1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Animal Kingdom Lodge - Help

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by aristocatmom, Nov 21, 2005.

1. aristocatmom

aristocatmom New Member

I need help.

My family and I are going to Walt Disney World from February 6th until February 12th. We have plans to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. I was just informed that the Roaring Forks Food Court will be closed at that time for refurbishment. Very upset by this. My family and I spent alot of time there the last time we went to WDW. Im not sure if I should change resorts. I was thinking of staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge but I am a little concerned that this lodge is so far away from everything. I would appreciate any information anyone can give on the Animal Kingdom Lodge or if you have any information about the refurbishment plans for Wilderness Lodge. We were so looking forward to our vacation and now Im not sure what to expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aristocatmom

2. Matchieu

Matchieu New Member

I love this resort, its my favorite! There is just something about it that was incredible to me. Waking up everymorning to see zebra outside my window or when i went for a late night swim and just stared at the giraffe. The resort was just so comfortable to me, almost like home.

But to get on subject the fact that it was a little furthur shouldn't spoil it, a bus ride is a bus ride. And the food court was nice similar to the one at WL just much larger.

3. RickEff

RickEff Active Member

I agree - go for it! AKL is my favourite resort as well and I never had a problem with the buses.

I found myself getting in a rut at WDW, and not even knowing it because I always have such a blast. But, I'd always stay at my favourite resort, eat at my favourite restaurants, etc. The last few trips we made the decision to force ourselves to try other things - and now our favourite list just gets longer!

4. mousermerf

mousermerf Account Suspended

I'm a big WL and AKL fan - so i say go for it. I personally don't like Food Courts and try to avoid them (I buy some sorta food for breakfast that i bring with me, or buy from the little store at the resort, or get room service) but I can say that The Mara at AKL is bigger, has more food, and eater stuff than the one at WL. Plus, the resort is really nice - and the bus ride is the same as staying at any other WDW resort.

5. Iakona

Iakona New Member

I am not what you would describe as the most patient person in the world and I had no problem with the transportaion times.

6. shmmrname

shmmrname Active Member

Most of the Bus times really aren't too much different when comparing results... Plus, I'm sure being in AKL will make up for the ten minutes or so extra that you may have to wait around.

7. skeeter

skeeter New Member

animal kingdom lodge is my absolute favorite resort--it cannot be compared to any other resort in the U.S.--that is a fact! you will NOT be dissapointed!!:D

8. md0u80a2

md0u80a2 New Member

I agree with everything above,

The Mara has lots of options and is very reasonable. Pizza, fish and chips, chicken, snadwiches, salads, ice cream, whatever!

As for the distance, it is kind of irrelevant. I think that the geography is a psychological advantage. WL is still a boat ride away, I am not right? And then you would have to get a monorail to ep[______, so that takes a while, and MGM and AK you would get a bus anyway.

The buses run frequently to AK, I found one came to each of the different destinations every 3 or 4 minutes. The longest I waited was 20 minutes at downtown disney and that was a one off. Average was 10 minutes.

There was always space.

I would say go for it and get a room with a savanah view. Oh - and dont ordr a pizza from room service - serves about 5 people!!!!

have fun!

9. wannabeBelle

wannabeBelle Well-Known Member

Well I dont know if you are much of a breakfast person, but I have one word for that, BOMA!!!!!!!!!! Probably the BEST non character buffet on property!!!! This is an amazing resort with a great amount of depth to it. For the extra 5-10 minutes that you would be from some of the other stuff??? You are on Vacation!!! What is 5-10 minutes???? I say go for it and enjoy this truly outstanding resort!!!! Belle

10. barnum42

barnum42 New Member

Both resorts are way out of my pocket for staying, so I'd love to have the problem of pondering between these two great venues.

However I have visited AKL many times and love the place. The food court served the best item I have ever eaten off a paper plate - African Stew. Give it a whirl.

And as Belle said BOMA! :slurp:

11. Monty

Monty Who opened Pandora's Box? Premium Member

I'd say go for it! My son and I are going to be in AKL about the same time [4-11 Feb] and it'll be our first time at that resort as well. On previous trips, we've stayed at the All-Star value resorts a couple of times and once at Port Orleans French Quarter. Switching resorts has done nothing but add to the experience. A little variety is always a good thing.

I've never had any issue with the transportation at WDW! In the morning, you're so excited to be heading to the parks :p, you don't notice and at night, you're so tired :snore:, you don't care.

Maybe we'll have an opportunity or two to chat while we're waiting for a bus while you're there!

Monty

12. carolina_yankee

carolina_yankee Member

We've stayed at AKL 3 times and absolutely love it. If you can appreciate the African theming or the animals, I think it will more than make up for missing WL. Plus, I personally think the pool is much nicer, because it's larger.

As for transporation, I'm not patient when traveling; but I never had a complaint. We rarely waited more than 5 minutes for a bus in January or June, and the travel times just don't seem to be that bad.

I've grown a little tired of Mara, but I do think it has more variety than Roaring Forks. You should have a great time!

Dirk

13. VulliamyWDW

VulliamyWDW New Member

The isolation of the resort was not a problem for us the bus service is quick and easy so you have nothing to worry about. Animal Kingdom Lodge is so amazing you will love it.

VulliamyWDW

14. Kofte

Kofte New Member

I would definitely stay at the AKL. We stayed there summer '04 and absolutely loved it. They upgraded us from a standard view to a savannah. It was so awesome to look out our window at all the fascinating animals. The staff was the most wonderful we have ever had. We decided to not go to the parks one day and just enjoyed the resort and all the activities it had for the kids. The food court was very big. We ate there quite a lot. The transportation was the same as everywhere else we have stayed so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

This year my husband wanted to try WL. I am quite worried I won't like it near as much as I did AKL. I guess I will find out in 18 days. We'll be there Dec 10 - 21. Yahoo!!!!

15. bigkidz895

bigkidz895 Member

My wife and I visited that AKL this passed summer. Since we enjoyed the animals and the African theme, we dediced that we'd definately stay there next time we go!

As far as the distance/travel times... well, I've seen another post that stated the times were irrelevant. I have to agree. Since you'll probably be visiting all the parks and attractions, then you'll find that it's not too bad. You may have to wait a bit longer for some buses going to other parks, but this is the situation everwhere for the bus service for Disney.

Definately go with the AKL!

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!