Animal Kingdom Lodge OPINIONS ???

Kevin Page

Who here has stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge?

What is your opinion of the rooms & location as compared with other resorts?

I stayed at both the Polynesian & Wilderness Lodge for
our my honeymoon (both 1st times)

We LOVED the Poly, and while we enjoyed WL, we were "underwhelmed" after staying at the Poly and then having to move over to the WL.

Also, with AK Lodge being kinda "removed" and off to itself, compared with the other resorts, does it feel like you are not "part of the action" OR "part of the magic".

Kevin Page

ToTBellHop

ahhh...Animal Kingdom Lodge. Have you seen it? Amazing...pretty far from Magic Kingdom and Downtown, but not too bad of a distance from Epcot and MGM...very close to Animal Kingdom, as expected. The rooms...you can fit in them:) Disney Magic...you feel it. It has that "larger than life" disney feel and waking up, looking out your window, and seeing giraffe has disney magic through and through...where else can you experience that (besides Africa)?

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by DogsRule!
ahhh...Animal Kingdom Lodge. Have you seen it? Amazing...pretty far from Magic Kingdom and Downtown, but not too bad of a distance from Epcot and MGM...very close to Animal Kingdom, as expected. The rooms...you can fit in them:) Disney Magic...you feel it. It has that "larger than life" disney feel and waking up, looking out your window, and seeing giraffe has disney magic through and through...where else can you experience that (besides Africa)?

Ditto. We stayed in a savannah/ bunkbed room, so it was a little crowded, but roomier than at the CB, not as roomy as the Poly. However, the view and facilities are worth it! It's not as convenient to the parks, but you might be tempted to spend more time at the hotel. The guides are very knowledgeble, and there are lots of places to sit and look at all of the animals, aside from your room...excellent landscaping and decor throughout. The bar is also very pretty, although the wine was a little pricey.

Upvote 0

kevinwyld

Having stayed at the Contemporary Resort, the Swan, and the Coronado Springs, I can only say that the Animal Kingdom Lodge blows them all away.
After being in the savannah view room for a few minutes, I looked out the window and saw six giraffes just outside. Over the next couple of days, many different animals wandered past - quite amazing!
Apart from the animals themselves, the hotel is pretty cool in other areas - the architecture, the staff, the pool, the restaurants, even the shop! On another positive note, the room - which was about as far away from the lobby as you could get - was very quiet, which makes a change!
Although it is quite a way from the parks, staying at the AKL is definitely worth the money - it certainly beats the cost of going to Africa:lol:

Upvote 0

cm1988

DAK Lodge

Friends of mine stayed there in October and claim it is their favorite (they've also stayed at the Poly, the Grand, Beach Club, Village Resort, Old Key West, and Boardwalk).

Rooms are large - not XL like the Contemporary/Grand/Poly - and as others have mentioned, hotel amenities are unmatched. My friends enjoyed hours of animal watching from their "Savannah view" room, and near the pool area as well. Outstanding pool.

We had an excellent dinner at "Boma" (?), though California Grill at the Contemporary and Artists Point (Wilderness Lodge) remain their favorites. Personally, I like Spoodles (at the Boardwalk).

Reading your message, I'm thinking the Yacht/Beach Club or Boardwalk might be your favorite. Walk to Epcot, boat to the Studios, Monorail to the MK (thru Epcot). Many restaurants and clubs right there... ESPN club, brew pub, piano bar, restaurants, restaurants, restaurants. The pool at Yacht/Beach is probably the best of all the resorts... unique water slide and whirlpool. Also, rooms are the XL size, similar to the Poly.

Upvote 0

K22

AKL is so amazing all by itself, you could stay there and not leave it and have an incredible vacation. If you do decide to stay there, plan on taking the time to at least take one of the hotel tours.

If you have lots of kids, one of the other hotels might be more their speed. If you're looking for a little bit more laid back experience, AKL might be what you're looking for. It seemed a little more . . . adult oriented. But, you won't know for sure until you go - so go! You can't go wrong.

Upvote 0

rodkenrich

I heard stories about The Grand Californian on the West Coast, but I think Disney made a vey wise decision of bringing back the architect who developed The Wilderness Lodge to do The Animal Kingdom Lodge. According to The Travel Channel, this hotel is one of the best in the country. I paid a visit in November 2001 and found myself in awe throughout my stay. I don't know of any other resort where one is able to view animals directly outside the rooms balcony. Being that the hotel opened in April 2001, The Animal Kingdom Lodge will remain to be one of the great ones for a long time to come. You can actually skip the themeparks and stay at the hotel and call it a vacation, there is too much time spent at the resort filming, gazing,eating,touring and just saying to yourself WOW!Binoculars were discussed before our trip, but we later discovered that all we had to do was take a scenic tour and get a more bird's eye view of this magnificent Disney resort. Upon entering the lobby, keep in mind that you will be entering the hotel on the third floor, because the restaurants,pools,gamerooms and etc. are on the first floor. I guess creativity played a major role in the developement of this place. I loved the furniture that was choosen in the lobby area and inside the guestrooms, truly unique. Everything from the exterior of the place to the loading area for the Disney buses needs to be scoped out.

Upvote 0

Prezli

I just came back from AKL and I am blown away. Next time I go I am leaving my kid at home and just hang out at the hotel. I found it so relaxing that I had mixed feelings about coming home! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm heading back there in 3 weeks! It's my favorite resort now...I've stayed at all of the deluxes except Y&BC. It is, as several people said, a "theme" park by itself. And the CMs were the best, especially in the gift shop during my last visit.

Upvote 0

gepetto

The animals aren't noisy at all. The bus service was great (or at least last summer it was) and Boma is definitely worth the money. The only think I missed was being near Bay Lake.:) I'd definitely stay there again.

Upvote 0

Tramp

Originally posted by goofyaboutwdw
We have a deluxe sav view reserved for June. Can anyone tell me what room number to request. I have never stayed so I am not sure what floor to request.
Thanks,
Shannon

Shannon....

we stayed on the 4th floor....there are no first floor rooms ....being on an upper floor, we found that the trees prevented us from seeing any real distance into the savanna....so I would recommend the 2nd floor...this way, you're low enuf to see under the trees to view the animals walking in the distance...plus, you'll be at eye-level with the giraffes. also...the hotel is kinda horseshoe shaped....we liked being on the inside of the horseshoe...it just seemed prettier .

Upvote 0

Tramp

Originally posted by gepetto
I'm pretty sure all of the deluxe rooms are on the 5th and 6th floor.:) I didn't see a bad location for any of the savannah view rooms.

I think you're right...the deluxe rooms are on the 5th/6th floor so she may not have a choice...

...all the views are great...but I would stay on the lower floor next time cuz of the trees....that's where they have the viewing areas located cuz your close to the animals...

Upvote 0

Goofette

I just booked a room for the AK today. I think we got a great deal, but I'm not sure. We are going March 3-9 and was offered the Standar Savannah View room for $210.00 a night....is this good? I was thrilled to get it for that. Does anyone know how the crowds will be at this time of year?

Thanks
Goofette

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
My wife and I went in Oct 2001, and the AKL is wonderful. I've stayed in the Contemporary and the Poly, and AKL is the best. I don't think we will even look at another WDW resort. Were just gonna go to AKL every time.

We had a 2nd floor savana view room. And every night a small heard of the Impala type animals (can't remember the name, maybe it was kudo(sp?)), would sleep right below our balcany.

I saw that mousesavers.com listed some nice rate codes, for the spring. I think it was $205 for a savana room. Check them out.

Boma for breakfast was the best. We were eating at the Mara every morning, and really didn't look into Boma. We had reservation for Jinko later in the week, so we just never walked over there.

We "discovered" Boma late in our vacation. Boy, we would have eaten there every morning. Great food!

Don't forget to bring binoculars. Even better viewing, even at night when they feed the animals.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom