Trip Report COMPLETE...And that's how you give a cat a pill - an August trip report

Hello all. Thanks for reading the 2015 version of the Burnett family trip report. Hopefully you find it enjoyable. I'll add days as I find time, but this may take a while.

Anyone want to read the pre-trip report - here's the link: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-trip-that-almost-wasn’t….898587/#post-6672384

Intros

So nothing much has changed in terms of the travel party (other than every time I do this we seem to be a year older than the last time).

STUDIO_SUNSET2_7433501884.jpeg

From left to right there is our DD Stephanie (14), myself (Graham – 40), my DW Tammy (XX) and our DS Liam (12). We were down at WDW from August 15th to the 25th. We spent 6 nights at a Poly studio and 4 nights at a WL studio.

Some background

So if you read our last trip report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...in-between-an-august-2014-trip-report.889324/), you may remember that near the end of the trip it was announced that the company I worked for (Tim Hortons), had announced that they were merging with Burger King. There was a lot of uncertainty about what the future would hold after that announcement, and we weren’t sure when we’d be back to WDW. Fast forward to January 26th of this year…I’m sitting in my office when the phone rings and I’m called down to one of the “extra” offices we have. Long story short, my position was deemed redundant, and I was relieved of my duties.

However, a few weeks later I had a new job. After taking a few weeks off to relax, I started my new job…and our next WDW trip was back on.

Once we knew the trip was on we started our normal prep stuff (buying gift cards at Sam’s club or Target each month). By the time we were ready to leave we had enough cards to pay for all the meals etc. I then went on the Disney gift card website and merged all the cards into 3 cards. This made life easier for us (fewer cards to carry) and for the CMs (who didn’t have to scan a bunch of $50 cards when we went to pay our bill).

Well, that’s it for background….So here we go

Day 1 – Aug 15 – A different start

So August 15th finally arrived. Everyone was really excited and had trouble sleeping the night before…Speaking of the night before…this was the first year we didn’t stay at a hotel near the airport. Being so close to the Buffalo airport, we always book flights on either Southwest or Jet Blue out of Buffalo, as they are significantly cheaper than flying out of either Toronto or Hamilton (our hometown). However, this year our flights weren’t until later in the afternoon (3:45), so we didn’t need to stay overnight since it’s only a 1 hour drive from our home to the Buffalo Airport.

So there we were, up nice and early, car already packed and ready to go. We were going to take the kids to their karate class (Steph is a yellow belt and Liam is a brown belt), but then decided it wasn’t worth risking one of them getting hurt so decided we’d just head out early. We made a quick stop at the bank to pick up some US $, and then headed out.

The trip down to Buffalo was fine until we got to the border. We have NEXUS cards (basically means we are pre-screened so we can get through customs quickly – think of it like a customs Fast Pass). However, this time we presented our cards to the officer, and we were then asked to pull over. It turns out there wasn’t anything wrong, but we had been selected for a compliance check. We weren’t really sure what that meant, but we were asked to pull over and get out of the vehicle. A few minutes later another officer came over and did a quick search of the interior of our vehicle, then handed us back our cards and our keys and said we were good to go. Well that was different.

After crossing the border we made a quick stop at Sam’s Club and Target to pick up a few last minute things, and then headed to Cracker Barrel for lunch. After a good lunch we headed over to the airport. We went to the long-term parking lot and found a spot. Right after we pulled in the shuttle came up behind us, and before we knew it we were at the main terminal…which was absolutely packed. It turns out the Baltimore airport had a power loss, so no flights were going in and out, which was causing a back-log. The line inside to get to the Southwest desk wasn’t moving, so we headed outside and did the curbside check-in which was much shorter. Our bags were all within the right weight, so all was good.

Next up was airport security. Fortunately, since we have NEXUS cards, we can sign up for pre-screening at the airport, so there was no wait there either – other than Liam got pulled over for a secondary check (seems to be a theme). They did a hand swab and then put the swab into a computer and a few seconds later he was given the all clear. After that all was good

Waiting to board selfie:
20150815_133904_HDR.jpg

It's funny how things change. Here is a picture of what our kids were doing waiting for our first trip to Disney (7 years ago):
Disney pictures - Day 1 005 - Copy.JPG

and this is what pre-flight boarding looks like now:
20150815_145643_HDR.jpg

There's our plane:
20150815_145745_HDR.jpg

On the plane selfie:
20150815_153602_HDR.jpg

Our flight left on time, and was relatively uneventful (I fell asleep for most of the flight which was great).

I didn't choose the thug life...(and my kids think I'm a total dork now).
20150815_165506_HDR.jpg

We arrived in Orlando around 6:30, right in the middle of the daily storm (which freaked Tammy out. She’s a very nervous flyer). We got off the plane and headed over to the ME desk. That’s when I realized I had forgotten the ME boarding passes at home. No big deal though, they just printed off new ones for us there, and sent us on our way. Our bus was waiting, and we boarded quickly (around 7:00).

ME Selfie:
20150815_190133_HDR.jpg

A half hour drive later and we pulled up to the Poly.

Check-in went smoothly, other than our Magic Bands were no where to be found. It turns out they were waiting for us at Kidani? I guess it kinda makes sense since we had originally booked at Kidani, but we changed that back in February when Poly bookings opened.
20150815_200757_HDR.jpg

Oh well. They gave us four magic bands (and had our colours available), and sent us off to our room.
20150815_201214_HDR.jpg

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
We loved our room. The Poly DVC studios are really large, and the two showers are a fantastic idea. We really love it here (and the view wasn’t bad either).
Our room number:
20150815_202324_HDR.jpg

and a few room shots:
20150815_202604_HDR.jpg
20150815_202525_HDR.jpg
20150815_202651.jpg
20150815_202734_HDR.jpg

the view at night:
20150815_202444_HDR.jpg

and during the day:
IMG_2499.JPG

So we’re finally here…what do to now…MK it is. BUT first a bit of back-story. We bought 10 day park hopper with waterpark fun and more through Undercover Tourist. However, a few months before our trip Tammy and I started talking about going down around New Year’s Eve, so we came up with a plan to upgrade to annual passes (normal passes, not premium). We wanted to make sure we didn’t mess anything up, so we took the ferry over to the MK, and stopped by guest services to make sure our plan would work. We were told it would be no problem to upgrade and were given the price. We told the CM we’d do it at the end of the trip since we wanted to go the waterparks first, which he agreed made sense (keep this conversation in mind). We also bought a Tables In Wonderland card (I’ve heard rumors this may be going away. I hope not).

So, with our questions answered and a TiW card in hand, we headed into the parks. We were happy that the passes we bought through Undercover Tourist worked (I would fully recommend buying from them), and before we knew it we were walking “right down the middle of Main St USA”.
20150815_210652.jpg

The first order of business was dinner. In typical Steph and Liam fashion, they both wanted to go somewhere different (Steph wanted Columbia Harbor, Liam wanted Starlight Café). What to do??? I pulled together all the negotiation and conflict management skills I had accumulated over the years (i.e. “OK guys…Rock, Paper Scissors…winner picks the place). Liam is one tough Rock, Paper, Scissor player, so Starlight Cafe it was. A typical QS meal was had.
IMG_2481.JPG

Now, with full tummies, it was off to the parks. I had booked FP’s that day just in case we did make it to the parks. Unfortunately, we missed our Space Mountain FP by 5 minutes (we got there at 9:30. The FP window closed at 9:20). We then headed across the park to Big Thunder for our next FP. We made that one in time. I love that ride at night. Wishes started while we were on it, so it was really cool to have fireworks going off while we’re riding through Thunder Mesa. We got off BTM and went right to Splash which has no wait since Wishes was still on. It was fun, and we avoided getting soaked.
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_Park_7429273525 (1).jpg

We closed the night out at Haunted Mansion with our last fast pass. I don’t know what it is, but HM is one of the rides that really makes me feel I’m at Disney.

After HM we called it a day. We headed back to the Poly (by monorail). We went to Captain Cooks and picked up refillable mugs (Captain Cooks looks great. We’ll probably eat here at some point). Back to the room after that, as the excitement of the day had finally caught up to us. We were all in bed around 12:30 (MK was open until 2 but we didn’t want to start our trip exhausted). The plan is MK for a full day tomorrow.

end of day 1

awheartsdw

Great report so far. We definitely saw you and your family during our trip. We were also at Poly, in the Hawaii building. My daughter loves Captain America and was counting the number of people she saw wearing Captain America tshirts during our visit. She saw you guys at MK and was thrilled to immediately add 4 CA tshirts to her tally! Looking forward to reading more!

DisneyPrincess5

Following! Great report so far. LOVE your Poly room. DH and I stayed here for our first two trips together. What they've done with the rehab looks fantastic. Love it there-great memories.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great report so far. We definitely saw you and your family during our trip. We were also at Poly, in the Hawaii building. My daughter loves Captain America and was counting the number of people she saw wearing Captain America tshirts during our visit. She saw you guys at MK and was thrilled to immediately add 4 CA tshirts to her tally! Looking forward to reading more!
That's funny that you recognized us. The Captain America shirts definately got some attention when we were all together.

Mom@disney

Hi from a fellow Canadian! Curious to know if the pull down bed your son is pictured lying down on was comfortable for him? Love your incredible room view! Great start to the trip, following along

gwhb75

Original Poster
Hi from a fellow Canadian! Curious to know if the pull down bed your son is pictured lying down on was comfortable for him? Love your incredible room view! Great start to the trip, following along

Apparently it was very comfortable. The kids fought over whose turn it was to sleep in it every night. Same thing at Wilderness Lodge too. Thanks for reading.

sheriffwoody

Looks like a great start! I'm nervous about what happened with your AP upgrade... o_O

Also, that Poly room looks amazing! That might have to be the next place we stay if we can get in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom