Amazing retro Disney World t-shirts

flavious27

I believe the merchandising department/Yellow Shoes uses it (resource cafe) but I don't think they rely on it. it's very true, disney does have tons of ip to use and if they just went back and dug deep into the archives I'm sure they could find some amazing designs and artwork to reuse and or incorporate.

Then again I have seen some portfolios of designers who have interned in the marketing department as designers at WDW and let's just say that those style guides probably saved their lives because their design skills were still very much green.

well I don't think you can design for a larger audience than at wdw, 17 million people each year alone in just MK.

They have guides for a reason, and interns can learn from the experienced staff to figure out what would work at wdw.

terp79

well I don't think you can design for a larger audience than at wdw, 17 million people each year alone in just MK.

They have guides for a reason, and interns can learn from the experienced staff to figure out what would work at wdw.

True but other consumer based apparel companies such as hollister have as much traffic as the theme parks over an annual basis. The demographic that comes to the parks aren't coming to shop. That's not their first priority.

Well the guides are actually designed for outside companies who pay the big bucks to use the artwork on their consumer goods. Not to mention there are tiers to the guides themselves.

I worked for 3 years in product development and worked on a daily basis with some of the top entertainment consumer products divisions such as DreamWorks Animation, Nickelodeon, Sony Animations and Disney Consumer Products where I developed coordinated product lines for major tent pole releases as well as evergreen properties.

I have a pretty good understanding of style guides, their development, the usage, approval processes, etc. It's just really a privilege that DCP allows other divisions to pull from their library to use in other parts of the company.

Sketch105

If you go down to Trend D at Downtown Disney, there seems to be two ideas in displaying the merchandise- Trendy and hip, our outright touristy.

I, too, haven't bought merchandise from Disney in a long while except pins. I'm slightly biased because having worked in retail for so long and being on a tight budget, I've become cynical to what I'm willing to pay $24.95. The shirts are getting cheaper and flimsier, and more expensive.

The last shirt I bought was a yellow, retro Mr. Toad shirt. It wasn't in my size, and it was the last one. If they produced a 20k shirt, I'd be really happy. It's sad that on the 40th anniversary of the park, they're not even acknowledging them in much of the merchandise (except for the flimsy $5 magnet)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom