1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Alleged changes to Pirates?

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by mharrington, Jun 24, 2017.

1. HatboxGhostbuster

HatboxGhostbuster Well-Known Member

"In the 1997 refurbishment, the "Pooped Pirate" was recast as the "Gluttonous Pirate", a rogue in search of food. The woman hiding in the barrel was replaced by a cat.

At the Magic Kingdom, the chase scene was altered to show the pirates making off with various treasure as the formerly "chased" women attempt to thwart them or to show pirates chasing women for food. The "Pooped Pirate" here holds a treasure map in his lap and a magnifying glass in one hand. The woman in the barrel remains, although this time she is hiding a small treasure chest in the barrel with her. Previously, the entire scene was pirates chasing women. At the time, these changes had not been made at Disneyland Paris.[9]

In Jason Surrell's book Pirates of the Caribbean: From The Magic Kingdom to the Movies, showwriter Francis Xavier "X" Atencio referred to these "softening" touches as "Boy Scouts of the Caribbean"

Clearly, Jim Crow slaves would cause an issue.

Let me ask you this...does your mom no longer ride Pirates out of disgust? Or if she does ride, does she close her eyes during that scene or look away? Or does she just sit quietly and let the moment pass?

2. Professortango1

Professortango1 Well-Known Member

Well, my mom had passed away. But when she did ride it, she still enjoyed the ride. But the scene always took her out of it for a moment. Just because people took displeasure in something, doesn't mean it needs to be hyperbolized to make it seem like a problematic scene shouldn't be touched unless it causes people to have intense negative reactions.

3. mickEblu

mickEblu Well-Known Member

I agree. Most people don't notice, care or are indifferent towards the scene. Disney is just being proactive before the ultra PC social media onslaught begins.

Kram Sacul and HatboxGhostbuster like this.
  4. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, but given the limitations and the context, I don't think there's a whole lot more they could do without giving the show a major reworking. How would you have done it?

On the other hand maybe giving her a gun doesn't make her more like a man, but just a person who knows how to handle a firearm.

Ellen Ripley likes this.
  5. HatboxGhostbuster

Ah. Sorry to hear that.

But goon on hear for continuing to ride and enjoy the attraction.
    I guess we'll never come to full agreement here, so I'll just say that I think this is a silly move, and one that will probably take me out of the "magic" as it were, cause I'll just be shouting "We wants the redhead!" over whatever new scene they play.

Also, I do admit that if this ride were conceived of today, this scene would probably not make the final cut. Pirates would probably not carry as many guns for that matter.

6. mickEblu

Not Constance But since they want to give her a gun it's much more clever if She stole the gun. Or my suggestion earlier. Make her his GF and have her assist him with the auctioning.

7. mickEblu

SHY-RATES OF THE CARRIBEAN Set sail on an adventurous voyage with some naughty shy-rates who disobey the law sometimes, tell white lies and drink a little too much on week nights.

8. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

It's unlikely that any of this has much to do with millions of complaints from guests. Remember as a global business Disney has established policies around diversity and inclusion in the workplace and these changes align the attraction with those core values.

9. HatboxGhostbuster

lol. So where are the gay pirates???

10. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

[​IMG]

11. mickEblu

Lol

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  12. HatboxGhostbuster

You win Comment of the Year!

13. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

I'm telling you people aren't content today unless they have something to be enraged about. But when you stop and think about it for more than one second, you see lots of reasons why you shouldn't be enraged at all. Everything is being altered and people are forced to change because heaven forbid you might upset someone. And I know this is just a theme park ride, but it's just one more example. You can't view history accurately anymore because it's not all favorable and could potentially offend a small portion of the entire world.

14. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

I'm offended by your failure to take offense.

15. HatboxGhostbuster

Ain't that the truth!

Also, I'm pretty sure there's one thing we can ALL be happy about...and that's the fact that Pirates didn't receive a Christmas overlay.

16. Curious Constance

Honestly, I wouldn't have changed it. Again, I realize this is a theme park ride, but I think it's more offensive to portray a historical context of women that wasn't the norm.

17. Curious Constance

You know, now that I think about it, I don't know that I've ever seen a straight guy with as smooth of a chest as he's got!

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  18. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

It's becoming increasingly difficult to admit to liking things such as this scene with the women being auctioned and not be vilified. Everyone's so sensitive about everything now. On that note, the gay jokes in this thread originating from stereotypes are pretty offensive.

19. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

But it wasn't the norm for a woman to willingly flirt with with pirates who are ransacking her village and who is up for sale at an auction either. That gag, which has no basis in historical fact, is gross.

20. Curious Constance

I don't know, I wouldn't mind being auctioned off to Johnny Depp. :joyfull: