Almost 180 days out! Need help nailing down a few details.

ThwompChomp

Hello all!

My mom is retiring at the end of the school year, so she and I are heading down to Orlando after Thanksgiving to check out WWoHP and WDW. This will be her first trip there, and my second, though I was there for only one day a decade ago. I'm having a great time planning on details of the trip, and want her to have an amazing time, since this will most likely be her only trip there.

Here's what I've got so far:

Lodging - I rented points to spend six nights at Old Key West, December 1-6. I think we'll also rent a car down there since we'll be at WWoHP for the two days prior to WDW. No plans to get a dining package right now, though we do want to visit some nice restaurants.

Tickets - Six-day Magic Your Way tickets for each of us. No real interest in the water parks, and I figure we'll have enough time to spend there that we won't need to do any park hopping.

Schedule - Here's where I'm still uncertain about a few things. I'm thinking we'll do two days each at Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and one day each at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. My rough draft:

Day 1
  • Magic Kingdom
  • This is a party night, so we'll make dinner plans out of the park. I'm going to try to get Ohana reservations, but if I can't for that night, I'll try for Boma instead and see if we can get Ohana later in the trip.
  • I'm on the fence about trying to get Be Our Guest reservations for lunch. I think two big meals in one day would be overkill for my mom.
Days 2-5
  • Mix two days at Epcot, one at Animal Kingdom, and one at Hollywood Studios.
  • At Epcot, I'd like to do the Candlelight Processional, and maybe Behind the Seeds.
  • For Hollywood Studios, I'm thinking about spending the morning checking out Disney Springs, and heading to the park in the afternoon. That way we could still see Fantasmic in the evening.
Day 6
  • Magic Kingdom / undecided
  • Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I know people have mixed opinions on whether or not it's worth it, but I kind of want to close the park out on our last night there!
Out of the parks:
  • Some time at Disney Springs. Like I said above, probably in the morning before Hollywood Studios.
  • We also want to go see La Nouba, so we'll have to cut a night short somewhere. Probably one of our Epcot days. I'm going to try and get Raglan Road reservations for after the show.
A few little questions I could use everyone's expert advice on:
  • I know the party ticket will get us into MK at 4, so I'm wondering if we should go somewhere else for the morning. Is it worth doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour on your first visit? Or should that be saved for after you've spent more time at the parks and need something new to see? What do people think of the Marcelline to Magic tour?
  • Is the Fantasmic dining package worth it? It sounds like there's not a lot of good food options in that park, so perhaps we could eat a big, late lunch and then hit up Fantasmic.
I appreciate any input y'all can provide! I really want to make this a magical trip for my mom.

JIMINYCR

What a great way to start out a retirement. Your plans sound great.
I'd still try getting a BOG lunch, its worth it because youd get to see the decorated rooms and inside theming of the castle. It is an ADR that can be difficult to get. Since its your first visit I'd suggest spending the entire day in MK, there will be enough for you to explore and including the MVMCP later.
Fantasmic is a nice show... the dining package will get you in avoiding the waiting crowds , the seating area it reserves you isnt that much better, doesnt give you that much of a better sight of the show, but it is reserved for you, so I think the package is worth it. You have to eat so why not skip the long waiting lines? Illuminations show at EP is even better!!!!
My first visit I might say dont do the keys tour. Theres enough for you to do since its your first trip. Save your money and do it another time.
Candlelight procession and MVMCP... yes both are worth doing. They will really make your Dec trip memorable. The CP dining package is the way to go. It is a popular show and reserving it gives you a better chance for seating.
LaNouba... a GREAT show thats full of fun and amazing feats of strength, acrobatics and comedy. Try to reserve the center stage seating area. We go every trip, it never gets old. Raglan Road is a good place to eat, and you get some fabulous entertainment as well. Check out their web site to see whats going to be available for your time slot.
Everything is decorated for Christmas so wander through the resorts too to see their specific decorations. Grand Floridian has a gingerbread house you shouldnt miss.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Sounds like fun! We try to have MK as our last park, too- be sure to stay for the Kiss Goodnight, which is about 30 min after closing. (Not sure if they have it after a party, though. Seems like we waited but there was not one) We let the crowd rush out, then get ice cream or a snack and sit and watch the castle or walk up close. There's be only a few people around and is a nice, magical end to your visit. In your free time, I would suggest you visit a few of the resorts to check out their Christmas decorations. AKL has a lovely tree and the Grand Floridian gingerbread house is not to be missed.

MVMCP is fun and I would encourage you to go. You can enter the park at 4pm, so could spend the morning at another park or DS. I honestly cannot see spending a whole day at HS, so I think your idea of DS or resort hopping before HS is a good idea. You can get FPs for the afternoon and be ready to hit the main attractions on arrival.

You may or may not find your car more convenient than using the buses, but do take your mom on the Epcot monorail at least once, preferably at dusk, if you can.

Upvote 0

Noellikechristmas

I'm kind of a nerd and try using the crowd predictors and that also sets a better itinerary in place for picking restaurants based on what park you'll be in that day. That also helps when you go to make fast pass reservations...you'll already know what park you'll be visiting.

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

How fun! You sound like me... I have a 10 page spreadsheet (no joke) for our upcoming trip in December. It's a sickness... I know...

Some comments/suggestions:

- BOMA is an AWESOME buffet! We have done it twice in the last 3 visits
- Keys to the Kingdom is a VERY good tour. I used to work in the safety department of a major amusement park in the Midwest and really enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff. That being said, I too would recommend not doing it on your first trip. It is time consuming and will take away from exploring the park.
- MVMCP is a hoot! Our last 3 trips to Disney have been right after Thanksgiving, as will this year's... and we have done the MVMCP every year. We will be doing it again this year.
- Be Our Guest: DO IT! The lunch meal is very good and smaller than the dinner. This is a unique restaurant as for Breakfast and Lunch it is quick service (that feels like table service), but switches to full table service for Dinner. I believe BOG is the only QS location that takes lunch reservations. BE ADVISED: BOG is the hardest restaurant on the property to get reservations for. I started trying to get a reservation at 7am of the morning of our 180 day out and barely got a dinner reservation on the last full day of our 8 day trip. Ugh...
- Fantasmic Dinner Package: As previously stated, seating isn't really any better but it is reserved so you don't have to get in line early for a show. We have done it and enjoyed it. We would probably do it again if more TS dining options were available. But we try to do different meals each year and I believe you only have 2 options for the dinner package

Since this is your first ever trip to the property some additional suggestions:

FASTPASS - Learn it. Live it. Love it. Every park has their attraction that is just ridiculously popular. Example - Midway Mania at Hollywood Studios. I have never seen a line for that thing shorter than 90 minutes. Do some research on the boards to see which attractions are popular and use your FastPasses wisely. Dining reservations are made 180 days out, but FastPass reservations are 60 or 90 days, so you have some time.
TIME - Allow plenty of time for each park. There is lots to see and do, and it will take you longer than you think.
HAVE A PLAN - You have a good start, but keep the big picture in mind each day. Plan any FastPass reservations around your dining plans. Nothing will wear you out faster than crisscrossing back and forth across the parks trying to make your reservations! Due to the crowds it takes longer to walk through the parks than you would expect. It can be exhausting dodging scooters and strollers when you are in a hurry... lol. I'll be 50 this year and while I am in excellent shape, my mom is 70. So we minimize the walking where we can.
DATA - If you are smart phone savy, make a file on your home computer with all your trip information on it - resort confirmation numbers, dinner reservation numbers, event confirmation numbers, etc. and have it on your phone. Better to have it and not need it...

I could go on and on... but I think you get the idea... lol! ENJOY YOUR TRIP! We took my fiance for her first time since she was 9 years old a few years back and for that week, she was transformed into a little girl again. The Disney Magic knows no age limit... so in a way I envy you!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Is the Fantasmic dining package worth it?
YES - We did it on the DP and ate at Mama Melrose - very nice place with good food
It sounds like there's not a lot of good food options in that park,
No, there's not - see above
so perhaps we could eat a big, late lunch and then hit up Fantasmic.
An option certainly, However - Large breakfast, snack lunch and Table Serve dinner is our preferred way to eat at Disney

Upvote 0

ThwompChomp

Original Poster
Thanks for the great feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it and it's definitely helped clarify some things for me. Today is my 180-day mark, so I got up early and got as many of the reservations I could that I wanted to. Now that the schedule is falling into place, here's what I've got booked at the moment:

Thursday, Dec 1
  • Magic Kingdom (party night, not attending)
  • Dinner at Boma at 7:25
Friday, Dec 2
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Dinner at Boma at 6:25*
Saturday, Dec 3
  • Epcot
  • Dinner at Raglan Road at 6:30
  • La Nouba at 9
Sunday, Dec 4
  • Breakfast at Olivia's Cafe at 8:45
  • Disney Springs in the morning
  • Fantasmic dining package (not booked) and Hollywood Studios in the afternoon / evening. Hoping to get a late lunch or early dinner time since we're eating a proper breakfast this day.
Monday, Dec 5
  • Epcot
  • Lunch at Biergarten at 1:40
Tuesday, Dec 6
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Lunch at Be Our Guest at 1:10
  • MVMCP in the evening
Wednesday, Dec 7
  • Check-out day :(
  • Breakfast at Kona Cafe at 9:10
* I have the two Boma reservations because I was really hoping to get Ohana for one of those two days, but couldn't. I submitted a search request with Touring Plans, and am still hopeful something will turn up! I should probably go ahead and switch one to another restaurant; does anyone have any recommendations for an out-of-park option? Sanaa came to mind, but it sounds like they might be too similar to want to do them two nights in a row.

It seems to be the consensus that Keys to the Kingdom would be best left for a later visit to the park, so we'll skip it this go-around. My mom has grandchildren through my sister, so I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it back to WDW in a few years.

The Fantasmic dining packages don't seem to be open for December yet. Is it normal for them to release later on? I'll keep an eye on the page and try to book as soon as I can. I want to get the Mama Melrose option! I'm also not seeing anything available regarding the Candlelight Processional package, but I'm guessing it'll show up on the site eventually.

Thanks again for the help, all! This is one weight off my shoulders, now to start thinking about FastPasses :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

* I have the two Boma reservations because I was really hoping to get Ohana for one of those two days, but couldn't. I submitted a search request with Touring Plans, and am still hopeful something will turn up! I should probably go ahead and switch one to another restaurant; does anyone have any recommendations for an out-of-park option? Sanaa came to mind, but it sounds like they might be too similar to want to do them two nights in a row.

We are doing Sanaa for the first time this trip so I can't really comment on if it is too similar to Boma. I would not get too discouraged just yet with reservations. People change their minds or their plans over the next 6 months... so check back occasionally and see if a reservation opens up at Ohana. We have a couple 'extra' reservations we keep in case something we want to do doesn't become available. We can always cancel them at a later date if we don't need them.

The Fantasmic dining packages don't seem to be open for December yet. Is it normal for them to release later on? I'll keep an eye on the page and try to book as soon as I can. I want to get the Mama Melrose option! I'm also not seeing anything available regarding the Candlelight Processional package, but I'm guessing it'll show up on the site eventually.

Did you call the dining reservations phone number? We had this problem with the Wishes Fireworks Dessert party (late NOV/early DEC) not showing up online. They were able to make a reservation for us. When we did the Fantasmic Dining Package we ate at Mama Melrose as well. We enjoyed it! Wish they had more restaurant options so we could do it again.

Good luck! You are going to love it!

Oh... and you are going to love the WWoHP... both areas are wonderfully themed! We enjoyed our time there tremendously.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

The Sanaa is one of our favorites. The decor is nice and the windows looking out onto the animal park is fun- last time there were animals at the window looking in at the diners. :) Sanaa is TS, not a buffet, but the food and choices are very good. Try the bread sampler, for sure! Maybe you could do Boma one night and Sanaa on the other, if you are trying to stay with AKL for both nights.

Upvote 0

ThwompChomp

Original Poster
Did you call the dining reservations phone number? We had this problem with the Wishes Fireworks Dessert party (late NOV/early DEC) not showing up online. They were able to make a reservation for us. When we did the Fantasmic Dining Package we ate at Mama Melrose as well. We enjoyed it! Wish they had more restaurant options so we could do it again.

Thanks for the tip about giving them a call; I'll do that tomorrow if they're open, and on Monday if they're not. I'll be sure to ask about the Candlelight Processional, too. Luckily I've already got the Biergarten reservation, so hopefully turning that into the CP dining package won't be too difficult.

The Sanaa is one of our favorites. The decor is nice and the windows looking out onto the animal park is fun- last time there were animals at the window looking in at the diners. :) Sanaa is TS, not a buffet, but the food and choices are very good. Try the bread sampler, for sure! Maybe you could do Boma one night and Sanaa on the other, if you are trying to stay with AKL for both nights.

My mom and I are both bread fiends, so I'm definitely drawn to that! I'm going to poke around the restaurant options some more, and if nothing jumps out at me I'll try and get Sanaa for the other night. I'm prepared to drop it in case the Ohana reservation comes through, though.

Originally when I was putting our plans together, I wanted to do Magic Kingdom on the first day, just for the wow factor she would get from walking into the park for the first time. I've changed my mind on that, though, since if we were to go do the park only on party days we wouldn't get to see the Electrical Parade. That was one of the highlights for me the one day I was there ten years ago, so I don't want her to have to miss it! After switching a couple reservations around, here's what I've got set up now:

Thursday, Dec 1
  • Epcot
  • Dinner at Raglan Road at 6:15
  • La Nouba at 9:00
Friday, Dec 2
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Dinner at Boma at 6:25
Saturday, Dec 3
  • Magic Kingdom (non-party night)
  • No lunch/dinner booked, but will choose something soon.
Sunday, Dec 4
  • Breakfast at Olivia's Cafe at 8:45
  • Disney Springs in the morning
  • Fantasmic dining package (not booked) and Hollywood Studios in the afternoon / evening. Hoping to get a late lunch or early dinner time since we're eating a proper breakfast this day.
Monday, Dec 5
  • Epcot
  • Lunch at Biergarten at 1:40
  • Candlelight Processional package (not booked), if available
Tuesday, Dec 6
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Lunch at Be Our Guest at 1:10
  • MVMCP in the evening
Wednesday, Dec 7
  • Check-out day :(
  • Breakfast at Kona Cafe at 9:10
I think I feel comfortable enough with this schedule that I can go ahead and book my tickets for La Nouba and MVMCP.

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

Very cool! You will not regret the amount of effort you are putting in now... when the magic day comes all you will have to do is show up!

We will have 3 overlapping days... you might see me - I'll be the one with the big smile on my face all day! :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom