An unusual predicament....

Dawn S

Original Poster
OK, I am in a bit of a bind & could use some educated assumptions, if anyone has an idea to share.

I have a friend (who is practically a member of the family) who is having a commitment ceremony with her partner in San Francisco at the front of next year. She said that since many of us on the east coast may be unable to make it, they want to basically do a "renewal" to include us when they come to visit in the summer. Since this woman has done a lot for us in the past & she is such a Disney fan (EPCOT, specifically), I made her an offer. I told her to come here, I'll set up a ceremony for them & we'll do a reception type thing at EPCOT afterward. She is thrilled with the idea, but here's my situation... I am not familiar with the legalities of her relationship & the ceremony. Can I go to a standard wedding chapel & set up a same-______ ceremony? Especially if it is basically just for "show" for us here & the real thing has already been done? I'm not even sure who would perform this type of ceremony or where to have it exactly. I want to set this up FOR her & make it something they just walk into, all ready for them, but to be honest, this is not my lifestyle & I'm rather ignorant in how to go about it.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this or could anyone make an intelligent suggestion on who I should call about this? Any suggestions are SO appreciated. Thanks, in advance!!

SteveUK

I'm afraid I've got no idea about the legal implications of such an event. But if the actual ceremony has already taken place and your one is just for show then there shouldn't be a problem as no ceremony is actually taking place and no legal proceedings are being conducted, all that was done earlier.
If this is the case then there should be no legal problems and it would probably be down to the discretion of the individual venue as to whether they would be happy to accomodate you. This would be a personal opinion of the chapels management, not a legal issue.
As I said, I don't know about local laws. This advice is just based on my common sense and understanding of the situation, sorry if it's wrong or doesn't help much. I hope you get something arranged and have a good time though. Good Luck.

FanofDinsey1981

OR since they are already "married" have a friend do a mock ceremony. it would probably be more meaningful from a friend or family member, and there is no legal binds to go through. see if that is ok with them, maybe they will go for that idea!

Dawn S

Original Poster
All very good ideas, guys & thanks much for the input. I'm going to have a chat with them about these ideas & see what they prefer to do. As always, you guys are the best. Danke shoen!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom