Am I The Only One....This Site Is Becoming Way To Negative

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The negativity in regards to WDW is there because most of the things we love about WDW, the current regime (Iger) and management had absolutely nothing to do with. They've only reaped the benefits of what was already there by barely investing in the resort over the last several years and upcharging pretty much everything. The things they have invested in (restaurants for example) were done because they bring in additional revenue. The guest experience has vastly gone downhill because of this.

These forums can be a great place to find some excellent insider knowledge and stay informed and up to date on everything WDW, but they can also be like any other forum or internet comment section...people with no lives, hiding behind their avatars who are ready to start arguments about any little thing and jump down anyone's throat who they don't agree with.
HA!

KikoKea

Like any other Internet site, opinions vary and you have posters who try to stir up trouble or be less than respectful and nice, but those are few. For the most part, I enjoy the discussions, even if I'm not participating, and have learned a great deal here. I say pay no attention to the negatives and just keep reading. :)

World_Showcase_Lover007

The negativity in regards to WDW is there because most of the things we love about WDW, the current regime (Iger) and management had absolutely nothing to do with. They've only reaped the benefits of what was already there by barely investing in the resort over the last several years and upcharging pretty much everything. The things they have invested in (restaurants for example) were done because they bring in additional revenue. The guest experience has vastly gone downhill because of this.

These forums can be a great place to find some excellent insider knowledge and stay informed and up to date on everything WDW, but they can also be like any other forum or internet comment section...people with no lives, hiding behind their avatars who are ready to start arguments about any little thing and jump down anyone's throat who they don't agree with.

I generally agree with this, as I tend to be negative sometimes about the penny-pinching and in comparison's to WDW in the 90's, but I also want to elaborate on the last statement of this quote. One of the problems that I've seen on here from some individuals is the lack of respect for new members who simply want to come here and chat about WDW on occasion. They are often berated and belittled, which is uncalled for, and is something that I really haven't seen on other sites. While perhaps I am used to the bickering and "put-downs" that happen on this site, I could just imagine what the feeling would be for a new member wanting to sprinkle a little magic in their day when they realize what is happening.

Spending some time in the photography and trip reporting forums are a good way to replenish your pixie dust.

Exactly. Nothing but friendly people in these forums (from what I've seen), and I definitely enjoy the good nature of the people that regularly post in here.

Wikkler

It's very easy to follow the crowd and be negative. I bet if these boards were mostly positive, the negative ones would just become positive themselves. Just following the pack.
Sorry, Nick, but no, they won't. Some people will continue to bash literally everything Disney does. Just to be clear, there are many posters that have expressed disdain for some of the stupid things Disney's done and will do, including me, but it's not like we're expressing our disappointment that we're getting AVATAR instead of... uh... nothing, and Star Wars Land instead of... nothing.

Nick Wilde

Sorry, Nick, but no, they won't. Some people will continue to bash literally everything Disney does. Just to be clear, there are many posters that have expressed disdain for some of the stupid things Disney's done and will do, including me, but it's not like we're expressing our disappointment that we're getting AVATAR instead of... uh... nothing, and Star Wars Land instead of... nothing.
You'd be surprised. I've talked to an air horn who doesn't want Star Wars Land.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@DVCOwner , if I may, I'd like to kindly share a few thoughts of mine with you. You're a long-time (2008) member. I'm sure you've contributed a great deal to the success of the WDW Magic forums, and thank you. Since I joined back in 2013, my impression of the majority of members is that they are very pleasant, knowledgeable, and helpful. There's a wealth of interesting information that I've learned from these forums.

Sure, a few members engage in heated or negative discussions; but, I attribute that more to the fact that they really care about the parks, and sometimes their emotions briefly derail polite conversations. Although I agree that can be a bit much at times, I'll just switch over to reading another thread, if I'm uncomfortable with the direction a previous thread is going.

Most important to note: I am glad that this is a forum where people feel comfortable enough to express (within reason) their ideas and feelings. And, if discussions get out of hand, the moderators step in and make appropriate edits, so that the threads will remain suitable reading for all members.

Overall, I think this is a terrific forum, with far more positive energy, than negative.

Sonconato

I might be speaking for myself, a few, some or most on this thread but perhaps the hope is that somebody important at TWDC will take some of this information that "seems" to be negative and turn it into a positive as Walt Disney expected himself to do.
Disney Quote.jpg

Siren

I am ready to take all the arrows coming my way, but am I the only one that thinks this web site is going to negative. I know I will be called a pixie duster or something like that, but I use to find a lot of great information when planning my next trip to Walt Disney World. I am the first to admit that Disney has not put enough money into Walt Disney World over the last ten to fifteen years, but that seems to have turned around. I think there is a lot of great things going on at Walt Disney World at this time. I do agree that much more is going to have to be done at Epcot and other areas, but all is not as bad as many make it out to be.

My problem is that I have to dig though posting after posting that is just telling us the same thing over and over again, Disney bad, Universal good and Disney management only cares about the stock price. The best example of this is going to the thread on Avatar Construction that state this is for posting construction updates only but still it seems like 90 percent of the postings are how bad everything is and they should not have built it in the first place. I think there are still a few people out there saying it never will open. From what I can see from the updates posted it looks like it is going to be a great addition to Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World.

I again ask, I am the only one that feels this way!
Of course not, and I feel exactly the same way. And, there is no shame in expressing enthusiasm for Disney.

WDWMagic is the best Disney forum and just like Disney, this forum attracts an inordinate amount of people who are passionate about Disney.

It's essential to have balance in *healthy* discussion, so the negative people deserve to have their say, as well. So, stay positive and true to who you are. And, don't allow anyone to intimidate you or make you feel less than for doing so. They are the one's with the issue(s).

No matter what the consensus is for any topic on this forum, the Administrators here will never belittle you or make you feel ashamed for having a positive outlook toward Disney.

I just had the most amazing time at Disney and can't wait to go back!

Siren. But JordanNite too.
I never said that I did not want a Star Wars land. I said I don't want DHS to be overrun by a single IP -- I find the practice to be risky due to a high probability of market saturation, not because "I don't like Star Wars." It doesn't matter if it is Star Wars or Avatar or whatever. Way to miss the point..

Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Wow!!! I can't believe what I'm reading. Well played, Disney -- you have totally silenced me, for now. But seriously, the concept art is breathtakingly beautiful. I would love for Disney to announce an ambitious but realistic timeline as soon as possible. They just need to be upfront and honest about it, so fans know what to expect. It would help to lessen the whining and also spare us some of the annoying speculation and conspiracy theories. Dealing with the awful Avatarland rumors was more than enough. Anyway, I cannot wait for Star Wars land!
This is my opinion of Star Wars Land.

'The Force' of Star Wars will trump 'Frozen Frenzy' on 09/04/2015
This is a thread that I created to celebrate and get everyone hyped up to buy Star Wars merchandise. OMG, we all had so much fun in that thread! And, I purchased a BB-8 that day!

Also, the date for this years Force Friday is September 30, 2016! So, get ready!!!

And finally, Star Wars: The Force Awakens comes out in two weeks on April 5th, 2016 for only $20 bucks! The digital version is available April 1st -- four days early on Amazon.com.

Okay, I wish I could post more right now but time does not allow -- there are more pressing matters that I need to tend to -- so, time for a much needed sabbatical.

Oh, and @Pumbas Nakasak -- I will be sure to get back to you first upon my return. Maybe. LOL.

Last edited:

Filby61

The negativity in regards to WDW is there because most of the things we love about WDW, the current regime (Iger) and management had absolutely nothing to do with. They've only reaped the benefits of what was already there by barely investing in the resort over the last several years and upcharging pretty much everything. The things they have invested in (restaurants for example) were done because they bring in additional revenue. The guest experience has vastly gone downhill because of this....

Longtime lurker and new member here. Have to say that I couldn't agree more with ElvisMickey.

My feeling is that the criticism directed at Disney management by this site is nearly always well deserved. I definitely can understand it being difficult for fans who want to enjoy the company's works without getting dragged into the workings of the company. But for me, as a longtime fan, I can no longer make that separation: I've experienced the Parks too many times in better years, and have learned too much about what goes on inside the company. The sad truth is that Disney is a hard, cold corporation that trades on and profits from the works, traditions and spirit of its famous founder, while having none of those values itself.

Last edited:

Siren

Longtime lurker and new member here. Have to say that I couldn't agree more with ElvisMickey.

My feeling is that the criticism directed at Disney management by this site is nearly always well deserved. I definitely can understand it being difficult for fans who want to enjoy the company's works without getting dragged into the workings of the company. But for me, as a longtime fan, I can no longer make that separation: I've experienced the Parks too many times in better years, and have learned too much about what goes on inside the company. The sad truth is that Disney is a hard, cold corporation that trades on and profits from the works, traditions and spirit of its famous founder, while having none of those values itself.
Welcome to the forums. Awww, your post is so sad. I'm sure you have amassed countless wonderful memories at Disney. So, if you can still hold fast to those precious Disney moments while also embracing the new Disney stuff -- you will open up yourself to a whole new realm of Disney experiences and endless possibilities!

It's all in the mindset, as *nothing* remains the same. I know Disney is different and former shell of itself or so I've been told. Repeatedly. But, different doesn't necessarily have to mean a bad or lesser than experience.

The undercurrent of your comments suggests that you are not happy with the rising costs associated with Disney. And, I agree no one wants to pay more but *everything* is more expensive now. It's just not Disney.

The bigger question is how can people from other countries flock over here to Disney World in droves and outnumber American park visitors 3 - 1. Why are the middle and upper middle classes in other countries rapidly outpacing the U.S. in terms of growth -- while our middle class is steadily diminishing.

As far as Disney being cold -- I can't disagree with you. Disney has done some embarrassing things in recent years that was shameful. And, I do believe they hurt their brand with those actions. Disney will have to pay for what they've done, either by bad publicity or money or both. With that said, mostly all corporations today that are subject to investors operate within this same vein. Disgusting but it is what it is.

Take for instance, the auto industry where every single car manufacturer has at one point recalled a vehicle for some kind of defective part. Are you demanding that we all revert back to horse & carriage? Of course, not. That would be silly. The same thing applies Disney.

Let's just say, Disney lowered the price to affordable Chuck E Cheese prices. And, the parks became overran with crime, lots of fighting and filth everywhere, you would then complain about prices being too low. We can't have it both ways.

Today's Disney brings new technological advances to the theme parks, as well as, several new options and experiences. The old Disney
didn't offer anywhere near as much as we have today. And, a lot of people had to stay off site at seedy motels and rip off timeshares, if the Contemporary and Polynesian were sold out.

Today, we can four (well technically, three) spectacularly themed amusement parks instead of only two. There are hotel accommodations for every size and budget and DVC, too. New experiences are being constantly added, like Disney Springs, Rivers of Light, Avatarland, Toy Story Land and Star Wars land. Not to mention, the new Soarin Around The World, a new Star Wars fireworks show and new dining experiences opening all over the resort.

OMG, it's such an amazing time to be a theme park fan right now. Seriously, don't miss out on all of this -- by sulking and only reminiscing about the past. If you refuse to make the separation between Walt Disney the man and Disney the corporation, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and you only have yourself to blame. It is a choice. It's time to let go of that and allow yourself to have fun again.

I can understand the desire but I'm really not that into anyone opinions other than my own as they tend to be inconsequential in the large scheme of things. Especially those that are for sale.
Hmmm.... your post seems to suggest otherwise. If my opinion is so "inconsequential" then why are you bothering me with this hasty response? *Especially* after I told you I am on a sabbatical -- this can totally wait until I get back.

The only thing I can think of, is that you must be super anxious and excited about your upcoming Disney vacation! And, woo hoo! You have every reason to be excited just like everyone else going to Disney World.

Whenever I book my Disney vacation, mayhem suddenly ensues and I totally can't sleep because I'm constantly planning and changing stuff and on the computer all night. And then there's the shopping! There is just no way that I can do more than one trip a year. No way.

Ugh, and my opinions are *not* for sale -- no one could afford me. Seriously. Please don't listen to @wm49rs -- you sound *exactly* like him -- except you're way more funnier and meaner, too. You're a really good writer though.

@wm49rs is just not funny at all *but* he has become so much nicer on the forums since engaging with me in various discussions. I have that effect on people. Anyway, I've come to realize that having haters is just a necessary evil. So, if I have to have haters I at least want them to be brilliant and ingenious, in some way.

You two bad *** Brits totally fit the bill. @wm49rs is fiercely loyal and will never turn down an opportunity to hate on me and you appear to be just like him. Wow, it seems like I have just hit the hater jackpot. So, I guess I will keep you both around. See @wm49rs -- this is how you turn a negative into a positive. I'm going to make your negative energy work for me in a positive way, yet *again*. And, remember your petty insults don't phase me.

Anyway, if I don't return before you leave - enjoy your trip to Disney World! Happy Easter! Cheers! And, whatever. LOL.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Welcome to the forums. Awww, your post is so sad. I'm sure you have amassed countless wonderful memories at Disney. So, if you can still hold fast to those precious Disney moments while also embracing the new Disney stuff -- you will open up yourself to a whole new realm of Disney experiences and endless possibilities!

It's all in the mindset, as *nothing* remains the same. I know Disney is different and former shell of itself or so I've been told. Repeatedly. But, different doesn't necessarily have to mean a bad or lesser than experience.

The undercurrent of your comments suggests that you are not happy with the rising costs associated with Disney. And, I agree no one wants to pay more but *everything* is more expensive now. It's just not Disney.

The bigger question is how can people from other countries flock over here to Disney World in droves and outnumber American park visitors 3 - 1. Why are the middle and upper middle classes in other countries rapidly outpacing the U.S. in terms of growth -- while our middle class is steadily diminishing.

As far as Disney being cold -- I can't disagree with you. Disney has done some embarrassing things in recent years that was shameful. And, I do believe they hurt their brand with those actions. Disney will have to pay for what they've done, either by bad publicity or money or both. With that said, mostly all corporations today that are subject to investors operate within this same vein. Disgusting but it is what it is.

Take for instance, the auto industry where every single car manufacturer has at one point recalled a vehicle for some kind of defective part. Are you demanding that we all revert back to horse & carriage? Of course, not. That would be silly. The same thing applies Disney.

Let's just say, Disney lowered the price to affordable Chuck E Cheese prices. And, the parks became overran with crime, lots of fighting and filth everywhere, you would then complain about prices being too low. We can't have it both ways.

Today's Disney brings new technological advances to the theme parks, as well as, several new options and experiences. The old Disney
didn't offer anywhere near as much as we have today. And, a lot of people had to stay off site at seedy motels and rip off timeshares, if the Contemporary and Polynesian were sold out.

Today, we can four (well technically, three) spectacularly themed amusement parks instead of only two. There are hotel accommodations for every size and budget and DVC, too. New experiences are being constantly added, like Disney Springs, Rivers of Light, Avatarland, Toy Story Land and Star Wars land. Not to mention, the new Soarin Around The World, a new Star Wars fireworks show and new dining experiences opening all over the resort.

OMG, it's such an amazing time to be a theme park fan right now. Seriously, don't miss out on all of this -- by sulking and only reminiscing about the past. If you refuse to make the separation between Walt Disney the man and Disney the corporation, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and you only have yourself to blame. It is a choice. It's time to let go of that and allow yourself to have fun again.

Hmmm.... your post seems to suggest otherwise. If my opinion is so "inconsequential" then why are you bothering me with this hasty response? *Especially* after I told you I am on a sabbatical -- this can totally wait until I get back.

The only thing I can think of, is that you must be super anxious and excited about your upcoming Disney vacation! And, woo hoo! You have every reason to be excited just like everyone else going to Disney World.

Whenever I book my Disney vacation, mayhem suddenly ensues and I totally can't sleep because I'm constantly planning and changing stuff and on the computer all night. And then there's the shopping! There is just no way that I can do more than one trip a year. No way.

Ugh, and my opinions are *not* for sale -- no one could afford me. Seriously. Please don't listen to @wm49rs -- you sound *exactly* like him -- except you're way more funnier and meaner, too. You're a really good writer though.

@wm49rs is just not funny at all *but* he has become so much nicer on the forums since engaging with me in various discussions. I have that effect on people. Anyway, I've come to realize that having haters is just a necessary evil. So, if I have to have haters I at least want them to be brilliant and ingenious, in some way.

You two bad *** Brits totally fit the bill. @wm49rs is fiercely loyal and will never turn down an opportunity to hate on me and you appear to be just like him. Wow, it seems like I have just hit the hater jackpot. So, I guess I will keep you both around. See @wm49rs -- this is how you turn a negative into a positive. I'm going to make your negative energy work for me in a positive way, yet *again*. And, remember your petty insults don't phase me.

Anyway, if I don't return before you leave - enjoy your trip to Disney World! Happy Easter! Cheers! And, whatever. LOL.
You seem to be confusing hatred with honesty. But, I understand your not wanting to admit who your employer is. Kudos on getting the OT in these lean times though.....

Siren

You seem to be confusing hatred with honesty. But, I understand your not wanting to admit who your employer is. Kudos on getting the OT in these lean times though.....
I want you to have a Happy Easter, too. I wish you could see my new Easter dress and shoes and handbag. I haven't picked out my earrings and jewelry, yet though. I will tell you all about it when I return from my sabbatical.

Also, try not to hate on anyone from Good Friday (which is this Friday) through Easter Sunday. I will be so proud of you, if you can do this. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful Easter holiday! Cheers!

And Disney, you need to do more to celebrate Easter. There is barely anything special going on this weekend at Disney World and that's quite unfortunate. Way to lose money, Disney.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I want you to have a Happy Easter, too. I wish you could see my new Easter dress and shoes and handbag. I haven't picked out my earrings and jewelry, yet though. I will tell you all about it when I return from my sabbatical.

Also, try not to hate on anyone from Good Friday (which is this Friday) through Easter Sunday. I will be so proud of you, if you can do this. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful Easter holiday! Cheers!

And Disney, you need to do more to celebrate Easter. There is barely anything special going on this weekend at Disney World and that's quite unfortunate. Way to lose money, Disney.
Not even a denial. Well, keep doing that voodoo you do and all that....

draybook

I'll straight up tell you that I'm harsh on Disney. It's a harshness born out of love. Honestly, there's nowhere I'd rather go to vacation, but that's changing. I try to call things how I see them and right now the value for your dollars just isn't there, in my opinion.

We've already discussed this at home and we've decided not to renew our APs and this September, should we go, will be our last trip for a few years. I'd hate to be the reason that someone decides not to give WDW a try, but I'd rather tell them the truth about things than have them going expecting one thing and getting another.

Maybe when the Star Wars and Toy Story areas are finished and the mad cash grab is over we will return and see how it looks.

Siren

Not even a denial. Well, keep doing that voodoo you do and all that....
Oh please! You are so slick, you just want me to type the word "voodoo." Ugh.

I am a good Evangelical Christian girl. What you see and what you feel is *not* voodoo it is the light - the anointing. I'm blessed and you know it! Voodoo can't make you smile the way I can. And seriously, you totally need to go to church with me, like ASAP! You are so darn wicked.

Trust me, I recognise cheap when I see it, its not that different from keech.
LOL. Then you must be completely *blind* because I am not cheap. I am certainly not for sale. And, I'm totally allergic to cheapness! ***achoo*** I don't work for Disney, either. There is no amount of money in the world that Disney could offer for me to deal this "fan" community on a daily or even weekly basis. When you see me on this forum, I roll alone -- I don't need to pretend like I hate Disney so much and act all fake and desperate just to fit in.

I find labeling people, but especially strangers that you don't know to be intellectually lazy. Getting to know someone is genuine and it takes time and effort and forces one to think. Rather than accept that challenge, it's so much easier to just throw a nasty label on someone, so you can quickly dismiss or write off an individual(s) all together. This line of thinking is what further perpetuates hurtful stereotypes and cripples communication, understanding and growth. It is a catalyst for social ineptness.

Also, *cheap* as defined within its broader context of meaning is entirely *subjective*.

I fly First Class, my friend on the right says, "Hey Siren!" "Ugh. I hate flying back in Coach, I wish I could fly First Class like you."

"My friend on the left says, "Hey Siren, Domestic First Class is so vile, if it's not Delta One I have to use my private jet club -- I feel so bad for you."

And, then my other friend says, "Ewww, Private Jet Club? I just don't like the idea of sharing a jet with other people -- I have my own jet, otherwise I could just fly in Coach. ***Subjective.***

"What *you* find cheap, someone else is sure to deem it valuable, like wives for instance. This is especially true when your vision is blurred.

Okay so, I'm getting bored now. I've been down this long, long winding road with @wm49rs on numerous occasions, what you're saying to me is *nothing* new. @wm49rs you need to be honest and tell your brother how you had to learn the hard way.

I'll straight up tell you that I'm harsh on Disney. It's a harshness born out of love. Honestly, there's nowhere I'd rather go to vacation, but that's changing. I try to call things how I see them and right now the value for your dollars just isn't there, in my opinion.

We've already discussed this at home and we've decided not to renew our APs and this September, should we go, will be our last trip for a few years. I'd hate to be the reason that someone decides not to give WDW a try, but I'd rather tell them the truth about things than have them going expecting one thing and getting another.

Maybe when the Star Wars and Toy Story areas are finished and the mad cash grab is over we will return and see how it looks.
But your truth, will not be their truth. The first time we went to Disney, my sister and I split from our parents walked right past Space Mountain and didn't even know it. I was so sure that I saw the Yeti swing, but I never knew that until years later that it was disco Yeti. I never knew about the BAH blocking the Chinese theater. It simply amazes me how little trivial things like this can ruin vacations for some people.

We missed out so many rides on our first trip and had the time of our lives. We were used to Cedar Point and Kings Island where the all of the rides are open and visible and the queues meet you right at the sidewalks. We had never seen indoor attractions prior to Disney. Anyway, after our first visit to Disney, we never went back to Cedar Point or Kings Island, it was over.

I think it's good to take a break from Disney. That said, I do hope you can squeeze in one more trip in September! I heard that September has the *best* crowd levels!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom