AMC passes no longer accepted for any Disney movie

mf1972

Original Poster
does anyone go to an AMC theater & use passes? we get our through our local credit union, & found out this past weekend that they can't be used for any Disney movie (Pixar, lucasfilm, marvel).
although I was disappointed, I'll still go there to watch a movie put out by Disney. I can still use the passes format other movie.
not sure on the change in policy & don't want to speculate, but does it have anything to do with how much $$ Disney gets back on the ticket sales?

prberk

It looks like this is true. https://www.amcnationalsales.com/bulk/splash.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

So far it is not true for Regal's version of the same thing, their "premiere" ticket: https://corporateboxoffice.com/terms-conditions/

Would not doubt that Disney will do the same thing to Regal when their contract comes up for renewal. I think Disney has gotten to think that they can charge premium prices for everything. On the movie front it started with Star Wars, which required a four-week commitment (as opposed to normal two weeks) and a larger share of the proceeds (I think 80% versus 60% if I remember correctly, may be wrong on the numbers).

I guess this will work for them until they find a flop or the golden geese of their "franchise" films start to become barren. Sad. Businesses usually recognize the importance of their corporate partners and work together for things like this, recognizing they both benefit from cross-promotion and cooperative support. Not Disney these days, it seems.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I guess this will work for them until they find a flop or the golden geese of their "franchise" films start to become barren. Sad. Businesses usually recognize the importance of their corporate partners and work together for things like this, recognizing they both benefit from cross-promotion and cooperative support. Not Disney these days, it seems.

Most all businesses do this. I knew a guy that used to have a vending business. He would work his but off getting machines into hospitals, schools, etc. Then the local distributer would come in behind him and work a better deal with the property owner/manager. He could not compete. Same thing here. Disney is in the drivers seat with the popularity of their movie franchises and there is no end in site. They are taking advantage of it. Just like the theater owners would do if the shoe was on the other foot.

prberk

Most all businesses do this. I knew a guy that used to have a vending business. He would work his but off getting machines into hospitals, schools, etc. Then the local distributer would come in behind him and work a better deal with the property owner/manager. He could not compete. Same thing here. Disney is in the drivers seat with the popularity of their movie franchises and there is no end in site. They are taking advantage of it. Just like the theater owners would do if the shoe was on the other foot.

Popular taste is a fickle thing...

And this can come back to bite them in the butt. These tickets are useful in the same way that matinee prices are. They help people go who would otherwise not go at all. (A reduced ticket is better revenue than an empty seat.)

You may not recognize the loss of a little rain when the river is flooded from snow melt upriver... but once the flood (like the popularity of a franchise) recedes, you might notice the lack of rain a little more. But even while the river was high and you didn't really pay attention, a drought may have been happening to affect the land crops. My point is that during the good times for these franchises, Disney may not notice the incremental money they are missing from these tickets being used for another movie -- and the loss of goodwill and cross-promotion that these special tickets provide.

I am sure that they could have used a few more seats filled for "The Good Dinosaur"...

And while I understand your reference to competition for a better deal, this is NOT a better deal for the distributor and would not increase sales. It might protect margin on existing sales, but it does not promote extension of sales. It is short-sighted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom