Animatronic Malfunctions

flutebelle

Original Poster
Hey Everyone!!

This is my first thread to post here! I recently found this forum and it seems like a fun place!! :wave:

I was just wanting to know from any imagineers/employees if they have encountered any strange/funny malfunctions/breakdowns with the animatronics or if anyone has an interesting story pertaining to this topic?

I'm just curious that with soooo many AA's in the park that they must be some problems come up and thus bring crazy stories!

Thanks for taking time to answer! :D

SMH

MarkTwain

This isn't so much a forum for actual Imagineers as it for those who like to come up with ideas of their own. :lol:

There might be some guests that have witnessed something though...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have a story, about the original Abe Lincoln animatronic before it was first shown in the 1964 World's Fair.

Walt was showing it privately to a few people and he had some of his imagineers helping "behind the curtain" to make sure it runs properly...

well as you may know, Animatronics run on hydraulic fluid, one of the parts broke and someone shouted something like "I can't believe you'd be re-creating the assassination of Lincoln"...it turns out the hydraulic fluid they used was red and it was pouring out of the front of Lincoln like blood.

Ever since then, they switched to a different color fluid.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There's also video of Lincoln sitting back in his chair during a speech in DL, and a more recent video of one of the prisoners in POTC shaking like crazy!

ntoeman

I was told a story about the Pharaoh in SSE (third or fourth scene) had a reoccurring problem at one point where his moving arm closest to his wife would start going too far and it appeared he was smacking her in the face. No one knew something was wrong until guests starting complaining to cast members and asking if it was something new!

Herobrine125

I've heard one about the original Abraham Lincoln robot in Disney Land. Trust me, this is scary.

One day, before Disney Land opened for the day in the early 1970s', employees were making sure everything was working properly. Of course, they were expecting something wrong with Lincoln, because it had a series of malfunctions, but this wasn't any ordinary malfunction. They turned him on, and he got out of his chair. He started chasing the employees, throwing books, breaking chairs; basically trying to kill them, but with a straight face and and not making a noise. Due to that deadly malfunction (and maybe even the other malfunctions) that robot was thrown out and replaced with a new one. The old one, never to be seen again.

ZaneB

I've heard one about the original Abraham Lincoln robot in Disney Land. Trust me, this is scary.

One day, before Disney Land opened for the day in the early 1970s', employees were making sure everything was working properly. Of course, they were expecting something wrong with Lincoln, because it had a series of malfunctions, but this wasn't any ordinary malfunction. They turned him on, and he got out of his chair. He started chasing the employees, throwing books, breaking chairs; basically trying to kill them, but with a straight face and and not making a noise. Due to that deadly malfunction (and maybe even the other malfunctions) that robot was thrown out and replaced with a new one. The old one, never to be seen again.

Your not serious, right? That is the most made up story I've ever heard!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom