Am I The Only One....This Site Is Becoming Way To Negative

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
I am ready to take all the arrows coming my way, but am I the only one that thinks this web site is going to negative. I know I will be called a pixie duster or something like that, but I use to find a lot of great information when planning my next trip to Walt Disney World. I am the first to admit that Disney has not put enough money into Walt Disney World over the last ten to fifteen years, but that seems to have turned around. I think there is a lot of great things going on at Walt Disney World at this time. I do agree that much more is going to have to be done at Epcot and other areas, but all is not as bad as many make it out to be.

My problem is that I have to dig though posting after posting that is just telling us the same thing over and over again, Disney bad, Universal good and Disney management only cares about the stock price. The best example of this is going to the thread on Avatar Construction that state this is for posting construction updates only but still it seems like 90 percent of the postings are how bad everything is and they should not have built it in the first place. I think there are still a few people out there saying it never will open. From what I can see from the updates posted it looks like it is going to be a great addition to Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World.

I again ask, I am the only one that feels this way!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You get a whole spectrum of news and opinion from the good to the bad. Often the truth hurts though.

You'll also get quite a few of.... junior members.... jumping on various bandwagons. Avland a case in point (but I'm steering clear of the budget issues)

wsmith1978

I agree. Although I think there is some truth to a lot of the complaints being made, it's a bit excessive and it seems every thread (sooner or later) becomes polluted with them. For instance, if I have to read one more whiny gripe about the lack of trees in the castle hub, I think I'll scream. I'm just here for the news, really. I try not to get too caught up in the discussions because, honestly, lots of negative things have been pointed out that I most likely would not have noticed on my own. As a relatively new fan of the park, I almost prefer when I was blissfully unaware of the changes that were taking place. Now, when I go, I kick myself for looking at the park through WDWMagic-tinted glasses, scrutinizing everything instead of just enjoying my vacation as much as possible. LOL

Last edited:

DManRightHere

I agree with you, but Avatar does seem like a weird addition to the resort (the whole thing just felt like a weak recourse to Harry Potter). But it may be brilliant when the next movies release.

ElvisMickey

The negativity in regards to WDW is there because most of the things we love about WDW, the current regime (Iger) and management had absolutely nothing to do with. They've only reaped the benefits of what was already there by barely investing in the resort over the last several years and upcharging pretty much everything. The things they have invested in (restaurants for example) were done because they bring in additional revenue. The guest experience has vastly gone downhill because of this.

These forums can be a great place to find some excellent insider knowledge and stay informed and up to date on everything WDW, but they can also be like any other forum or internet comment section...people with no lives, hiding behind their avatars who are ready to start arguments about any little thing and jump down anyone's throat who they don't agree with.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
There are alternative message boards if you don't like this one.

It is not that I want a different board to be on, I always have relied on this web site for news when planning trips to Walt Disney World. Maybe that is what we need, one area that would be for news and events and get the comments (good and bad) into a discussion area for those that want it.

I have a great memory from a trip to Walt Disney World. We where there one month before a new ride was to open. Someone posted on this web site that Disney would be doing testing on the new ride on one of the days I was going to be in the park. It even stated where to stand if you wanted to be part of the test. Ten people from my group went to this spot and stood there about fifteen minutes before the time that was in the posting. A cast member came up right away and asked what we where doing standing there. We told him what we where doing and he informed us that no testing was on going that day. We just waited until there anyway for the till posted on the thread to see if anything would happened. While just when the clock got to the time stated on the thread, a construction wall opened up and a cast member asked my group if we would like to test the new ride. We did the ride, had a great time and all because information on this web site. That is one of my great WDWMagic memories.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am ready to take all the arrows coming my way, but am I the only one that thinks this web site is going to negative. I know I will be called a pixie duster or something like that, but I use to find a lot of great information when planning my next trip to Walt Disney World. I am the first to admit that Disney has not put enough money into Walt Disney World over the last ten to fifteen years, but that seems to have turned around. I think there is a lot of great things going on at Walt Disney World at this time. I do agree that much more is going to have to be done at Epcot and other areas, but all is not as bad as many make it out to be.

My problem is that I have to dig though posting after posting that is just telling us the same thing over and over again, Disney bad, Universal good and Disney management only cares about the stock price. The best example of this is going to the thread on Avatar Construction that state this is for posting construction updates only but still it seems like 90 percent of the postings are how bad everything is and they should not have built it in the first place. I think there are still a few people out there saying it never will open. From what I can see from the updates posted it looks like it is going to be a great addition to Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World.

I again ask, I am the only one that feels this way!
I think it is important to not paint the entire site with the same brush. Different parts of the site have different views, and different ways of expressing things.

1. The main site at www.wdwmagic.com - I just report the facts, and it can be interpreted as negative or positive depending on your viewpoint.

2. The threads in News and Rumors on the forums - the hard core fans tend to post most often here, and you will see that passion in a lot of the posts. Just like with anyone who follows sports, some of the biggest fans can also be the biggest critics.

3. The threads on the rest of the forums - areas such as trip planning, restaurants, resorts, photography, running - all tend to be relatively positive.

Animaniac93-98

Maybe that is what we need, one area that would be for news and events and get the comments (good and bad) into a discussion area for those that want it.

The site is already set up like that. There's a news page (link always at the top), and a news and rumors forum (aka discussion area).

If you want to filter out comments you view as negative, you can use the "ignore" feature, which can always be temporarily suspended by clicking on "show ignored content" at the bottom of the thread page.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
The site is already set up like that. There's a news page (link always at the top), and a news and rumors forum (aka discussion area).

I agree with you on the news page up front, but that does not always give the insider information that I am talking about. I would like to see a News and Rumor Forum that would discuss News and Rumor and not what everyone sees as a way to argue over the good and the bad. Can there not be one thread to discuss news and rumors about each project without the comments about Disney management that only cares about the stock price?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree with you on the news page up front, but that does not always give the insider information that I am talking about. I would like to see a News and Rumor Forum that would discuss News and Rumor and not what everyone sees as a way to argue over the good and the bad. Can there not be one thread to discuss news and rumors about each project without the comments about Disney management that only cares about the stock price?
The latest news and rumors will always be those that generate the most heated discussion by their very nature.

People don't get passionate about suggesting which day is best to eat at Boma on someone's trip, but they do get passionate about say replacing Maelstrom with Frozen. It is just the nature of the beast.

I have always allowed people to discuss things openly rather than to try and control the message. AS long as people are respectful to each other and do not violate rules they are free to express an opinion, whatever that may be.

The site has been running for nearly 20 years, and over that time there has been periods of overwhelming positivity, and overwhelming negativity. It is often a reflection of the current state of the parks at any moment in time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom