Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge

Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanWM48

have you ever been to either before?

wilderness lodge lobby is incredible and i usually recommend people go see it even if they aren't staying there. the restaurants and food court are solid. you mention this being an anniversary; i would have to recommend Artist Point.

normally i would go wilderness here. i also like its proximity to the kingdom; short boat ride away. but observe the pool maintenance schedule before you plan the trip. a closed pool can be a big factor..

Myrtle Beach

Original Poster
have you ever been to either before?

wilderness lodge lobby is incredible and i usually recommend people go see it even if they aren't staying there. the restaurants and food court are solid. you mention this being an anniversary; i would have to recommend Artist Point.

normally i would go wilderness here. i also like its proximity to the kingdom; short boat ride away. but observe the pool maintenance schedule before you plan the trip. a closed pool can be a big factor..
Thanks. We stayed at WL 3 years ago. It was great, and the boat transportation was a huge plus. Also loved artist point, probably one of the best dinners I have had at WDW. We have visited AKL but never stayed. I am leaning towards the new experience but didn't know if it was worth sacrificing a resort we know we love.

andrew870

Wilderness is my favorite hotel of them all. I will not go to Disney unless I stay there. That being said , I could not stay there this May due to her state of construction. Didn't want to see it in that shape. I would go animal lodge.(Which I did)

DisneyJoe

For us, it depends. When we want to get away from things, and perhaps not visit the parks as much, and spend more hotel time, we stay at AKL, we consider it almost a vacation in itself. If we want to be closer to MK and have more park time, we'd choose WL.

We usually chose AKL for an anniversary trip, unless we are going during Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and then we'll stay at the Yacht or Beach Club for easy access to Epcot.

epcotisbest

Wilderness is my favorite hotel of them all. I will not go to Disney unless I stay there. That being said , I could not stay there this May due to her state of construction. Didn't want to see it in that shape. I would go animal lodge.(Which I did)
OK this is very confusing. First you say WL is your favorite and you will not go to Disney unless you stay there. Then you say you could not stay there this May due to the state of construction.
So, since you will not go to Disney unless you stay at WL, you then recommend animal lodge, whatever that is. Then you say "Which I did."
Did what?

HouCuseChickie

We've stayed at both and while I am in the minority, I did not care for WL. While the common areas are impressive, I just don't feel transported to the wilderness the way AKL makes you feel like you're in a wildlife resort in the middle of Africa. I know some people will say that WL is better situated with regard to proximity to MK and boat service, but our bus service was just so much better at AKL that we spent less time messing with transportation. I think some of the issue is that buses to WL also don't run as efficiently when the boats are down (MK one in early morning and weather situations) + there are a number of times where you're sharing buses at WL. Construction doesn't really sway me as we were willing to stay at the Poly during the construction in 2014 and it didn't have much impact on us, but for some- it's a deal breaker.

alissafalco

I absolutely loved my stay at AKL, it was beautiful everywhere.. They have the best restaurants on property. Boma, Jiko & Sanaa. You really feel like you're in an exotic African lodge. Jiko was the best meal I've ever had on property, hands down go there for your anniversary dinner. The bison appetizer and filet entree OH MY GOD :hungry: the bus service was excellent as well. You will love it!

blueboxdoctor

While I have not been to Animal Kingdom Lodge I do think it looks fantastic, especially if you get a room with a great view. However, I'd say Wilderness Lodge based on how easy it is to get to Magic Kingdom and that you can get there via boat instead of bus (not a bus fan). Both are likely the same in terms of overall quality so it really comes down to wanting easier access to MK or AK. I'd stay at Wilderness, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either as long as you know the transportation situation for each resort.

lostpro9het

Another vote for AKL! Jiko would make for a great anniversary dinner, highly recommend the Jasper red wine. I always love reading the "But its way out there" argument as if Kidani is in St. Petersburg or something... In my experience, average trip time to all the parks, not just MK, is on par with most every other resort and many times is faster and more convenient.

Last edited:

Missymoe4

I am a WL lover through and though. Going back in June even with the construction. I think AKL is great but never stayed there, it's the distance from everything on the grounds that discourages me.

The distance does it for me, too. I have stayed at WL and enjoyed it.

KaliSplash

I have not seen the unwanted construction at Wilderness Lodge yet, but absent that, this is not even close. WL is fantastic, from the bus depot to the lobby to the walk about the boats to the pool, to the halls and the rooms etc.

jlsHouston

I love the food choices at AKL. I think the qs restaurant is one of the best. I like all the shade around their pool too. I don't enjoy the amount of time spent on buses because it really is FAR from all the parks and Disney Springs ( except of course AK ), so after a few days I started driving to the parks. But we never waited long for a bus.
I am a WL fan too, but haven't stayed there since before the pool was remodeled. Territory Lounge is one of my favorite spots to chill. This is another resort I avoided disney transportation like the plague and always used my car...

DisneyJunkie

Depends on whether location is a factor or not.......to the Magic Kingdom, that is. If so, then Wilderness Lodge all the way. If not, then it might be a toss-up between the two. I've stayed at WL 4-5 times and love it every time, and we're MK people so being so close is a huge draw.

slappy magoo

I'm not going to pry, so I'll keep it generic - IF you have kids, and they're smaller and you think you'd spend most of your time at MK, let your decision lean more towards Wilderness Lodge.

IF you don't have kids and would like a more romantic resort, lean more towards AKL.

If you think you'll have a car, lean even more towards AKL and drive it when going to Epcot, DHS, the water parks or Disney Springs, relying on buses for AK (because it's so close) and MK (so you don't have to park/tram/ferry or monorail).

If you won't have a car and like to go to different resorts/dine in their restaurants, lean more towards WL - you can boat to Contemporary and from there monorail to Poly and GF, and you also have a walking path to Fort Wilderness if you'd like to visit there. You can also boat to MK and use it as a hub (or any park, really, it'll always be a crap shoot depending on when buses arrive anywhere) At AKL, you can still bus to AK (or, as I wrote above, any theme park) and connect to other resort buses. But it's buses. Less romantic IMHO, compared to boats and monorails or hand-held walks.

DisneyBeatles

Anyone have any photos of how bad the construction at WL is? Will be staying there with some first timers in April and am hoping it's not too much of an eyesore

NelsonRD

Whenever I see a comparison of hotels that includes Animal Kingdom as a choice, the answer is always Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom has animals that can been seen directly from your hotel room, if you choose savanna view, if not, there are plenty of other viewing areas to view animals. Outside of Africa, there is nothing like it in the world, and makes this one of the most unique hotels I have ever stayed at.

The fact that it is further from the parks is a good thing, not a bad thing, as it offers a level seclusion from the stresses of touring the parks all day. This hotel is unique and gorgeous, and in my option cannot be compared to any other hotel on site - its either Animal Kingdom, or not. It does not matter if it is Animal Kingdom or Wilderness, or Animal Kingdom or Contemporary, I will always suggest staying at the Animal Kingdom at least once.

JTT

Love the Animal Kingdom Lodge but Wilderness Lodge is my vote.

The boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is a huge plus for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom