Trip Report COMPLETE...And that's how you give a cat a pill - an August trip report

Hello all. Thanks for reading the 2015 version of the Burnett family trip report. Hopefully you find it enjoyable. I'll add days as I find time, but this may take a while.

Anyone want to read the pre-trip report - here's the link: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-trip-that-almost-wasn’t….898587/#post-6672384

Intros

So nothing much has changed in terms of the travel party (other than every time I do this we seem to be a year older than the last time).

STUDIO_SUNSET2_7433501884.jpeg

From left to right there is our DD Stephanie (14), myself (Graham – 40), my DW Tammy (XX) and our DS Liam (12). We were down at WDW from August 15th to the 25th. We spent 6 nights at a Poly studio and 4 nights at a WL studio.

Some background

So if you read our last trip report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...in-between-an-august-2014-trip-report.889324/), you may remember that near the end of the trip it was announced that the company I worked for (Tim Hortons), had announced that they were merging with Burger King. There was a lot of uncertainty about what the future would hold after that announcement, and we weren’t sure when we’d be back to WDW. Fast forward to January 26th of this year…I’m sitting in my office when the phone rings and I’m called down to one of the “extra” offices we have. Long story short, my position was deemed redundant, and I was relieved of my duties.

However, a few weeks later I had a new job. After taking a few weeks off to relax, I started my new job…and our next WDW trip was back on.

Once we knew the trip was on we started our normal prep stuff (buying gift cards at Sam’s club or Target each month). By the time we were ready to leave we had enough cards to pay for all the meals etc. I then went on the Disney gift card website and merged all the cards into 3 cards. This made life easier for us (fewer cards to carry) and for the CMs (who didn’t have to scan a bunch of $50 cards when we went to pay our bill).

Well, that’s it for background….So here we go

Day 1 – Aug 15 – A different start

So August 15th finally arrived. Everyone was really excited and had trouble sleeping the night before…Speaking of the night before…this was the first year we didn’t stay at a hotel near the airport. Being so close to the Buffalo airport, we always book flights on either Southwest or Jet Blue out of Buffalo, as they are significantly cheaper than flying out of either Toronto or Hamilton (our hometown). However, this year our flights weren’t until later in the afternoon (3:45), so we didn’t need to stay overnight since it’s only a 1 hour drive from our home to the Buffalo Airport.

So there we were, up nice and early, car already packed and ready to go. We were going to take the kids to their karate class (Steph is a yellow belt and Liam is a brown belt), but then decided it wasn’t worth risking one of them getting hurt so decided we’d just head out early. We made a quick stop at the bank to pick up some US $, and then headed out.

The trip down to Buffalo was fine until we got to the border. We have NEXUS cards (basically means we are pre-screened so we can get through customs quickly – think of it like a customs Fast Pass). However, this time we presented our cards to the officer, and we were then asked to pull over. It turns out there wasn’t anything wrong, but we had been selected for a compliance check. We weren’t really sure what that meant, but we were asked to pull over and get out of the vehicle. A few minutes later another officer came over and did a quick search of the interior of our vehicle, then handed us back our cards and our keys and said we were good to go. Well that was different.

After crossing the border we made a quick stop at Sam’s Club and Target to pick up a few last minute things, and then headed to Cracker Barrel for lunch. After a good lunch we headed over to the airport. We went to the long-term parking lot and found a spot. Right after we pulled in the shuttle came up behind us, and before we knew it we were at the main terminal…which was absolutely packed. It turns out the Baltimore airport had a power loss, so no flights were going in and out, which was causing a back-log. The line inside to get to the Southwest desk wasn’t moving, so we headed outside and did the curbside check-in which was much shorter. Our bags were all within the right weight, so all was good.

Next up was airport security. Fortunately, since we have NEXUS cards, we can sign up for pre-screening at the airport, so there was no wait there either – other than Liam got pulled over for a secondary check (seems to be a theme). They did a hand swab and then put the swab into a computer and a few seconds later he was given the all clear. After that all was good

Waiting to board selfie:
20150815_133904_HDR.jpg

It's funny how things change. Here is a picture of what our kids were doing waiting for our first trip to Disney (7 years ago):
Disney pictures - Day 1 005 - Copy.JPG

and this is what pre-flight boarding looks like now:
20150815_145643_HDR.jpg

There's our plane:
20150815_145745_HDR.jpg

On the plane selfie:
20150815_153602_HDR.jpg

Our flight left on time, and was relatively uneventful (I fell asleep for most of the flight which was great).

I didn't choose the thug life...(and my kids think I'm a total dork now).
20150815_165506_HDR.jpg

We arrived in Orlando around 6:30, right in the middle of the daily storm (which freaked Tammy out. She’s a very nervous flyer). We got off the plane and headed over to the ME desk. That’s when I realized I had forgotten the ME boarding passes at home. No big deal though, they just printed off new ones for us there, and sent us on our way. Our bus was waiting, and we boarded quickly (around 7:00).

ME Selfie:
20150815_190133_HDR.jpg

A half hour drive later and we pulled up to the Poly.

Check-in went smoothly, other than our Magic Bands were no where to be found. It turns out they were waiting for us at Kidani? I guess it kinda makes sense since we had originally booked at Kidani, but we changed that back in February when Poly bookings opened.
20150815_200757_HDR.jpg

Oh well. They gave us four magic bands (and had our colours available), and sent us off to our room.
20150815_201214_HDR.jpg

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 continued

With the safari now done, the kids once again decided they had had enough of us, and took off on their own (i.e. back to Everest). Tammy and I decided we’d walk one of the nature trails, and we’re glad we did.
IMG_2707.JPG

First we saw these monkey-type creatures (I totally forgot their names (although I think one is “Carl”….bah dum bing…all be here all week)).
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2724.JPG

Next there were some birds and fish.
IMG_2732.JPG
20150817_112925.jpg

It was here that we saw a great example of Disney pixie dust and magic. Just as we were approaching the fish tank we heard this gruff voice behind us…”Excuse me (as in move). I don’t have time to see no stinkin’ fish. I have to get to the Lion King”. Yup, some older lady on a scooter decided that the trail was just a quick way to get to the Lion King and couldn’t figure out why we were all just taking our time enjoying the trail. Really just give you the warm and fuzzies, doesn’t it.

We also saw the meerkats
IMG_2741.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 continued

Finally we came to the gorillas. The baby gorilla was kind of cool. It was hanging out with its Mom while the dad got some sleep. Apparently the baby’s older brother is jealous of the baby and tries to intimidate it, so the baby stays close to Mom.
IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

So we get through the trail and get a text from Steph to meet them at Chester and Hester’s, so we head over there.
On the way we passed a CM doing some water art. Pretty cool
20150817_125253.jpg

all done
20150817_125331.jpg

We met up with the kids, and decided lunch was in order. We were close to Restaurantosaurus, so that’s where we went (just the normal chicken nuggets and corn dogs).
20150817_122434.jpg

It was good.

Guess what we did after lunch? Did you guess Everest? You should have. The kids wanted to go back again (and we had Fastpasses – at least I thought we did until I checked the app and saw that we missed the window). I got the impression they may have been on this too much when the CM at the start of the single rider line was doing the “you will not ride with your party” spiel, saw our kids and just says “you know the drill”. Turns out this was their 10th time riding today.

So we say goodbye to Everest, and decide to head to Dinosaur for our next fastpass. Liam loves Dinosaur and said it was the one ride he was really looking forward to (well…besides Everest). So we get to Dinosaur and head to the fastpass line. We got stuck behind a family who doesn’t speak English and are trying to understand why they can’t go through the fastpass line (they actually had fastpasses but they were an hour early). Anyways, that gets rectified and now it’s our turn. I touch my band to the Mickey head…it goes blue…huh? “you missed your FP” the CM tells me. “I don’t think so” I replied as I pull out the app with all the righteous indignation I can muster (and then meekly slip my phone back into my pocket when I realize we totally missed the fastpass window- somehow in my mind I had the fastpass as being between 2:20-3:20 (it was now 2:45), and it was actually 1-2. How in the world did I get 2:20-3:20). Hey, look at that, the standby line is only 30 minutes. Standby it is.
AK_DINOSAURRIDE_7431309923.jpeg

We had a good ride.

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 continued

After Dinosaur we decided it was just too hot and we were all thirsty. Steph and I got floats (orange and rootbeer) and Liam and Tammy got frozen chai lattes.
IMG_2765.JPG
IMG_2766.JPG

After our drinks we headed back to the Poly. On the way out we saw the dark clouds rolling it.

OK, one last picture
AK_TRPLAZA_7431331477.jpeg

As usual, the afternoon storm was on it’s way.

We got back to Poly and just hung around the room, mainly because the storm had started
Here's a picture of the storm from our room
20150817_161457.jpg

and, no joke, about 10 minutes later
20150817_165448.jpg

So with some time to kill, I caught up on work emails and stuff (it’s a bit different being the Controller for a smaller company as opposed to an accounting manager for a large company). After a bit of a rest we started getting ready for dinner. Tonight was Boma.
20150817_181546.jpg

We got to Boma at a good time and were seated quickly. Tammy and I really enjoyed dinner (the peanut soup was amazing).
20150817_183638.jpg
20150817_183646.jpg

However, the kids…not so much. The first time they came back to the table they had macaroni and potatoes….What?....No way….I am not paying $40 a person for macaroni and potatoes. I gave them each a challenge to try 3 things they have never had before. They both did it, so I was happy. Dessert was also good (love zebra domes).
20150817_192842.jpg

Conclusion...as much as Tammy and I enjoyed Boma, there is no point in coming back until the kids become a bit more adventurous in their taste. Maybe in a few years Boma

After dinner we hung around the lobby a bit. Animal Kingdom (Jambo), has the most amazing lobby. I could spend hours just sitting there….the kids not so much.

So that was it for the day. We were all exhausted and went back to the room, and we were all asleep by 10:30.
Here's a nighttime panorama of the view from our room
20150817_210922_Pano.jpg

Blizzard Beach tomorrow.

end of day 3

sheriffwoody

Those baby gorillas were too cute!!! Also, the view from your room during the storm is gorgeous...further solidifying my desire to stay there :D

fractal

Great update!

Love how you can let your kids go off on their own at WDW. Thanks for the review of Boma - my youngest is way too picky for that. I love the "Dad move" of making them try 3 new things - something I could see myself doing.

My family would have abused me unmercifully if I missed 2 FP windows - I'm thinking the 10 single rider times on Everest helped take some heat off of you. :D

NCO91590

I remember your TR too because I'm from Upstate NY and love me some Timmy Ho's. I also remember that you got a new job due to the BK merger? I might sound stalkerish...promise I'm not I just remember because all that was big news around here too. Anyway, hope you're enjoying your new job!

I went to WDW in August 2014 and the heat is like nothing I've ever experienced. Really zaps you. Lots of 1/2 days at the parks. Our next trip is in Feb for my 10 year anniversary. Hubby and I are looking forward to lower crowds and lower temps!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Those baby gorillas were too cute!!! Also, the view from your room during the storm is gorgeous...further solidifying my desire to stay there :D
The gorillas were awesome. The view from the room was definitely the biggest selling point (although two bathrooms in a studio was a close second)

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great update!

Love how you can let your kids go off on their own at WDW. Thanks for the review of Boma - my youngest is way too picky for that. I love the "Dad move" of making them try 3 new things - something I could see myself doing.

My family would have abused me unmercifully if I missed 2 FP windows - I'm thinking the 10 single rider times on Everest helped take some heat off of you. :D
Yeah, it's kind of nice that the kids can go off on their own when they want, although we like having them around as much as possible (we know it's only a few years before they may not want to come with us anymore).

Boma was really good, but I'm thinking it's too different for kids to enjoy. While there is a kid section at the buffet, I would have a hard time justifying the cost when other restaurants have similar items at a much lower cost.

... And trust me, I took plenty of abuse from the kids for missing the fastpasses.

gwhb75

Original Poster
I remember your TR too because I'm from Upstate NY and love me some Timmy Ho's. I also remember that you got a new job due to the BK merger? I might sound stalkerish...promise I'm not I just remember because all that was big news around here too. Anyway, hope you're enjoying your new job!

I went to WDW in August 2014 and the heat is like nothing I've ever experienced. Really zaps you. Lots of 1/2 days at the parks. Our next trip is in Feb for my 10 year anniversary. Hubby and I are looking forward to lower crowds and lower temps!
I've filed a restraining order;)

Yes I'm no longer at Tim Hortons, but everything worked out great.

The heat was really bad this time. Even the locals were complaining. We did lots of half days, back to the pool then another park at night. The other thing was lots of free ice water ( just go to any restaurant or kiosk in the parks and ask for ice water and they'll give you a cup). Thanks for reading.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 4- Open and close

Good morning. You know the routine by now…wake up, make coffee. Today the plan was Blizzard Beach, so we all got up a bit earlier, and were out of the room by 8:15. The bus came quickly, and we were on our way to Blizzard Beach.
Waiting for the bus
20150818_081515.jpg

and the kids on the bus
20150818_082607.jpg

We got to the entrance at around 8:45. Tammy and I went to rent a locker while the kids got in line to get into park (i.e. the "open" part of the open and close title)

At 9:00 they let us into the park. The first order of business was to get some seats by the pool. We were pretty close to the front of the heard, and got good seats.

The view from our chair
100_1716.JPG

and our seats from the pool
100_1715.JPG

and another pool shot
100_1714.JPG

Next up were some slides. First up was Summit Plummet (except for Tammy, who has no interest in that kind of thing). The kids and I were going to take the ski lift up, but they weren’t letting people on it (I think they were training a bunch of new CMs), so the stairs would have to do. We got up and there was hardly any line since it was still pretty early. It was fun, although it does hurt a bit (it’s like the water slaps your back at the bottom).
100_1720.JPG

After SP we went back and got Tammy, and walked back up to do Teamboat Springs. This is probably the best family slide I’ve ever been on (and so much better than the version at Typhoon Lagoon). The line was a bit slow moving as they didn’t have that many tubes running. It was still worth the wait though. We did the toboggan racers after Teamboat. I was trying to explain the concept of inertia to the kids, since they had a hard time figuring out why the person who weighs the most will win this type of race. However, I’m an accountant, not an engineer, so I’m sure I butchered the explanation. We also did the other 3 tube slides

After the tube slides were done, Tammy and I headed to the lazy river, while the kids decided to take off again. The lazy river is so relaxing. Tammy and I did two complete circuits. I think I almost fell asleep. After the lazy river we tried to find the kids (a bit of a challenge without phones). We went back to our seats and waited. Sure enough, the kids showed up…and they were hungry.

Back when we were in the planning stages of our trip, the kids had seen the sundae in a sand pail and had expressed some interest in having that (i.e. “we HAVE to have that when we’re there”). While not a normal lunch, we decided it would be OK, so off they ran to get that. Tammy and I headed over to the ALOTAWATTA LODGE to get a table, and to get some “real food” (although I’m not sure chicken nuggets would be considered “real”).
100_1725.JPG

Lunch was good, and the kids really liked the ice cream (as can be seen from the empty pail)
100_1730.JPG

I think the combination of the heat, and the fact that school was still out in Florida, resulted in the park just being packed now. We decided to call it a day and headed back to the Poly. On the bus back I recommended that the kids have a nap so that they could stay up later tonight. They agreed that would be a good idea. When we got back the kids slept, Tammy read a book on the balcony, and I did some work.

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
day 4 continued

The kids napped for a good 1.5 hours, and woke up refreshed. I wrapped up my work and we started getting ready for dinner. Tonight we were going to Trail’s End. Trail’s End is one of those “hidden gems” as it were. I don’t think too many people think of going to Fort Wilderness, so Trail’s End usually has lots of availability. We took the monorail to the Contemporary, and then the boat from there to Fort Wilderness.
Boat Selfie
20150818_175858_HDR.jpg

Tammy, Steph and Liam
20150818_175828.jpg

We got to TE and were seated almost immediately.
20150818_181145.jpg

IMG_2778.JPG

Forced kiss
IMG_2776.JPG

We were really impressed with the place this time (we had eaten here a few years ago and thought “meh”). The kids really liked it too, and found lots of things they enjoyed (and, bonus, it was $15 less/person than Boma).
20150818_183218.jpg

Everyone really liked it (so much so that we cancelled our Whispering Canyon breakfast reservation on our last day, and changed it to Trail’s End for breakfast instead).

The kids took the camera and started taking pictures
IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

Dinner was good, and the kids had lots of energy from their nap, so we decided to head to the Magic Kingdom for the evening. While we walked back to the boat I booked fastpasses for Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (I love the MDE app).

A shot from the dock waiting for the boat
IMG_2801.JPG

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 4 continued

HM was our first stop when we got into the park (‘cause there was no way I was going to miss another fastpass window EVER again). The standby line was 40 minutes (which I think is ridiculous for an omnimover). Fortunately, the fastpass line only took about 5 minutes. Great ride again.
20150818_203400.jpg

After HM the kids wanted to go to Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor. Tammy is not a fan of this one, and was also feeling really tired, so she decided to call it a night and head back to the room (it was around 9:30). The kids and I thought the show was hilarious (What is red and looks like a shovel? A red shovel…classic).

So once MILF ended (I can’t be the only one who giggles at that short form), the kids wanted to head over to Fantasyland. I noticed that Main Street was really packed, and I realized the castle show and Wishes were about to start. This bodes well for us. We headed into Fantasyland and saw a sight I have never seen before….7DMT with no one in the standby line (despite the fact the posted time said 95 minutes). I had always wanted to go through the standby line, but there was no way I was going to over an hour to do that…but this….this was my chance. And I took it. We ended up waiting about 15 minutes, and we got to see all the cool standby things they have (the spinning barrels, the musical water, and the gem collector game). It was neat to see. We got on the ride, and just as we came over the first hill, Wishes started. It was so cool to have fireworks going off all around us while we rode.
20150818_220612.jpg

After the mine, we bolted over to Space Mountain, and did the standby on that one too (15 minutes – Wishes had just ended, and a lot of people were making their way towards Tomorrowland, so I think we just made it). Fun ride again.
space 1.jpg

Buzz was after Space (with our last fastpass). It was fun too.
20150818_225418.jpg

We headed over to the Tomorrowland Speedway after Buzz. Liam still really likes this one (I don’t fit well in those cars (at 6’4”, my legs don’t fit behind the wheel. I actually have to sit in the passenger side and drive that way). I decided to sit this one out, while Steph and Liam went on. They had fun.
IMG_2808.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG

The scary thing is that in about a year and a half she'll be able to do this for real:
IMG_2817.JPG

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
day 4 continued

Now the plan was to head over to Adventureland and do the Jungle Cruise, but our route was blocked by the Main Street Electrical Parade. What to do…We decided Splash Mountain was a good alternative (see, it doesn’t count as missing your FP when you all agree to skip it…it’s not the same I’m telling ya). Splash was empty...like really empty…as in the CMs thanked us for coming. It was kind of odd (although it was around 11:45). So we go through the ride and have a great time.
splash 1.jpg

We get back to the loading area again, and guess who was there? No one (well…a few CM’s but that was it).
20150819_001135.jpg

They asked if we wanted to go through again. Of course we do…and just as we said that all the emergency lights went on. Not really sure what happened, but we had to sit there for about 5 minutes…and a bunch of people suddenly showed up…and stood there looking at us…I said I felt like an animal at the zoo. Anyways, whatever the problem was got fixed, and we went through one last time.
MK_SPLASH_7433250545.jpeg

It’s funny, but we totally lost track of time. We got off Splash and were going to go to BTMRR, but there was one small problem….all the lights were off on BTMRR…I checked the phone…12:15. Cool, we made it to park closing. Never done that before.

So we head through a completely empty Fronteirland
20150819_001627.jpg

and head to the hub, just in time for the Kiss Goodnight. I’d always wanted to see it, but never had before.

Main St was still pretty busy. One last picture on the way out
castle 1.jpg

This was a great night. We had so much fun. We were tired, but happy. We took a boat back to the Poly, and were in the room by 1:00. Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios.

End of day 4

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom