All in the Details: Glittering Gems Light Up Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Queue

LostPrincessKarleigh

I don't know. I think the interactive game looks pretty fun. :) I wish they had done something more like the crabs sorting game over at Little Mermaid. However, that has some bugs too. Will just have to wait and see it in person.:D

MerlinTheGoat

Enough with the iPad-quality computer games...actually, Candy Crush Saga looks BETTER than this.

Gems look nice, though. Nothing ground breaking, but pretty nonetheless.
I agree on both accounts. Though regardless of the game's quality, putting in an iPad-looking screen based game clashes horribly with the theming of this ride in particular (Pooh's screens in its queue are very similar and also look pretty bad, we're probably getting something similar here).

I'm actually glad that Disney has decided to can these interactive elements for future queue enhancements if this was what we should expect from future efforts. Especially for rides like this where it clashes horribly. Good theming is always a welcome attraction for queues, but they've been doing that for quite a long time now. Even if the surrounding scenery around it is themed properly, just slapping a flat and obvious TV screen in the middle (especially for ride like this) looks incredibly out of place and inappropriate.

Agreed. I don't think we can tell from the one shot.
We don't have to wait to know that a video screen in such a manner is thematically inappropriate and doesn't look right. From this picture it looks almost exactly like what they did with the honey screens in Pooh's queue (which also look out of place and poorly done overall).

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I agree on both accounts. Though regardless of the game's quality, putting in an iPad-looking screen based game clashes horribly with the theming of this ride in particular (Pooh's screens in its queue are very similar and also look pretty bad, we're probably getting something similar here).

I'm actually glad that Disney has decided to can these interactive elements for future queue enhancements if this was what we should expect from future efforts. Especially for rides like this where it clashes horribly. Good theming is fine for queues, and they've been doing that for quite a long time now. But just slapping a video screen in the queue for a ride like this looks incredibly out of place.

We don't have to wait to know that a video screen in such a manner is thematically inappropriate and doesn't look right. From this picture it looks almost exactly like the honey screens in Pooh's queue (which also look out of place and poorly done overall).
Agreed. While we cannot speak to the fun factor of the game, we can tell how well it will fit in. I would argue not well as this is an inappropriate choice for this franchise. Disney used to have an idea for something cool and then look for the tech to make it work (or invent it). Now it seems they invent the tech and then retrofit it into the parks, sometimes inappropriately.

I would argue that, by and large, Disney needs to stop making video games. With few exceptions, they are not and never have been good at this.

MerlinTheGoat

Agreed. While we cannot speak to the fun factor of the game, we can tell how well it will fit in. I would argue not well as this is an inappropriate choice for this franchise. Disney used to have an idea for something cool and then look for the tech to make it work (or invent it). Now it seems they invent the tech and then retrofit it into the parks, sometimes inappropriately.

I would argue that, by and large, Disney needs to stop making video games. With few exceptions, they are not and never have been good at this.
I pretty much agree, at least in regards to what Disney themselves have attempted in-house. And regarding REAL video games (not this phone drivel, rather games for systems like Nintendo and such) technically I wouldn't even say i can think of ANY good games that Disney themselves have made personally. Largely because there really haven't been many of those in the first place.

There have absolutely been some excellent games based on Disney franchises to be sure (particularly during the 80's and 90's), but Disney back then had the sense to hand their development off to a different company who already were video game developers knew what they were doing. Examples include Sega, Capcom, Virgin, Square(soft/Enix) and others. They were some of the more famous and good examples of companies that did some great Disney based video games (again Disney had little to nothing to do with their quality of gameplay, they just provided the franchises to use).

Mouse_Trap

I don't get putting these interactive queues in...such the concept sounded a good idea. But what do you do when you want to try them but the line is constantly moving? Leave people go past?

Captain Chaos

I don't get putting these interactive queues in...such the concept sounded a good idea. But what do you do when you want to try them but the line is constantly moving? Leave people go past?
I either point out they have to move or I walk by... if I point out they need to move up and they don't, then I do... Snooze you loose... Had ti happen last year in the Winnie the Pooh queue... kid was playing with the touch screens, line moved... I tapped the dad on the shoulder to move, but the kid didn't want to, so they let us in front... I want to be polite first, but heck sometimes you just gotta go for the throat LOL...

TheRabbit

I either point out they have to move or I walk by... if I point out they need to move up and they don't, then I do... Snooze you loose... Had ti happen last year in the Winnie the Pooh queue... kid was playing with the touch screens, line moved... I tapped the dad on the shoulder to move, but the kid didn't want to, so they let us in front... I want to be polite first, but heck sometimes you just gotta go for the throat LOL...
Wow! Your nicer than me, I just walk by and keep up with the line. I figure if you want to play with the germ pad then your not in a big hurry to ride the ride.

Captain Chaos

Wow! Your nicer than me, I just walk by and keep up with the line. I figure if you want to play with the germ pad then your not in a big hurry to ride the ride.
I should have added in, depends on my mood and who is in front... Family with children, I'll try to be nice... Grown adults? yea I'm cutting...

dreamscometrue

I don't think any interactive queues are necessary, but I am surprised how they sometimes are well utilized. When I used an FP+ to go on Space Mountain last month, I was (pleasantly) surprised how many people were playing-and seemingly enjoying-the games in the standby queue. This is not sarcasm. I expected lots of people just to be on their phones, but the games were all being completely utilized.

rioriz

If Im not mistaken I thought the IQ in this attraction was in a separate holding room such as Dumbo so people can go in, play and explore, while people that don't want to can skip right by

Eärendil

I pretty much agree, at least in regards to what Disney themselves have attempted in-house. And regarding REAL video games (not this phone drivel, rather games for systems like Nintendo and such) technically I wouldn't even say i can think of ANY good games that Disney themselves have made personally. Largely because there really haven't been many of those in the first place.

There have absolutely been some excellent games based on Disney franchises to be sure (particularly during the 80's and 90's), but Disney back then had the sense to hand their development off to a different company who already were video game developers knew what they were doing. Examples include Sega, Capcom, Virgin, Square(soft/Enix) and others. They were some of the more famous and good examples of companies that did some great Disney based video games (again Disney had little to nothing to do with their quality of gameplay, they just provided the franchises to use).

The first Epic Mickey was pretty good if you could get past the camera issues, and Disney Infinity has been pretty cool.

Captain Chaos

I don't think any interactive queues are necessary, but I am surprised how they sometimes are well utilized. When I used an FP+ to go on Space Mountain last month, I was (pleasantly) surprised how many people were playing-and seemingly enjoying-the games in the standby queue. This is not sarcasm. I expected lots of people just to be on their phones, but the games were all being completely utilized.

Totally agree they are not necessary... My opinions of this queue stuff is based in environment and theme, not if people will play the games... I keep thinking to myself "How does an ipad screen embedded into wood in the middle of a hill being mined for diamonds/gems in the middle of a mideval times fantasyland forest fit the theme?" The answer I keep coming up with is: they don't... At least the Space Mountain queue games fit the environment and blend in... These will stick out like sore thumbs cause they do not belong... People want to waste their time playing silly video games in a queue, the same games they can play at home on their computer or phone, that's their issue...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom