him than the Yeti and it is amazing. You also get a slight glimpse through some rockwork on the right before you actually see him.

I agree with others that the Yeti, while impressive was visible for WAAAAAY to short of time. You can put together the most incredible AA on the planet, but if you see him for 2 seconds, a lot of it goes unnoticed
And you have just hit on the reason why it hasn't been repaired. It was a great design that not only didn't work, it was hardly even seen. It made no difference in ridership with or without it so that pretty much tells you just how much of a waste of time, money and engineering that whole thing was. You need time to be awed by anything. Most just plain never had the time, so, it is currently and will probably remain forever... Disco Yeti.

RobotWolf

Not totally relevant, but does anyone have any good shots of SIR's eyes? I'm trying to get an idea of what the basic shapes were.

The easiest answer would be "human," of course. But his were slightly sinister somehow. An actual artist could describe it better than I could.

Please and Thank you!

danyoung56

As I recall, S.I.R.'s eyes were rectangular screens, and they displayed video of eyes, changing shape depending on how cranky he was.

ajkraz

Best: T-Rex in Dinosaur or the one with the other dinosaur in the mouth
Worst: Ulysses Grant, Hall of Presidents, this is a conditional one, the last time I went he kept blinking and opening his mouth like he was gonna talk but didn't :/
Ugliest: Ellen, Ellen's energy adventure, I read on here that it was originally from another ride but it's just bad

Honorable mentions:
C3PO
Captain Jack Sparrow
Brer Rabbit
Yeti
Buzz Lightyear (Not really anymore but when it came out it was ahead of its time)

KBLovedDisney

In my opinion:
The Best: S.I.R., Skippy, Nine-Eye & Timekeeper
The "Ok": All of the Country Bear Jamboree Bears
The "Not so Great": Flik, Ariel, Buzz Lightyear
The "OMG, what is that thing??": CoP characters (Seriously, you can hear the air noises and most of the time the flesh on the neck pieces don't meet with their bodies)

Goofyernmost

In my opinion:
The Best: S.I.R., Skippy, Nine-Eye & Timekeeper
The "Ok": All of the Country Bear Jamboree Bears
The "Not so Great": Flik, Ariel, Buzz Lightyear
The "OMG, what is that thing??": CoP characters (Seriously, you can hear the air noises and most of the time the flesh on the neck pieces don't meet with their bodies)
Hope you can live with that because when you are almost 60 years old, the exact same thing is going to be happening to you. :):bawling::in pain:

Goofyernmost

Haha! The air noises I could live with, but if my skin ever came off my neck not meeting my body...well, I'd have fun at Halloween!
No one ever said that aging is pretty! It is exciting because every morning you get up and try and figure out if that new pain requires a Doctors visit or just walk it off. Never a dull moment.

Musicman20

I still think Buzz during the queue of BLSS is cool!

Wicked Witch on TGMR is fantastic.

Impressed by the sheer amount on Hall of Presidents.

Yeti looks fantastic on EE but my of my do I want to see it move.

C3PO on ST is fantastic.

Highlight of Little Mermaid is Ursula. That is one of the best IMO.

I don't really think I've ever seen one and thought 'my word that is bad' as I usually judge it by how old the ride is etc.

Cmdr_Crimson

Not totally relevant, but does anyone have any good shots of SIR's eyes? I'm trying to get an idea of what the basic shapes were.

The easiest answer would be "human," of course. But his were slightly sinister somehow. An actual artist could describe it better than I could.

Please and Thank you!

How's This?
ae-animatronic.jpg
ae%20sir.jpg

There was this version of the Action figure shown on Parkeology's site...
aepic_sir.jpg

Bairstow

How's This?
ae-animatronic.jpg
ae%20sir.jpg

There was this version of the Action figure shown on Parkeology's site...
aepic_sir.jpg

I'd always thought that S.I.R.'s eyes ere laser-based somehow. There was a "grainy" quality to them, as older laser projection often has, and they definitely had a perceptible on/off pulse to them, like they were flickering several dozen times a second.

I hadn't noticed before, but that the Phil Hartman version of the character "T.O.M. 2000" had a bow-tie. It must have been removed for the final Tim Curry version of S.I.R.

Captain Barbossa

The Good - TIE Timekeeper & Starnac
The-Timekeeper.jpg
2702781784_113446e32d.jpg

The Bad.......The adding and Plot Change of Jack Sparrow & Barbosa to PoTC Aye that looks nothing like me. And why do I have an overgrown dagger in my hand and not a sword?!
P1-0002.jpg
sparrow2.jpg

The Ugly....Hate to say it...But.....The Yeti...Only until there is some fractal of a chance he'd be back to his original movement...But, not likely for a long time...So, enjoy the beauty and grace of this Picture before he went Ugly...
tumblr_nq7g05OFWc1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Captain Barbossa

The Jack Sparrow in the treasure room doesn't look to good. He barely moves his mouth when he's talking and singing. I like the Ariel AA in the Little Mermaid ride. The seven dwarfs look pretty good as well. The Country Bears are also amoung my favorites. My least favorite has to be a tie between the obama AA and the chick with the afro on the right towards the end of Spaceship Earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom