Am I The Only One....This Site Is Becoming Way To Negative

G00fyDad

I am ready to take all the arrows coming my way, but am I the only one that thinks this web site is going to negative. I know I will be called a pixie duster or something like that, but I use to find a lot of great information when planning my next trip to Walt Disney World. I am the first to admit that Disney has not put enough money into Walt Disney World over the last ten to fifteen years, but that seems to have turned around. I think there is a lot of great things going on at Walt Disney World at this time. I do agree that much more is going to have to be done at Epcot and other areas, but all is not as bad as many make it out to be.

My problem is that I have to dig though posting after posting that is just telling us the same thing over and over again, Disney bad, Universal good and Disney management only cares about the stock price. The best example of this is going to the thread on Avatar Construction that state this is for posting construction updates only but still it seems like 90 percent of the postings are how bad everything is and they should not have built it in the first place. I think there are still a few people out there saying it never will open. From what I can see from the updates posted it looks like it is going to be a great addition to Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World.

I again ask, I am the only one that feels this way!

While I love WDW and will continue to make this my "go-to" vacation for many more years to come I do see the need for more improvements. Yes, many here are negative (some more-so than others) but it is justified. For so many years Disney ignored WDW and the parks have become a shadow of what they formally were. We understand that recently Disney has started pumping money into the WDW parks, but they shouldn't have waiting so long. Disney should have been steadily putting average amounts of money into these parks instead of ignoring them and then pouring tons of money in at once. There was a time when you could walk down Mainstreet USA and not see trash piled up along the curb, trashcans near overflowing, cigarette butts on the ground, every light lit, no chipped paint, no empty pavilions (WoL I'm loking at you!), etc. That is not the case anymore. Yes, people here can be very critical of TDO, and they have every right to be that way. At first we were upset with TDO for not keeping the parks up to date, and now were are upset at what they are doing now that they have finally started to do it. You can't please us. :)

draybook

Oh please! You are so slick, you just want me to type the word "voodoo." Ugh.

I am a good Evangelical Christian girl. What you see and what you feel is *not* voodoo it is the light - the anointing. I'm blessed and you know it! Voodoo can't make you smile the way I can. And seriously, you totally need to go to church with me, like ASAP! You are so darn wicked.

LOL. Then you must be completely *blind* because I am not cheap. I am certainly not for sale. And, I'm totally allergic to cheapness! ***achoo*** I don't work for Disney, either. There is no amount of money in the world that Disney could offer for me to deal this "fan" community on a daily or even weekly basis. When you see me on this forum, I roll alone -- I don't need to pretend like I hate Disney so much and act all fake and desperate just to fit in.

I find labeling people, but especially strangers that you don't know to be intellectually lazy. Getting to know someone is genuine and it takes time and effort and forces one to think. Rather than accept that challenge, it's so much easier to just throw a nasty label on someone, so you can quickly dismiss or write off an individual(s) all together. This line of thinking is what further perpetuates hurtful stereotypes and cripples communication, understanding and growth. It is a catalyst for social ineptness.

Also, *cheap* as defined within its broader context of meaning is entirely *subjective*.

I fly First Class, my friend on the right says, "Hey Siren!" "Ugh. I hate flying back in Coach, I wish I could fly First Class like you."

"My friend on the left says, "Hey Siren, Domestic First Class is so vile, if it's not Delta One I have to use my private jet club -- I feel so bad for you."

And, then my other friend says, "Ewww, Private Jet Club? I just don't like the idea of sharing a jet with other people -- I have my own jet, otherwise I could just fly in Coach. ***Subjective.***

"What *you* find cheap, someone else is sure to deem it valuable, like wives for instance. This is especially true when your vision is blurred.

Okay so, I'm getting bored now. I've been down this long, long winding road with @wm49rs on numerous occasions, what you're saying to me is *nothing* new. @wm49rs you need to be honest and tell your brother how you had to learn the hard way.

But your truth, will not be their truth. The first time we went to Disney, my sister and I split from our parents walked right past Space Mountain and didn't even know it. I was so sure that I saw the Yeti swing, but I never knew that until years later that it was disco Yeti. I never knew about the BAH blocking the Chinese theater. It simply amazes me how little trivial things like this can ruin vacations for some people.

We missed out so many rides on our first trip and had the time of our lives. We were used to Cedar Point and Kings Island where the all of the rides are open and visible and the queues meet you right at the sidewalks. We had never seen indoor attractions prior to Disney. Anyway, after our first visit to Disney, we never went back to Cedar Point or Kings Island, it was over.

I think it's good to take a break from Disney. That said, I do hope you can squeeze in one more trip in September! I heard that September has the *best* crowd levels!

Well, September does have good crowds, in the first half. The food and drunkie convention has really started bringing in the crowds, so we're trying to get gone before they show up.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Oh please! You are so slick, you just want me to type the word "voodoo." Ugh.

I am a good Evangelical Christian girl. What you see and what you feel is *not* voodoo it is the light - the anointing. I'm blessed and you know it! Voodoo can't make you smile the way I can. And seriously, you totally need to go to church with me, like ASAP! You are so darn wicked.

LOL. Then you must be completely *blind* because I am not cheap. I am certainly not for sale. And, I'm totally allergic to cheapness! ***achoo*** I don't work for Disney, either. There is no amount of money in the world that Disney could offer for me to deal this "fan" community on a daily or even weekly basis. When you see me on this forum, I roll alone -- I don't need to pretend like I hate Disney so much and act all fake and desperate just to fit in.

I find labeling people, but especially strangers that you don't know to be intellectually lazy. Getting to know someone is genuine and it takes time and effort and forces one to think. Rather than accept that challenge, it's so much easier to just throw a nasty label on someone, so you can quickly dismiss or write off an individual(s) all together. This line of thinking is what further perpetuates hurtful stereotypes and cripples communication, understanding and growth. It is a catalyst for social ineptness.

Also, *cheap* as defined within its broader context of meaning is entirely *subjective*.

I fly First Class, my friend on the right says, "Hey Siren!" "Ugh. I hate flying back in Coach, I wish I could fly First Class like you."

"My friend on the left says, "Hey Siren, Domestic First Class is so vile, if it's not Delta One I have to use my private jet club -- I feel so bad for you."

And, then my other friend says, "Ewww, Private Jet Club? I just don't like the idea of sharing a jet with other people -- I have my own jet, otherwise I could just fly in Coach. ***Subjective.***

"What *you* find cheap, someone else is sure to deem it valuable, like wives for instance. This is especially true when your vision is blurred.

Okay so, I'm getting bored now. I've been down this long, long winding road with @wm49rs on numerous occasions, what you're saying to me is *nothing* new. @wm49rs you need to be honest and tell your brother how you had to learn the hard way.

But your truth, will not be their truth. The first time we went to Disney, my sister and I split from our parents walked right past Space Mountain and didn't even know it. I was so sure that I saw the Yeti swing, but I never knew that until years later that it was disco Yeti. I never knew about the BAH blocking the Chinese theater. It simply amazes me how little trivial things like this can ruin vacations for some people.

We missed out so many rides on our first trip and had the time of our lives. We were used to Cedar Point and Kings Island where the all of the rides are open and visible and the queues meet you right at the sidewalks. We had never seen indoor attractions prior to Disney. Anyway, after our first visit to Disney, we never went back to Cedar Point or Kings Island, it was over.

I think it's good to take a break from Disney. That said, I do hope you can squeeze in one more trip in September! I heard that September has the *best* crowd levels!
Never quite equated working for TWDC with voodoo. But I suppose certain symptoms do align....

RonnieHare

The whole dissatisfaction stems from increasing park prices, lower hours, working staff reduced, NO INVESTMENT IN THE PARKS AT ALL UNDER BOB IGER. That's the big issue.

No one is complaining about Avatar at all. There are a few people who has questioned the IP in use, but this is a forum where people discuss certain subjects. But to use the 'people complaining that Avatar is being built' is a flat out lie.

Classic tactic of making a point by finding the lowest form of argument to deflect the bigger picture - re: people complaing about Avatar.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The whole dissatisfaction stems from increasing park prices, lower hours, working staff reduced, NO INVESTMENT IN THE PARKS AT ALL UNDER BOB IGER. That's the big issue.

No one is complaining about Avatar at all. There are a few people who has questioned the IP in use, but this is a forum where people discuss certain subjects. But to use the 'people complaining that Avatar is being built' is a flat out lie.

Classic tactic of making a point by finding the lowest form of argument to deflect the bigger picture - re: people complaing about Avatar.
Do you think about what you write before you post it, Jordan? Or do you just work off screen shots from your previous accounts?

IanDLBZF

I am ready to take all the arrows coming my way, but am I the only one that thinks this web site is going to negative. I know I will be called a pixie duster or something like that, but I use to find a lot of great information when planning my next trip to Walt Disney World. I am the first to admit that Disney has not put enough money into Walt Disney World over the last ten to fifteen years, but that seems to have turned around. I think there is a lot of great things going on at Walt Disney World at this time. I do agree that much more is going to have to be done at Epcot and other areas, but all is not as bad as many make it out to be.

My problem is that I have to dig though posting after posting that is just telling us the same thing over and over again, Disney bad, Universal good and Disney management only cares about the stock price. The best example of this is going to the thread on Avatar Construction that state this is for posting construction updates only but still it seems like 90 percent of the postings are how bad everything is and they should not have built it in the first place. I think there are still a few people out there saying it never will open. From what I can see from the updates posted it looks like it is going to be a great addition to Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World.

You are not alone my friend. I feel like there are folks on this forum who act like complete idiots, not bashing anyone, and just want to complain, troll, and moan. I feel the negativity is coming from all the BS from the Spirited topics and the serious hardcore fans on the forums. I feel if people would just shut up and listen these forums would be happier, and more enjoyable.

BuddyThomas

The latest news and rumors will always be those that generate the most heated discussion by their very nature.

People don't get passionate about suggesting which day is best to eat at Boma on someone's trip, but they do get passionate about say replacing Maelstrom with Frozen. It is just the nature of the beast.

I have always allowed people to discuss things openly rather than to try and control the message. AS long as people are respectful to each other and do not violate rules they are free to express an opinion, whatever that may be.

The site has been running for nearly 20 years, and over that time there has been periods of overwhelming positivity, and overwhelming negativity. It is often a reflection of the current state of the parks at any moment in time.
This is hands down the best Disney fan site, and I appreciate the (mostly) uncensored discussions- it is awesome that threads are not blocked except in the most extreme instances.

Rubicon77

Unfortunately I believe the negativity will increase, let's face it salaries have been pretty stagnant for the past few yrs & Disney's price increases (like it or not) have outstripped inflation. The love of WDW spans the economic spectrum, & as prices increase it will squeeze out more & more of those at the lower end of the spectrum. This IS going anger some & where better to vent? Others that can still afford it may perceive a decrease in quality/value. If I went to my coworkers or friends & said "I'm really upset at Disney's prices, the Yeti doesn't work, blah, blah, blah, they would look at me like I lost my ever lovin' mind. Here people understand that passion (obsession).
Have I been negative & critical? Guilty as charged. This a result of frustration, being able to discuss it with others who share my feelings is cathartic. So for that, I'm grateful this site exists. I do, however, really appreciate hearing about everyone's experiences, especially the positive ones as it reminds me of better times & gives me hope for the future. After all we are talking about theme parks, there are people out there dealing with real life problems, so we do need to keep this in perspective.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You are not alone my friend. I feel like there are folks on this forum who act like complete idiots, not bashing anyone, and just want to complain, troll, and moan. I feel the negativity is coming from all the BS from the Spirited topics and the serious hardcore fans on the forums. I feel if people would just shut up and listen these forums would be happier, and more enjoyable.
All listen, and no talk? Goes against the point of a "discussion forum," wouldn't you say?

Phineas

You're right-there is a lot of negativity here. But it's (I think) coming from a place of love in most cases, though the residents of my ignore list have proven otherwise.

It's like when you have kids (I say this as I'm unmarried and child-free, but follow me, won't you?)-you want that kid to be the very best they can be. Their grades are slipping, but remember last year/semester when their grades were so much better? They must not be applying themselves, they surely must be slacking off. You love those little slackers so much, that it pains you to see them failing at things that they can and have succeeded at with a flair in the past. They're hanging with a wrong crowd, they dropped out of debate club and the mathletes and now hang out under the bleachers with those people after school. They're swearing more now to appear older and edgier, they're disinterested in things they used to adore. Something isn't right here. That's what it sometimes feels like with Disney, for me at least. You love them, you need them to succeed, because you know they can do it, you've seen it before.

That's no excuse really for some of the arguments you'll see among ourselves from time to time, the attacks on personal character and all that-I've fallen victim to it myself. BUT when it comes to complaints about the current state of affairs-there's some truth I think in all of that. I mean, Epcot used to be a shining example of what can be done when blending education and entertainment, with countless things to do and see. Pricing used to accurately reflect what was received by the paying customer. Closing attractions were replaced with newer ones-and to call either Epcot or MGM a ghost town would be laughable. Things have changed since then. And while it appears that the company is attempting to turn things around, our beloved first born child should have never allowed certain things to fall by the wayside the way they have.

We love Disney. We just want them to have that spark that drew us to them in the first place. And that can get frustrating from time to time. But if we didn't love Disney, these boards wouldn't be half as active. I'm sorry the negativity is getting to you. Utilize the ignore button when appropriate, explore all the different boards, not just the ones that tend to cultivate negative vibes. I think we're all good/friendly/positive people, when you get right down to it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
23dcaf72af0bbba0ecb94e118d332915.jpg

CrescentLake

I think its pretty simple actually. We're here because we are super-fans of Disney. We all love it, we've all had some sort of emotional or sentimental connection to the parks. So naturally, that makes us passionate.

Under the Iger Administration we have seen the systematic and comprehensive removal of many of the things that make Disney unique and special. We've seen small stuff (napkins now "Disney Parks" instead of Park specific, refurbs being pushed back, trash piling up, paint peeling), build into moderate stuff (shuttering of Epcot pavilions, haphazard rethemes, a half baked Fantasyland Expansion), and now its reaching its crescendo with incredible price increases, decrease in dining portions, beloved rides being rethemed poorly, etc. This especially hurts, because if any of you are like me, you thought we were turning a corner. I legitimately thought with the MK improvements, the AK work, the upcoming DHS redo, that we were turning a corner. Then, we hear of these insane cutbacks thanks to Shanghai, and to top it off, we may lose Tower of Terror.

I'll preface this rant with the fact that I love Disney. WDW is still the place that I go when I need to escape the real world, and I am beyond excited for my next vacation there.

I love Disney, heck, I'm going next week. But at some point, enough has to be enough. When do we realize that we are paying more for less? Why is the predominant opinion that I hear now in the real world (not these boards) "I'll never do Disney again. Universal is better anyway." Disney is in trouble. Maybe the attendance numbers and profits don't say that now, but these practices will not work long term.

Are there good things going on at Disney? Yeah, but they are far, far overdue, so quite frankly, its the minimum that I would expect to be done at this point. Here's the truth: MK needs at the very least another big expansion, a better nightime specatcular and an actually new nighttime parade. Epcot needs 3 top to bottom refurbishments on pavilions (and probably a new one), and a new country. DHS needs placemaking in any area not called Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd, and three new lands with at least 3 rides a piece. AK needs at least two more rides to make it actually a full day park. Almost every single resort needs comprehensive refurbishments.

And lastly, MyMagic+ has been a travesty. I know its easy to bash it, but now I have to micro-plan my vacation, and I have to do so literally the second my fast passes or dining reservations come online or I won't get even close to what I want. Where is the fun in that? My cousin is visiting Disney for the first time next week. He just got his tickets and there are very few FP+ available, and NO dining. Now, is it his fault for not planning early? Yes, possibly. But is this someone who will probably never visit again because of this experience? I can almost guarantee it. And thats the problem.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I think some of the negativity is disappointment with Disney over recent moves, regarding, less CM, less hours but raising prices or specialized services that can only be viewed as a money grab.

I'm one who is disappointed, while my vacation is coming up and I'm so excited, I still love to go, but I need to justify the expense and Disney is not cheap.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We havent seen CONUS the same neglect and decay that was part of DLP, but some are worried that its just around the bend. Quite a few things in play that most are not cognoscente of:
  • 2015 Euro Disney S.C.A financial restructuring took DIS ownership of this venture from 39.78% to 82%. It was in 2014 that the Mark Twain was in the news literally rotting at the dock.
  • Shanghai Disneyland had an investment of 2.021 billion dollars directly from DIS, and required an additional 334 million dollars in capital to complete it due to cost overruns (Chinese standards for delivery and contract obligations are not up to par with the USA or Europe) Shanghai Shendi is on the hook for the other 5 billion dollar equivalent (thats ~ 33 billion yuan at todays conversion rate of 1: 6.75)
These are dollars that cant be spent on CONUS parks. Could it be jealousy? Perhaps, its also not wanting to understand that DIS is global and capital is a finite resource in any business. Only governments can print as much money as they want, but DIS is increasing its global capital expenditures at a rapid rate.
http://csimarket.com/stocks/single_growth_rates.php?code=DIS&capx

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
One thing to keep in mind is Disney moving into Mainland China by opening Shanghai Disneyland does not only have to do with the revenue form the theme park business. Disney is planning on Disneyland to be the doorway to many other ventures in China including merchandise sells, movies, dvds, tv, etc. China could be the largest market in the world soon.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
One thing to keep in mind is Disney moving into Mainland China by opening Shanghai Disneyland does not only have to do with the revenue form the theme park business. Disney is planning on Disneyland to be the doorway to many other ventures in China including merchandise sells, movies, dvds, tv, etc. China could be the largest market in the world soon.
Huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom