Animal Kingdom & the 50th Anniversary

doctornick

It's a major new e-ticket it could be called squat... it will draw Millions more people to already the busiest park at Walt Disney World.

How Magic Kingdom continues to beat Disneyland on annual attendance when Disneyland has so much more to offer is it completely different topic but I do completely agree with you on that point. Regardless it has gotten to the point that mk imo does not need any new attractions because doing so is only going to draw more people to the park. Do you think that when Tron opens the park was suddenly feel less crowded because it's capacity issues will be fixed? I highly doubt it. It may increase the ride capacity of the park but it will not be enough to offset the feeling that the park is even more crowded... again.

The best strategy here is to draw millions of more people to the other three parks. Even at the expense of Magic Kingdom. Let It Drop a few million guests. That will fix the capacity problem. As long as the other three parts make up for that drop Walt Disney World total attendance will go up. Guess satisfaction will also go up because they will be in a park that is not so jam-packed. In other words get total visits to Walt Disney World to go up by increasing the demand and the popularity of the other three parks.

To be fair, they announced the new theater for MK which is exactly what the park needs -- an attraction which will be able to soak up thousands of guests each day for a while in a nice, climate controlled facility but which won't be "splashy" enough to increase attendance to the park on its own. It even will go in an area of the park that (besides fireworks/parades) is generally underutilized by guests in terms of space, so it will help to spread crowds better within the park.

Michelleme

Zootopia seems like it would have needed to be announced already. Unless they planned Universal-like construction, Zootopia seems unlikely before 2021. Perhaps it'd be smaller than I picture it, but when I hear Zootopia, I picture one massive land.

If anything comes to AK, my money's on Dinoland, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen before 2021. It'd be nice though.
Would love to see Zootopia or a Dino ride or activity for younger children. Mine really likes the sand there and it's a welcome respite from running around like crazy all day. All kids seem to love Dino's.

Disone

To be fair, they announced the new theater for MK which is exactly what the park needs -- an attraction which will be able to soak up thousands of guests each day for a while in a nice, climate controlled facility but which won't be "splashy" enough to increase attendance to the park on its own. It even will go in an area of the park that (besides fireworks/parades) is generally underutilized by guests in terms of space, so it will help to spread crowds better within the park.
Agreed.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Joe Rohde has been on a business trip in Bali for the last 10 days.

He says its a work trip here:

He has been posting on his Instagram a lot about all the influences Bali had on AK. Check out the dozens of posts he has made here: https://www.instagram.com/joerohde/ it has been very interesting.

Maybe some new Asia attraction?

Wow that was interesting! It does seem like he is working on something for Asia in AK. Surprised they would add a third attraction over there considering Africa still just has the safari. Does Africa even have space for another attraction?

doctornick

Wow that was interesting! It does seem like he is working on something for Asia in AK. Surprised they would add a third attraction over there considering Africa still just has the safari. Does Africa even have space for another attraction?
Clearly you mean "ride" not "attraction" -- Africa obviously has Gorilla Falls trail and the FOLTK show and you could arguably consider the train to Rafiki's as an attraction/ride of sorts -- but the answer is sure, there's plenty of space near the FOTLK theater for example.

No Name

I get the feeling that, since they finished Pandora along with a package of changes/improvements around the park, they feel like they can pack up and leave. This is not unusual under Iger. For example, DCA got its big, packaged makeover, then hardly anything for years. Epcot, DHS, and DAK went at least 10 years without any real new ride. Now they heroicly draw up a big plan to fix the stagnation they're responsible for. What they should be doing is investing more regularly, and less in big "chunks."

I mostly blame Iger, along with Staggs and Rasulo. Chapek and CFO Christine McCarthy (isn't it funny, nobody ever talks about her?) seem to be doing much better in this regard. Even if I don't agree with half of what they're spending money on... the amount and variety of investment is what has me optimistic.

Joe Rohde has been on a business trip in Bali for the last 10 days.

He says its a work trip here:

He has been posting on his Instagram a lot about all the influences Bali had on AK. Check out the dozens of posts he has made here: https://www.instagram.com/joerohde/ it has been very interesting.

Maybe some new Asia attraction?

"This is a work related trip, but we won't be concentrating on that for obvious reasons."

Talk about ambiguous. Even stranger considering he's in charge of Marvel attractions, and seems to have a busy slate in that area.

Why would I not be surprised if he found a way to take a business trip to Bali for designing a Marvel ride? It's not like he didn't do that for Pandora...
(I don't mean to sound like it's a bad thing.)

IanDLBZF

Lots of bullets flying left and right over this one, ranging from DinoLand updates, to Zootopia replacing Planet Watch. Who knows?

MagicHappens1971

I get the feeling that, since they finished Pandora along with a package of changes/improvements around the park, they feel like they can pack up and leave. This is not unusual under Iger. For example, DCA got its big, packaged makeover, then hardly anything for years. Epcot, DHS, and DAK went at least 10 years without any real new ride. Now they heroicly draw up a big plan to fix the stagnation they're responsible for. What they should be doing is investing more regularly, and less in big "chunks."

I mostly blame Iger, along with Staggs and Rasulo. Chapek and CFO Christine McCarthy (isn't it funny, nobody ever talks about her?) seem to be doing much better in this regard. Even if I don't agree with half of what they're spending money on... the amount and variety of investment is what has me optimistic.

"This is a work related trip, but we won't be concentrating on that for obvious reasons."

Talk about ambiguous. Even stranger considering he's in charge of Marvel attractions, and seems to have a busy slate in that area.

Why would I not be surprised if he found a way to take a business trip to Bali for designing a Marvel ride? It's not like he didn't do that for Pandora...
(I don't mean to sound like it's a bad thing.)
AK is still is baby regardless of the fact that he has Marvel attractions to work on as well.

Cmdr_Crimson

Clearly No one came to the realization that Next year is Animal Kingdom's 20th Anniversary!?!?!?!?!
giphy.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember @marni1971 making a comment that most of what is being built for the 50th has been announced and was then questioned if DAK was thus not getting anything else to which he responded that it should get something by the 50th. I don't remember the thread though as it was off topic so it could be any number of threads.
Could. Not should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom