Animal Kingdom makes Top Ten Worst Zoos list for Elephants?

star77kc

Original Poster
Say it isn't so!! I was so distraught when I saw this news. I'm not sure if it has been brought up here, but I am just curious as to what other Disney fans are thinking about this. I never could have imagined the Disney would be on that list, and it breaks my heart. Anyone else? So sorry I wasnt able to figure out how to post the link to the article.

star77kc

Original Poster
I completely agree with you. I never thought of DAK as a zoo either, but either way it is discouraging to see that they would even be put on that list. The article states that they actually transported a pregnant elephant and it and the baby died from the stress. Elephants are one of the most intelligent animals. I would hope that DAK cared enough for its animals that they wouldn't have put this animal under such a stressful situation.

star77kc

Original Poster
I believe you're referring to this. First, it's a list for the worst zoos for elephants, and second, it was compiled by a group that wishes to keep elephants out of zoos, so grain of salt.
I understand what you are saying, but I would think that even with those okay with elephants in zoos, wouldn't we hope that DAK would be doing what was in the best welfare for the animals? Thank you for the link btw.

Matt_Black

I completely agree with you. I never thought of DAK as a zoo either, but either way it is discouraging to see that they would even be put on that list. The article states that they actually transported a pregnant elephant and it and the baby died from the stress. Elephants are one of the most intelligent animals. I would hope that DAK cared enough for its animals that they wouldn't have put this animal under such a stressful situation.

Well, the article appears to be leaving out some key details. Certainly, moving anybody, person or animal, while they're pregnant can be problematic, and I'd think that the folks at AK would have known that, so perhaps there was a very good reason, like a medical complication that they were not able to treat there.

star77kc

Original Poster
Well, the article appears to be leaving out some key details. Certainly, moving anybody, person or animal, while they're pregnant can be problematic, and I'd think that the folks at AK would have known that, so perhaps there was a very good reason, like a medical complication that they were not able to treat there.
I hope you're right. I don't think it mentions anything about why they transported her.

Lucky

Say it isn't so!! I was so distraught when I saw this news. I'm not sure if it has been brought up here, but I am just curious as to what other Disney fans are thinking about this. I never could have imagined the Disney would be on that list, and it breaks my heart. Anyone else? So sorry I wasnt able to figure out how to post the link to the article.
You can prevent a lot of confusion by editing the thread title to add "for elephants."

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think of DAK as a very FANCY zoo with some theme park additions.. But that's just me and I know I'm in the minority here.

Not saying it's a bad zoo. It's an amazing zoo. But that's what it is to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom