An 'Ohana questiona about kids

Donald Razorduck

Original Poster
I have an 11 and 12 year old that are rather nonadventurous when it comes to eating. I understand you can request a children's menu that has more basic choices on it. Is that at buffet price or priced by the plate? Also, I'vo read where that's for 3 to 9 year olds. Does that mean they strictly enforce that age limit or will they allow us to order for our kids off of it? I'm I going to claim really large 9 and 8 year olds? We have made only a couple of reservations at places that seem fun like Whispering Springs (staying at WL) and Tusker House due to our fear of having to pay big money and the kids not eat anything.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
General rule of thumb with all Disney buffets is that you are charged by your age regardless of what you get. If you are 10 or older, you get charged the adult price even if you eat noting but mac n cheese.

It has been my experience that they will bring you anything on the menu with no regard to who eats what. It was not uncommon for me to have an 15 year old that ate nothing but chicken fingers along side her 7 year old sister that would eat anything.

The only time age is really a factor is when you are at a non-buffet restaurant. Nearly all of the Disney owned restaurants will allow someone 10 or older to order from the kids menu, but they are charged extra and given a larger portion. Some of the non-Disney owned restaurants will not even entertain that idea.

The last wrinkle is if you are on the dining plan. If your kids are on the child's plan, they have to order from the child's menu at the non-buffet, table service restaurants.

JillC LI

To add to Master Yoda's comments above, in light of your Thread header, I have a family with picky eaters as well, including myself, and the dinner offerings at 'Ohana are about as perfect as you can get for a picky eater - plain, delicious, meats.

erasure fan1

I have an 11 and 12 year old that are rather nonadventurous when it comes to eating. I understand you can request a children's menu that has more basic choices on it. Is that at buffet price or priced by the plate?
I can confirm, you can request the kids menu but you will be charged for the age of the child. So a 12yr old will be charged full boat for eating chicken fingers or mac and cheese. I will say it was the most expensive mac and cheese I have ever paid for. Of course to make up for it I ate half my body weight in steak, shrimp and chicken wings so we got our moneys worth. ;)

righttrack

You can try first with the regular offerings. The meats are pretty basic with a nice grill taste. The sides basically close to appetizers at your local Chinese restaurant.

Hockey89

I have an 11 and 12 year old that are rather nonadventurous when it comes to eating. I understand you can request a children's menu that has more basic choices on it. Is that at buffet price or priced by the plate? Also, I'vo read where that's for 3 to 9 year olds. Does that mean they strictly enforce that age limit or will they allow us to order for our kids off of it? I'm I going to claim really large 9 and 8 year olds? We have made only a couple of reservations at places that seem fun like Whispering Springs (staying at WL) and Tusker House due to our fear of having to pay big money and the kids not eat anything.
Going to lie...Nice....

Weather_Lady

Before you consider requesting an alternate menu, do take a look at the typical 'Ohana offerings, which include a variety of simple foods (steak, chicken wings, lo mein noodles) with delicious, but not overly exotic or spicy, flavor profiles. Even a picky child should be able to find multiple items to enjoy.

Last edited:

Donald Razorduck

Original Poster
Lie?

I've got my own kind of pixie dust. There's a fine line between wrong and right and charging 30 bucks for a 10 year old is on one side and it isn't the right, I'm bringing balance to the force.

Weather_Lady

So lie... got it.

LOL - I work in the federal judiciary, and the OP's blase, "it's okay to steal if you think the price is too high" response had me chuckling. I couldn't help but imagine a criminal defendant standing up at sentencing and saying, "Yes, your Honor, I committed that felony, but you see, it's okay because I've got my own kind of pixie dust..."

Hockey89

LOL - I work in the federal judiciary, and the OP's blase, "it's okay to steal if you think the price is too high" response had me chuckling. I couldn't help but imagine a criminal defendant standing up at sentencing and saying, "Yes, your Honor, I committed that felony, but you see, it's okay because I've got my own kind of pixie dust..."
Lol... Agreed.... Because he doesn't like the price, he can lie... It's amazing what people think they are entitled too...

Bairstow

Do your kids eat Chinese food at all?
As in, the really Americanized stuff like lo-mein and sweat and sour chicken?
If so, they should be fine with Ohana.

Donald Razorduck

Original Poster
Some folks just don't have much in the way of a sense of humor or when to pick up satire like the folks that will read an Onion article and take it seriously without the first thought of questioning it.

But... 30 bucks for any children's meal in any circumstance is a bit insane. It makes the 11 bucks at the movies for popcorn and coke a bargin. But it's the reason we only have few dinners booked on resort for a 6 night stay. My kids will be perfectly happy with the Chick fil a near Animal Kingdom Lodge for the nights will stay there. We'll use that saved money for a day at Universal.

Bairstow

With a high-demand, fixed-price dining experience like Ohana, there's really no reason that children's meals should be any cheaper than adults.

Hockey89

[QUOTE="Donald Razorduck, post: 6469363, member: 100059"}

But... 30 bucks for any children's meal in any circumstance is a bit insane. It makes the 11 bucks at the movies for popcorn and coke a bargin. But it's the reason we only have few dinners booked on resort for a 6 night stay. My kids will be perfectly happy with the Chick fil a near Animal Kingdom Lodge for the nights will stay there. We'll use that saved money for a day at Universal.[/QUOTE]

You don't set the prices don.... They do... You can either not go or suck it up like a big boy and pay the 30.... But we get it...You are special so you can lie

Bugz

Ohana amazes me , I went there on my senior trip in 1978 and was amazed how good it was , I returned in 2009 and still amazing , and impressive that it still packs them in , still great , and go every year since! and all with basically 1 menu. That we love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom