All Star vs Pop Century vs Art of Animation for One Night

Tay

Original Poster
My friend has a last minute business trip in Toronto. It'll cost him $600 extra to fly straight from where we live to there versus driving to Orlando and taking a flight from Orlando, so he's just going to take a relaxing day in Orlando. He wants to do a lot of shopping check out Disney Springs and for the rest of the night do some Disney resort activities. He doesn't want to break the bank for a room for one night and these are the cheapest WDW hotels. Any suggestions? Any discount rates available for those hotels? He's going on 8/5/16.

AmandaP

I'd say Pop Century. Art of Animation has mostly family suites and the smaller rooms are located at the far end of the property. I say POP as its the next nicest and they have the best food court for when he's back at the hotel.

Tay

Original Poster
I'd say Pop Century. Art of Animation has mostly family suites and the smaller rooms are located at the far end of the property. I say POP as its the next nicest and they have the best food court for when he's back at the hotel.
Thank you so much. Is early check in available? If so can he leave his bags there if his room isn't ready.

AmandaP

Thank you so much. Is early check in available? If so can he leave his bags there if his room isn't ready.
Absolutely. We've done early check in at 6am, left our bags at bell services and headed off for breakfast and to the parks. They'll text you when your room is ready and you just give Bell services a ring when you get to your room. They'll bring them right up for you. Sometimes they want you there to sign for them, but we've had our bags waiting in room on at least two recent occasions that I recall.

belledream

Would also recommend Pop for your friend. It's across a lovely bridge and lake's walk to AoA, so if he wants some leisurely time at the resort, he could definitely enjoy a walk around there.

It doesn't look like there are any room-only discounts going on at that time. But, for ~$50 more, he could potentially stay at a moderate resort like POR which is in the Disney Springs district, putting him right at the heart of shopping and activities. Something to think about.

slappy magoo

If your friend were to stay at Art of Animation and didn't opt to pay more for a suite, he'd be in a room themed after The Little Mermaid.

I don't consider myself all that paranoid about my manly manliness but if I were a grown man traveling solo and sleeping in a Little Mermaid room, I'd feel compelled to report myself to the authorities when I got home. You know they'll be looking for a pit for captives in my basement when I got home anyway. Maybe some lotion for the skin or else it gets the hose again.

But of course any of the other rooms at AoA will be significantly more expensive.

So I'd probably go with Pop.

Actually, I'd probably see if I could afford a moderate at the same time (preferably one of the Port Orleans resorts - your friend said he's planning to spend some time at Disney Springs and this will give him boat access to the area, a fun ride). Either that or maybe get a room at one of the Disney Springs hotels. He'll be within walking distance to the Springs, save a lot of dough...maybe not as themed as an actual Disney resort proper, but hey, it'll give him reason to spend more time at the Springs. Buena Vista Palace is a Hilton owned resort, right now at Travelocity he can book a room with an Epcot view (great for viewing the fireworks, supposedly), for $150. I'm pretty sure self-parking is free. They have a buffet breakfast for an extra $25, or if he goes to Buena Vista Palace's website he might get a better deal that includes breakfast, or a better room rate if he's a AAA member.

EDIT: I should add, the main pool at Buena Vista Palace is being refurbished. I don't know how much of a deal breaker that would be for your friend, if he was planning to swim before his one night in Orlando. There are also other Disney Springs hotels with great views, though, and again, might be about the same as a night in a Value room, but walking distance to Disney Springs, more on-site dining options (especially if he was planning on eating breakfast before checkout), etc.

Last edited:

Tay

Original Poster
Thank you all. I think he wants to spend the extra cash on a better hotel. He really wants to relax in a pool. How late can you check out? He found a really cheap flight late in the afternoon. He wants to leave the hotel at 1 or 1:30.

22YrsDVC

Thank you all. I think he wants to spend the extra cash on a better hotel. He really wants to relax in a pool. How late can you check out? He found a really cheap flight late in the afternoon. He wants to leave the hotel at 1 or 1:30.
If it's a Disney property, 11:00 AM on the dot. And the Mousekeeping will start banging on the door by 9:00am to hurry you along.

slappy magoo

If it's a Disney property, 11:00 AM on the dot. And the Mousekeeping will start banging on the door by 9:00am to hurry you along.

But even with the 11am check out, bell services will hold his bags until he's ready to leave. And there's a possibility (though not a guarantee) they'll allow him a late check out at 12 or 1. A lot of that will depend on hotel management, how many rooms are being turned over that day for new guests, etc.

Tay

Original Poster
But even with the 11am check out, bell services will hold his bags until he's ready to leave. And there's a possibility (though not a guarantee) they'll allow him a late check out at 12 or 1. A lot of that will depend on hotel management, how many rooms are being turned over that day for new guests, etc.
He really just wants someone to keep his bags. He's trying to do both outlets , both malls, Old Town/Fun Spot, Disney Springs, Nike Clearance store, City Walk and a few hours in the pool. He's very difficult lol.

His flight is at 7 so he should be to the airport at least at 5:30. I really don't know how to help him plan all of this. I was thinking:Both Outlets, Pool, Old Town/FunSpot, City Walk first night then Both malls, Nike Store, Disney Springs, get bags then head to the airport.

slappy magoo

Not to be scary but I've been reading some horror stories about getting through TSA at Orlando. He might need to afford himself more time than 90 minutes unless he's pre screening or something.

21stamps

He really just wants someone to keep his bags. He's trying to do both outlets , both malls, Old Town/Fun Spot, Disney Springs, Nike Clearance store, City Walk and a few hours in the pool. He's very difficult lol.

His flight is at 7 so he should be to the airport at least at 5:30. I really don't know how to help him plan all of this. I was thinking:Both Outlets, Pool, Old Town/FunSpot, City Walk first night then Both malls, Nike Store, Disney Springs, get bags then head to the airport.
Is there a reason he has to stay at a Disney resort? If he doesn't need the transportation for the parks, there are much nicer hotels in the area!

Minthorne

I always understood you could use all resort amenities on check out day until midnight and Bell Services would hold your bags.

slappy magoo

I think that's way too ambitious. Especially the 2nd day, considering the malls/stores might not even open until 10. It'll be like trying to hit all the big attractions in the parks with a park hopper in one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom