Animal Kingdom Lodge

Jess G

I LOVED AKL!!!! Hubby and I only stayed 4 nights and we always joke saying we have "unfinished business" there lol. Congrats! I wish it was in my budget to stay at a deluxe at all times. My advice, make sure you schedule yourself valid resort time, IMO I could have an entire vacay there w/o ever leaving the resort.

aw14

We stayed there February of 2015 and will be back this Wednesday staying club level there for the first time. You will love. Beautiful resort

Much-Pixie-Dust

There's a lot of hidden mickeys here if you are into it. Drop by activities desk and get hidden Mickey sheet for hunt. As @Jess G said, I could have an entire trip at AKL. It's the best resort IMO. Have a great trip!

thomas998

Know before you go... Here are few of the downsides to keep in mind.

You are probably aware of the pros that go with this resort which is the only reason I mentioned the negatives... You should know going in what you are going to get, and if you go thinking you will see lots of animals and that is a big part of your picking AKL... well don't get your hopes up to high, my kids fell hook line and sinker for the AKL brochures they had seen and were convinced we would wake each morning to animals outside out balcony... That was hardly the case. I'm not sure of what time in May you are going but the later the time in the May the hotter the temps will be and the less likely are going to be seeing any animals. When the weather is hot the animals will only be visible early in the morning or in the evening when they chase them back to the barn.

Rooms on the back side of the resort have horrible views that will require you to go to a viewing area if you want to see anything.

Bus service is your own Disney transport from this resort and it can be absolutely horrible so if you value your time make sure you have a rental car.

JohnByers

I stayed there during the Wine & Dine Marathon weekend in Jambo house 5112 and while the room was very nice and the views where spectacular I didn't care for the distance to the food court and the buses absolutely stunk. Waited 45 min for one to get to AK after I showered from the 5k and I wasn't as enamored with the place as I am with WL.

That said, food court was excellent, staff phenomenal and the room was great.

danyoung56

More so than at most resorts, location is critical at AKL. I've stayed there twice. The first time I had an amazing view of the northwest savannah, and lots of activity as the animals were coming from and going to their nighttime enclosures. The 2nd trip the view out of my window was of a cluster of plants, with a view of just a sliver of the pool. Not cool at all!

mouse_luv

Know before you go... Here are few of the downsides to keep in mind.

You are probably aware of the pros that go with this resort which is the only reason I mentioned the negatives... You should know going in what you are going to get, and if you go thinking you will see lots of animals and that is a big part of your picking AKL... well don't get your hopes up to high, my kids fell hook line and sinker for the AKL brochures they had seen and were convinced we would wake each morning to animals outside out balcony... That was hardly the case. I'm not sure of what time in May you are going but the later the time in the May the hotter the temps will be and the less likely are going to be seeing any animals. When the weather is hot the animals will only be visible early in the morning or in the evening when they chase them back to the barn.

Rooms on the back side of the resort have horrible views that will require you to go to a viewing area if you want to see anything.

Bus service is your own Disney transport from this resort and it can be absolutely horrible so if you value your time make sure you have a rental car.
This isn't always true. AKL is our 2nd home and we have had animals outside our room most if not all of the day. They just move around so it depends whats where when. We had giraffes there most of the day as well as zebras, Ankole cattle, wildebeasts and various storks and birds.

The AKL, esp Kidani is all it's advertised to be and then some. Sorry if you had bad luck there.

@SyracuseDisneyFan you're going to love it. We'll be there again several months before you!! Enjoy! :)

BigRedDad

Enjoy the stay. I love Jambo house. Walking into that smoked out smell every day was incredible. Our first stay was about 7 months after it opened and 2 months after 9/11. It was not crowded and we were treated almost like royalty on our honeymoon there.

thomas998

This isn't always true. AKL is our 2nd home and we have had animals outside our room most if not all of the day. They just move around so it depends whats where when. We had giraffes there most of the day as well as zebras, Ankole cattle, wildebeasts and various storks and birds.

The AKL, esp Kidani is all it's advertised to be and then some. Sorry if you had bad luck there.

@SyracuseDisneyFan you're going to love it. We'll be there again several months before you!! Enjoy! :)
What times of the year have you been at AKL. We were there the last week in May and were told when we asked about the lack of animals that they don't like the heat and always go to some spot toward the back that is cooler than the areas nears the resort... the cast members suggestion if we wanted to see animals was to wake up earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom