Alternatives to becoming the family pack mule?

DiSnEyF@n

My family ( = myself, DH + 4 DDs, ages 8, 6, 4, 4)
will be first-timers in September. Having some concerns about what we (read: I) should carry in our park bags? Have read lots (and LOTS) of great suggestions, but now my list is GINORMOUS- feels like I won't last more than an hr at a park before the pack mule thing gets old! Now, even the littlest ones are used to trekking around with their mini backpacks, so I'm considering having the kids carry their own water pouches (see pic) and light snack (we're talking small ziploc of goldfish, or such like), and/or whatever is most important in their lives at the moment we leave our resort (eg, tiara/wand/lip balm/book/sock lint/etc.)

Anyone else do this? Or have other ideas, screts, tips, must-haves, or absolute no-no's? If it helps to narrow down ideas, we have park hoppers for every day of our stay, and absolutely plan on starting early, taking a midday break back the resort, and then heading out in the evenings.

Thanks so much!
View attachment 50180View attachment 50180

I just love this post!!! First of all when we went (for the first time) with my stepkids - DD6 & DS8 at the time- 2008, I carried EVERYTHING in a shoulder bag... What a mistake and my shoulders paid for it... My bag was super heavy (it didn't help that I had an old school camcorder lol). The next time we went (in 2010) I told them if they wanted to bring something to the parks they would need to either carry it or bring a small backpack - They also carried their own ponchos, too. I was NOT going to carry all their stuff again. This year when we go we will have our newest addition - our 6 month old baby girl (plus the kids will be DD12 & DS15) ... I can't wait to be able to not carry anything and put it all under her in the stroller basket lol.

Basically, I love the idea of making the kids responsible for their things. - Esp when you have 4 kids... You'd be carrying a lot of stuff :)

Lastly, I would love to know where you found that Minnie Mouse water bottle???? Thanks so much!

PARichards

Original Poster
The water "pouch" was a totally random Walmart find. It was on a display right next to the other kids' water bottles. They only had 1 Minnie, 1 princesses, and 1 Cars themed left :( I am now on the hunt for more so they can each have the same thing, or else I'm returning the ones I have, because I am NOT dealing with the fighting.

I just love this post!!! First of all when we went (for the first time) with my stepkids - DD6 & DS8 at the time- 2008, I carried EVERYTHING in a shoulder bag... What a mistake and my shoulders paid for it... My bag was super heavy (it didn't help that I had an old school camcorder lol). The next time we went (in 2010) I told them if they wanted to bring something to the parks they would need to either carry it or bring a small backpack - They also carried their own ponchos, too. I was NOT going to carry all their stuff again. This year when we go we will have our newest addition - our 6 month old baby girl (plus the kids will be DD12 & DS15) ... I can't wait to be able to not carry anything and put it all under her in the stroller basket lol.

Basically, I love the idea of making the kids responsible for their things. - Esp when you have 4 kids... You'd be carrying a lot of stuff :)

Thanks for the feedback! My biggest issue with the carryingofallthethings, is exactly that- carrying things for me and 1, maybe 2 kids? Fine. But 4? Fuggetaboutit. I warned them they'll be expected to carry their own things this spring/summer at the zoo, museum, hiking, pool. So, they'll have lots of practice and time to decided what it is they really want/can carry with them :D

PARichards

Original Poster

Lastly, I would love to know where you found that Minnie Mouse water bottle???? Thanks so much!

Breaking: found those water bottle/pouch things at my Dollar Tree (Cincinnati) today- Minnie, Disney Princesses, Jake&Pirates themes. Loads. Also on the display were larger (parent-sized) ones in a variety of colors. As well as those fan mister things, and Disney-themed glow-in-the-dark shtuff. It was like someone was saying: SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE TODAY!!! (So, I did, duh.)

DiSnEyF@n

Breaking: found those water bottle/pouch things at my Dollar Tree (Cincinnati) today- Minnie, Disney Princesses, Jake&Pirates themes. Loads. Also on the display were larger (parent-sized) ones in a variety of colors. As well as those fan mister things, and Disney-themed glow-in-the-dark shtuff. It was like someone was saying: SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE TODAY!!! (So, I did, duh.)

I am going to Dollar Tree this week then!!! Thanks so much!!! You're very thoughtful :)

PARichards

Original Poster
This is now an old thread, but I'm feeling pretty proud of myself and thought to share here, as no one else (DH) at home cares and the kids won't know about this til we get to the parks.

47daysandcounting...

Kids' park bags: check. Inside them, a minifan from the dollar store, rain poncho, miniM&M containers turned into pressed penny change holders, a retractable tip large Sharpie with which to have their bags signed by character(s) of choice. Still considering adding a light long-sleeved shirt for longish attractions/meals spent in AC (my kids are the kind to whinetonoend in the milk aisle midsummer while sporting their tank top things). That is all.

1406049784584.jpg

NYwdwfan

No- no wallet, no I'd. No room key! Just freedom! Make sure you put a credit card down for charging and when you check in you'll create a pin and you use that for all your purchases on property!

That sounds amazing!

You are right, you shouldn't need a credit card and ID. However, I am paranoid and always carried them - in case the magicband stopped working. I wanted to be sure I avoided being in a situation where I wanted to buy/eat something and my band wouldn't work. They are tiny and weigh nothing - it was worth the peace of mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom