Trip Report COMPLETE...And that's how you give a cat a pill - an August trip report

Hello all. Thanks for reading the 2015 version of the Burnett family trip report. Hopefully you find it enjoyable. I'll add days as I find time, but this may take a while.

Anyone want to read the pre-trip report - here's the link: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-trip-that-almost-wasn’t….898587/#post-6672384

Intros

So nothing much has changed in terms of the travel party (other than every time I do this we seem to be a year older than the last time).

STUDIO_SUNSET2_7433501884.jpeg

From left to right there is our DD Stephanie (14), myself (Graham – 40), my DW Tammy (XX) and our DS Liam (12). We were down at WDW from August 15th to the 25th. We spent 6 nights at a Poly studio and 4 nights at a WL studio.

Some background

So if you read our last trip report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...in-between-an-august-2014-trip-report.889324/), you may remember that near the end of the trip it was announced that the company I worked for (Tim Hortons), had announced that they were merging with Burger King. There was a lot of uncertainty about what the future would hold after that announcement, and we weren’t sure when we’d be back to WDW. Fast forward to January 26th of this year…I’m sitting in my office when the phone rings and I’m called down to one of the “extra” offices we have. Long story short, my position was deemed redundant, and I was relieved of my duties.

However, a few weeks later I had a new job. After taking a few weeks off to relax, I started my new job…and our next WDW trip was back on.

Once we knew the trip was on we started our normal prep stuff (buying gift cards at Sam’s club or Target each month). By the time we were ready to leave we had enough cards to pay for all the meals etc. I then went on the Disney gift card website and merged all the cards into 3 cards. This made life easier for us (fewer cards to carry) and for the CMs (who didn’t have to scan a bunch of $50 cards when we went to pay our bill).

Well, that’s it for background….So here we go

Day 1 – Aug 15 – A different start

So August 15th finally arrived. Everyone was really excited and had trouble sleeping the night before…Speaking of the night before…this was the first year we didn’t stay at a hotel near the airport. Being so close to the Buffalo airport, we always book flights on either Southwest or Jet Blue out of Buffalo, as they are significantly cheaper than flying out of either Toronto or Hamilton (our hometown). However, this year our flights weren’t until later in the afternoon (3:45), so we didn’t need to stay overnight since it’s only a 1 hour drive from our home to the Buffalo Airport.

So there we were, up nice and early, car already packed and ready to go. We were going to take the kids to their karate class (Steph is a yellow belt and Liam is a brown belt), but then decided it wasn’t worth risking one of them getting hurt so decided we’d just head out early. We made a quick stop at the bank to pick up some US $, and then headed out.

The trip down to Buffalo was fine until we got to the border. We have NEXUS cards (basically means we are pre-screened so we can get through customs quickly – think of it like a customs Fast Pass). However, this time we presented our cards to the officer, and we were then asked to pull over. It turns out there wasn’t anything wrong, but we had been selected for a compliance check. We weren’t really sure what that meant, but we were asked to pull over and get out of the vehicle. A few minutes later another officer came over and did a quick search of the interior of our vehicle, then handed us back our cards and our keys and said we were good to go. Well that was different.

After crossing the border we made a quick stop at Sam’s Club and Target to pick up a few last minute things, and then headed to Cracker Barrel for lunch. After a good lunch we headed over to the airport. We went to the long-term parking lot and found a spot. Right after we pulled in the shuttle came up behind us, and before we knew it we were at the main terminal…which was absolutely packed. It turns out the Baltimore airport had a power loss, so no flights were going in and out, which was causing a back-log. The line inside to get to the Southwest desk wasn’t moving, so we headed outside and did the curbside check-in which was much shorter. Our bags were all within the right weight, so all was good.

Next up was airport security. Fortunately, since we have NEXUS cards, we can sign up for pre-screening at the airport, so there was no wait there either – other than Liam got pulled over for a secondary check (seems to be a theme). They did a hand swab and then put the swab into a computer and a few seconds later he was given the all clear. After that all was good

Waiting to board selfie:
20150815_133904_HDR.jpg

It's funny how things change. Here is a picture of what our kids were doing waiting for our first trip to Disney (7 years ago):
Disney pictures - Day 1 005 - Copy.JPG

and this is what pre-flight boarding looks like now:
20150815_145643_HDR.jpg

There's our plane:
20150815_145745_HDR.jpg

On the plane selfie:
20150815_153602_HDR.jpg

Our flight left on time, and was relatively uneventful (I fell asleep for most of the flight which was great).

I didn't choose the thug life...(and my kids think I'm a total dork now).
20150815_165506_HDR.jpg

We arrived in Orlando around 6:30, right in the middle of the daily storm (which freaked Tammy out. She’s a very nervous flyer). We got off the plane and headed over to the ME desk. That’s when I realized I had forgotten the ME boarding passes at home. No big deal though, they just printed off new ones for us there, and sent us on our way. Our bus was waiting, and we boarded quickly (around 7:00).

ME Selfie:
20150815_190133_HDR.jpg

A half hour drive later and we pulled up to the Poly.

Check-in went smoothly, other than our Magic Bands were no where to be found. It turns out they were waiting for us at Kidani? I guess it kinda makes sense since we had originally booked at Kidani, but we changed that back in February when Poly bookings opened.
20150815_200757_HDR.jpg

Oh well. They gave us four magic bands (and had our colours available), and sent us off to our room.
20150815_201214_HDR.jpg

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Looks like a great start! I'm nervous about what happened with your AP upgrade... o_O

Also, that Poly room looks amazing! That might have to be the next place we stay if we can get in.
I'll let the tension build for a while.... The Poly room was really nice. We weren't sure what view we'd have or what floor we'd be on, but we were very happy. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Squigglove

LOL, I was also looking for my party in the backgrounds of your photos!! We were there Aug 19 - Aug 26. Did MK twice and ventured through Poly many-a-time! I'm smitten and vowed our next stay will be there. This was our first stay on Disney property though, we did POR and I truly loved it.
And YES for Haunted Mansion!!! I also feel like I didn't officially "do Disney" until certain rides have been checked off. Unfortunately, Pirates is one of them.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 - First full day – MK – Hot and Bothered

So our first full day is here. I always love the start of each Disney trip. You have the whole trip ahead of you, and it seems like you have all the time in the world. We must have been tired though, because I didn’t wake up until 7:30 (which is like sleeping in for us – normally I’m up at 6:00 for work). I got up and made coffee (I may not work there any more, but I still like the coffee #NOHARDFEELINGS).
IMG_2681.JPG

Soon everyone else was up, and we were out the door by 9:30. As we left the building, we were hit with a wall of humidity. I’ve felt it hot before, but this felt extremely hot (and it’s only 9:30).

We decided we’d take the ferry this morning (the cool thing about the villas is that they are about a two minute walk to the ferry deck, or a two minute walk to the Great Ceremonial House where you can get the monorail).
IMG_2509.JPG

The ferry came, and we were at the MK in no time.
IMG_2515.JPG

A couple of shots of the Poly from the ferry
20150816_101855_Pano.jpg

IMG_2521.JPG

We headed up Main St and hooked a left towards Frontierland, as we had fastpasses for BTMRR. Just as well we had them, as the stand-by line was 90 minutes
20150816_105610_HDR.jpg

– hmmmmm…I don’t remember it being this busy in the past. Also, I don’t remember it being this hot. I’m standing still and just dripping sweat. Feels kind of gross.

Anyways, we headed on the BTMRR and had a great time on the “wildest ride in the wilderness”.

So let me get this straight...you aren't supposed to do the thing with the red line through it right?
IMG_2537.JPG

Kids just don't listen
IMG_2538.JPG

It was fun though
IMG_2546.JPG

After BTMRR we headed back towards Fantasyland. We noticed Story Time With Belle only had a 10 minute wait, so we decided to give that a shot (we’ve never done it before).
20150816_121008_HDR.jpg

It was actually a really good show. The CM playing Belle was really good. She noticed a girl in the audience dresses as Belle who wasn’t part of the actual show (if you’ve never done it before, kids are selected to play parts and they re-enact the story of how Belle met Beast). When it was time for the kids to do the parade at the end of the play, she went over and asked the girl to join her. I thought that was a nice touch.

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

After Belle we headed over to Gaston’s Tavern. Steph loves cinnamon rolls, so we got one to share, and Liam also grabbed a Lafou’s Brew.
20150816_122440.jpg

20150816_122421.jpg

IMG_2564.JPG

Feeling slightly refreshed, we made our way over to Space Mountain for our next fastpass. When we got to SM, the standby line was 80 minutes. I’m glad we have those fastpasses, otherwise we wouldn’t be getting on anything today (I actually think they are giving out too many fastpasses, which is resulting in the fastpass line basically becoming a second (although shorter) standby). Anyways…we blasted through space and had a great time.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429833632.jpg

After SM the kids decided they had had enough of hanging out with us, and took off to do some stuff on their own (although they ended up doing one of the most un-kid like things in the parks (CoP)). While they did that, Tammy and I got in line to get pictures with Buzz (we thought it would be funny). By the time we got to the front of the line we were getting texts saying they were done. We told them to rush over to us and they could get their picture done too. They made it just in time.
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429887754.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429885973.jpg

After Buzz, we went over to 7DMT for the last of our first 3 FPs. This one had a standby of 110 minutes. I like the ride and all, but it’s way too short for a 110 minute wait. Regardless, we had FPs, so we were good to go. It was fun.

20150816_135835.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429929409.jpg

20150816_140210_HDR.jpg

After 7DMT we wandered the stores a bit...that's when I found this:
IMG_2551.JPG

As a Canadian, I can tell you this isn't real. This soap isn't made with beaver butts. Even if it is, do you really want to wash your face with beaver butt? This is doing nothing for the stereotypes people have about Canadians you know ;).

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
day 2 continued

It was just way too hot today, and we decided to call it for now. We headed back to the Poly (but not before a few more pictures):
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429787723.jpg
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429580901.jpg

So we headed back to the poly:
IMG_2609.JPG

We got there, and everyone was feeling hungry so we headed to:
IMG_2602.JPG

and grabbed a few things (two flatbreads and an order of pulled pork nachos).
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG

All were quite good. I did run into an issue with my refillable mug. For some reason my mug wasn’t activated (when I bought the mug the night before I got Iced Tea which doesn’t use the Rapid Fill thing which is why I didn’t catch it the night before). It was quickly fixed by a CM (who I’m sure was sceptical of my story that I had bought the mug the night before, but activated the mug anyway).

I'm starting to think the kids believe they have to mimic the warning signs they see
IMG_2605.JPG

After lunch we headed out to the pool to cool off.
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG

It was fun, although it is a small seating area, so it was hard to find chairs. We finally did find a few, and claimed our spot. Later in the afternoon the guy in front of us came back to his chair and suddenly started yelling in pain. I guess he had stepped on a red ant hill and they were biting him quite a bit. We made sure to direct the kids away from there when they came over. We swam for a few hours, and then headed back to the room to get changed. Tonight we were eating at House of Blues (we had never been there before).

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

We took the bus from the Poly to Disney Springs (I’ll probably call it DTD forever) and wandered around a bit. We saw one of the amphicars launching from the Boathouse, which was pretty neat to see
IMG_2616.JPG

We got to HoB right on time and were seated quickly.
IMG_2623.JPG

We decided to get the jalapeno corn bread to start, which was pretty good.
IMG_2626.JPG

For our main courses, Steph got Lobster Mac and Cheese, Liam got a burger, Tammy got a fish sandwich, and I got the Buffalo chicken salad (Tammy and I then spilt the sandwich and the salad in half so we could try each other’s).
IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2634.JPG
Overall, I’d say House of Blues was in the “OK” category. The food was good, but there was nothing that would make the place stand out in my mind. I doubt we’ll go back, but we’re glad we tried it.

After dinner we decided to head back to the Marketplace to get the bus back to Poly. The kids decided they wanted to take a boat over, while Tammy and I decided to walk. About 10 minutes into the walk we got a text from Steph saying that the boats were cancelled because of lightening (the daily storm was rolling through). Tammy and I were a bit concerned because DTD was packed tonight (it was a Sunday night). We told the kids where we were, and I stood up on one of the planters so they could see me (I’m pretty tall already (6’4”), so this really made me stand out). A few minutes later we saw them through the crowd of people, and we were all together again.

We made a quick stop in BASIN, where Steph picked up some shampoo bars, and then a quick stop to the pin store where Liam picked up a Yoda pin.
20150816_205940.jpg

IMG_2686.JPG

After that we called it a night, and headed back to the Poly.

When we got back to the room “Wishes” had just started, so we sat on the balcony and watched (I didn't bring my tripod, so I couldn't do too long of an exposure on the picture unfortunately).
IMG_2660.JPG

After that it was bed. Tomorrow’s plan is Animal Kingdom.

end of day 2

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
LOL, I was also looking for my party in the backgrounds of your photos!! We were there Aug 19 - Aug 26. Did MK twice and ventured through Poly many-a-time! I'm smitten and vowed our next stay will be there. This was our first stay on Disney property though, we did POR and I truly loved it.
And YES for Haunted Mansion!!! I also feel like I didn't officially "do Disney" until certain rides have been checked off. Unfortunately, Pirates is one of them.
I know how you feel. Space Mountain is another one that makes me feel like I'm in Disney, and we were there the year it was down for the long refurb. It sucked. Pirates is definitely another one. We did like the Poly a lot, although I personally preferred Wilderness Lodge (which surprised me since it's been my "goal" to stay at the Poly since we started going to Disney).

smk

Loving the report. I really the SM pic of the kids sleeping, we have one from our son and friends of them all sleeping on the ride too. Hilarious!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Cracking up at the kids imitating the "Do Not" signs, heck you even have a pin with them on.

Nice update!
I just noticed the pin after you mentioned it. There were a few other signs we wanted to do, but didn't get a chance. Guess we'll have to go back and do some more :)

gwhb75

Original Poster
Loving the report. I really the SM pic of the kids sleeping, we have one from our son and friends of them all sleeping on the ride too. Hilarious!
The kids pretty much do a pose for every ride (they'll often have them planned out and just tell Tammy and I what we're supposed to do). Thanks for reading.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 – AK – It’s not the heat it’s the…oh wait…it is the heat

Good morning Day 3. All the fun of the past day and half (as well as the crazy heat) must have really taken its toll on us, as we all slept in until around 7:30 (is it sad that we consider 7:30 to be sleeping in?). So I was up and made coffee and started getting ready. The rest of the family unit were soon up getting ready too, and we were out the door by 8:45. The plan today was Animal Kingdom (or, as the kids consider it, “Expedition Everest”).

We leave Moorea and head out towards the bus stop, when we come upon a family wandering aimlessly on the pathways. I guess it was their first day, and the construction walls were causing some confusion. They were trying to find the busses, so we told them to follow us. We got to the busses just as the AK bus was pulling up, so we happily jumped on and had a leisurely ride to Animal Kingdom.
and here we are
AK_ENTR2_7431340545.jpeg

We got to AK, went through bag check and headed towards the Oasis. On the way we saw De Vine.

Our first stop was the Outpost. The park had just opened so there was next to no wait to see Mickey and Minnie.
AK_ADVOUTPOSTA1CHARACTER_7430752838.jpeg

I saw this picture up on the wall, and thought it was hilarious. It looks like Mickey is stalking Minnie... "don't turn around"

20150817_093848.jpg

So what to do next (Everest)….Kids what do you want to do (Everest)… We could go to Everest first I guess… so we headed over to Everest.
20150817_130232_HDR.jpg

There was a 30 minute wait for the standby line, and we didn’t have fastpasses until later in the day. However, the kids are older now, which means the single rider line is an option for us now (we started doing single riders last year, and it is so much faster). Within 5 minutes we had all been on the ride once (all of us except Tammy. She will ride if we all can get on together, but won't go on by herself)…so we did it again…and again…3 times using single rider.
AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7430774851.jpeg

AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_7430772786.jpeg

After Everest we headed over to Africa for our Safari Fastpass.
20150817_103611.jpg

In line selfie, but where's Liam?
20150817_104020_HDR.jpg

Oh, there he is
20150817_104232_HDR.jpg

I find the safari can be hit or miss depending on the time of day. This time it was really good. There were lots of animals out and they were all pretty active (there were two birds who were very “active”)….they’re just dancing kids.

These are giraffes...you're welcome.
20150817_105349.jpg

to be continued

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom