Alternatives to becoming the family pack mule?

PARichards

Original Poster
My family ( = myself, DH + 4 DDs, ages 8, 6, 4, 4)
will be first-timers in September. Having some concerns about what we (read: I) should carry in our park bags? Have read lots (and LOTS) of great suggestions, but now my list is GINORMOUS- feels like I won't last more than an hr at a park before the pack mule thing gets old! Now, even the littlest ones are used to trekking around with their mini backpacks, so I'm considering having the kids carry their own water pouches (see pic) and light snack (we're talking small ziploc of goldfish, or such like), and/or whatever is most important in their lives at the moment we leave our resort (eg, tiara/wand/lip balm/book/sock lint/etc.)

Anyone else do this? Or have other ideas, screts, tips, must-haves, or absolute no-no's? If it helps to narrow down ideas, we have park hoppers for every day of our stay, and absolutely plan on starting early, taking a midday break back the resort, and then heading out in the evenings.

Thanks so much!
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

When we went with kids ages 31/2, 5 and 8, I gave each kid a nylon drawstring backpack with snacks and a water bottle. I had a backpack with important things. I also had an XML ziplock bag with stuff that I had tons of stuff that wanted with us but didn't care if it disappeared....wipes, hand sanitizer, extra sunscreen, a crappy extra shirt that any kid could wear if they spilled on their shirt and couldn't wear it, etc.....hung it on the umbrella stroller and never carried it....my bag was for wallet, camera, sunscreen
Are you bringing a stroller? It's a great place to hang the clear bag....I figured when people could see it was filled with crap they may be less likely to take it
And I also wrote our last name in large letters across the sun visor of the stroller as well as on the ziplock bag

HouCuseChickie

My girls are currently 5.5 and 7.5...they've been going to WDW since they were 2 and 4. While I think being a bit of a pack rat is somewhat inevitable, I've definitely worked on editing what we bring with us into the parks.

For starters, I don't even bother having the kids carry anything. Obviously, every kid is different, but I just don't want to depend on the kids (at least at these ages) to be in charge of anything vital. So, I carry a backpack for day hikes...one with lots of nice compartments...but small enough to not feel like a total pack horse.

In my backpack...my camera gear, DD7's allergy meds for her food allergies, sunscreen, small first aid kit, ponchos, phone, wallet, hats, and sometimes bottles of water. I used to carry light changes of clothing for the girls, but found that minus one very unfortunate morning on the girls' very first trip (I spilled soda and then OJ all over DD5 during breakfast :oops:)- we just never needed it = waste of space. I "MAY" pack a warmer or lighter change of clothes if we're going at a time when temps really vary or even a ultra light smock for each girl if I want their outfits to make it through meals, but that's not an every day thing. I have carried wipes and hand sanitizer in the past, but I find myself never using them- so I've pretty much eliminated those from our bag as well. At night- I may stock my bag with glow stuff since I don't like paying the high costs for glow stuff from in park vendors, but again- that's not an all the time thing. I did bring snacks on our first visit or two with the kids, but these days, they seem to be OK waiting a little bit longer so they can have Disney treats (much more fun than mom treats! ;)).

allidog1

I personally don't have kids, but was brought up going to disney and having to carry my own stuff around the parks in a pack at the age of 4, with my parents only caring the essentials. It taught made life easier on my parents (they never became a pack mule) and taught responsibility. Also if you forget something, since you are planning a mid day break, you just go to the hotel and get it; and you can exchange items you need at that point.

lazyboy97o

I would even question things like the water bottles. Cups of water are free and there are water fountains. You're already going to have to go to these places to refill the water bottle. The need to slow down, get the water and drink it from the cup may also provide needed pauses.

Since your planning to have a rest in your room, things that would only be used about once could probably be left behind. Can you wait to reapply sunscreen until you are back at the room? Same with a change of clothes or outerwear.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
When I was done with the diaper bag I was done being the pack mule. Now keep in mind this diaper bagless me was the late 90's so don't hate on my cure. I bought them all a fannie pack. Unlike a string backpack they couldn't easily take it off and loose it. I loved my new found freedom back then.

Weather_Lady

We carry very little in the parks. (Then again, we go back to our room after lunch for naps/swimming, so we're generally not in the parks for more than 4-5 hours at a time.)

I have a small crossbody purse with our camera, my phone, my sunglasses (if they're not on my head), a small "First Aid" baggie with a couple of Band-aids, blister pads, a couple of Tylenol and a tiny tube of ointment, a second baggie with a few disinfectant wipes (for cleaning our hands on the go), an extra credit card and health insurance card (and when we had KTTW cards, those too), and if it looks like rain, a couple of 2-packs of Dollar Store ponchos. My DH uses his cargo shorts pockets (or a small backpack) for his rescue inhaler and epipen (asthma/allergies), his phone and his sunglasses (or the kids').

That's it. We don't carry drinks (they're heavy, and why bother when we can get free ice water anywhere on request?) and if we really have to have a snack (generally in the late afternoon, something cold) we buy it in the park. We apply sunblock before we leave the hotel room, and don't reapply until later in the day when we've returned there for naps, so we don't have to bring it with us. The kids are potty-trained and we can use the ponchos if we decide to go on Kali River Rapids or something, so there's no need for extra clothing. (If it's in the evening and we expect it to get chilly, we just tie our hoodie sweatshirts around our waists before heading out in the afternoon.) If the kids want to bring their autograph books to meet a character, they're responsible to carry them themselves (or sweet-talk their Dad into taking the little backpack along). Otherwise, they bring nothing -- no bags or toys to lose or forget. It's not like the parks leave them wanting for stimulation. ;)

Every family's "must-haves" are different, which is why you see many HUGE lists of what people take to the parks with them. We like to pare it down to just the essentials, and enjoy the relative freedom of "laying down our burdens" while on vacation. :) Others, on the other hand, feel more secure when they have enough supplies on their person to cover any eventuality. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Last edited:

PARichards

Original Poster
Great- water bottles are out, then. (Cross off list now... check!) I'm gonna be taking the girls to our zoo this summer for the first time sans stroller. It will be hot and humid, add tons of walking and crowds, and we'll see what they end up carrying, or not. When we go to the zoo, we're there by 9am, trek all morning with an on-the-go breakfast, and break for "lunch" (and by lunch, we might be talking popcorn on the train) around 1pm. That might be good practice for the ones that NEED to carry something...

Now, a relative has offered to make white canvas mini backpacks or messenger bags for the kids to have in lieu of autograph books? Wouldn't have ever occurred to me, but then again, I don't want to end up carrying 4 extra bags on my person later in the mornings or nights if I can help it- thoughts?

I really appreciate all the feedback!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
A most magical welcome! If you're using a stroller try and bring one with storage underneath. When my little guy was 5 we took the stroller and the backpack rode the entire trip and we didn't have to carry it at all.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
When the kids were younger, yes, I'd have them bring their own backpacks to carry a bottle of gatorade/water and whatever else they wanted such as snack, autograph book, poncho, camera.

For me, I usually bring 1 bottle of water with me and refill as needed just cuz I sip a lot. I also bring a small snack so I don't get jittery in line for a ride. Meds are pretty easy to get from First Aid so I don't carry much if any (maybe a band aid or 2, couple green pills, couple alleve since FA doesn't usually have that), baby wipes, germy stuff since I like my hands to smell clean [weird, I know], ID & DisneyVisa, maybe $20 cash, trader pins, and a poncho, only if it looks like rain. I stopped bringing my point&shoot as I end up taking pics with my phone anyways

If you do decide to bring a pack, remember to trim it down in the evenings. No need to bring hat, sunglasses, sunscreen at night, maps/times guide unless needed, shopping receipts for stuff you bought earlier, remove the coins/change as that's heavy.

PARichards

Original Poster
The Great Stroller Debate is now underway... And may not be resolved til we pull off our driveway ;) Possibly my best friend ever, is our baby jogger city mini double, but, not gonna lie, was it AH-mazing to go to the zoo without it for the first time a couple of weeks back?! So much YES! Now, granted, it was a VERY short visit to pick up our passes for the year, so the little ones' endurance was not tested... I'll have a better idea of how far and long they can travel without them or me having a meltdown, by late June. DH is a fan of packing light. I'm a fan of not carrying two 4yr olds in heat/humidity if I can help it- and I'm not above covertly asking my MiL to take it for us (they're driving down in a Mazda CX9 with just the two of them, to which I say SHENANIGANS!!!).

Do I really have to carry my ID/wallet around, now that the Magic Bands are a thing?

amy1985

Are you renting a car? We always rent ( if you don't, I highly recommend it- it will save you so much time). We went in march with our one year old and left sweatshirts in the car and only took two diapers, a pack of wipes, our son's hat and sunscreen and that was it- plus since it was in the bottom of the stiller and easily seen, we were able to go through the no bags line- also a huge timesaver. My first time as an adult I thought I would need a ton of stuff with me in the park- now as a family of three we bring two small carry-ons to get us through a week! Also, on the rental car- you can go to a grocery store or walmart down there and buy a 24 pack of water and some snacks for your room and not have to worry about packing food.

amy1985

The Great Stroller Debate is now underway... And may not be resolved til we pull off our driveway ;) Possibly my best friend ever, is our baby jogger city mini double, but, not gonna lie, was it AH-mazing to go to the zoo without it for the first time a couple of weeks back?! So much YES! Now, granted, it was a VERY short visit to pick up our passes for the year, so the little ones' endurance was not tested... I'll have a better idea of how far and long they can travel without them or me having a meltdown, by late June. DH is a fan of packing light. I'm a fan of not carrying two 4yr olds in heat/humidity if I can help it- and I'm not above covertly asking my MiL to take it for us (they're driving down in a Mazda CX9 with just the two of them, to which I say SHENANIGANS!!!).

Do I really have to carry my ID/wallet around, now that the Magic Bands are a thing?
No- no wallet, no I'd. No room key! Just freedom! Make sure you put a credit card down for charging and when you check in you'll create a pin and you use that for all your purchases on property!

Weather_Lady

Whether you need a stroller depends on the kids' stamina, how long you plan to stay in the parks and how late you'll stay at night, how much you plan to carry, the pace you want to go, and your patience with loading/folding/unfolding/parking/finding said stroller.

We brought our daughter and son for the first time when they were 4 and 6, and neither needed nor took a stroller. We started taking regular after-dinner walks with the kids (30 minutes or more) a few weeks before WDW to "train" ourselves for WDW. While we were at WDW, we kept the same wake-up/bedtimes that they had at home, and even though they don't nap at home anymore, all four of us went back to the hotel for a 2-hour nap every afternoon. As a result, the kids didn't tire out or melt down, and never asked to be carried.

On the other hand, both of our kids are tall for their ages, athletically-built, excitable, happy-go-lucky and hyperactive (they often remind me of Golden Retriever puppies, trapped inside human bodies), so YMMV! Still, we felt very blessed not to have to take a stroller with us, as in our case it would have felt like a piece of unwieldy baggage rather than something that was actually helping us. Again, YMMV!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
My kids were 2 and 4 when we went last. I had a change of clothes for each of them. 4 diapers and a small package of wipes a few snacks (granola bars) 2 - 20 oz water bottles, camera and cell phone. We took one back pack that DH and I would take turns carrying. We also had a stroller. Since you are doing naps you don't need to bring sunblock apply each time you leave the hotel. You only need to pack for half the day so only pack what you need you can go back later.

Figaro928

Bring the stroller! If they conk out you're not only going to be a pack mule, but an actual mule lugging two sleeping toddler around!!!

We did WDW with 3yo and 18 month who NEVER go in the stroller. Their endurance was great, they both walked/ran all of MK no problems. We cursed lugging around the double stroller -- until they crashed. then it was a God-send !!

Since we didn't used they stroller until needed, we would park it in one section of the park - ie fantastyland - with our back pack of snacks; diapers and other pack mule stuff (Valuables went with me in my small pouch) - and did all of that land stroller and backpack free. We would then grab the stroller and on to the next land. That system really worked for us

Happy Planning!!

MOXOMUMD

You can always rent a locker and when you happen to be in that area if the park, refill orn unload your bag. We do this for MNSSHP so we don't have to carry our candy and coats all evening.

Disvillain63

We to our GS (17 mos) with us a few weeks ago. The diaper bag/changing pad I found at Babies R Us was great. It held 3 diapers, the wipes, a pack of tissue, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. It wasn't any larger than my purse (about 9" x 11" and maybe 1.5" deep). I was able to slide my tablet into the pouch too. That was all we took to the park(s), beside the bottle of water DH and I had in our water straps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom