1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Trip All-aboard! Yacht Club in July '17.

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Reports' started by fractal, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DznyRktekt

DznyRktekt Premium Member

Our family has rented a push wheel chair at the parks for my mom the last few visits. She recently had some heart issues and it helps with conserving her energy. I would suggest this as an option.

littleroo and fractal like this.
  2. SweetEvangeline

SweetEvangeline Well-Known Member

You can rent a manual wheelchair from many places off site that will deliver right to your hotel room. That way you have it 24-7 so you don't have to turn it in while going back and forth from the parks. We have done it and it works beautifully!

3. MinnieM123

MinnieM123 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your photography lesson for fireworks video. The more I watched it, the more I kept thinking about EPCOT, and how they need more edutainment features like this--just like years ago.

For example, when I go to Flower & Garden Festival, they have guest (horticultural) speakers in the F&G center (the former WOL pavilion). I think you could do something like that, and photography could fit in well (with any event at WDW--so many opportunities around the parks for some amazing photographs)

So not only could you share your expertise with guests, but since you're also a WDW fan, you could suggest good locations, and even times of day, to get some of the best photos. :)

4. fractal

fractal Original Poster Premium Member

thanks for the feedback!

littleroo and MinnieM123 like this.
  5. Zipitidoda

Zipitidoda Well-Known Member

Loved the video!!! I even learned what the "bulb" feature is and how to use it! I need more of these videos.

Regarding obstacles, I would be very anxious about the magic band too. I hope they arrive soon. As for Mom, I would get a scooter if a wheel chair is out of the question. We all know how everyone on here feels about scooters but if it's for a necessary issue most people are understanding. Just don't make her stay at the resort. ;) And on Val's dad depending on your relationship maybe you can leave him at the resort.:eek::D

gdisneyfans, littleroo, Ciara and 2 others like this.
  6. TheDude23

TheDude23 Well-Known Member

Great video with some great tips. Hoping there are more to come! In the past, I've done the pure basics when it comes to documenting/capturing the trip, but I'd like to step my game up there.

Any recommendations for a decent entry-level camera for someone starting out? I know that's probably an impossible question as everyone has different budgets, but I'm curious.

littleroo, fractal and MinnieM123 like this.
  7. fractal

Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't know that - thanks!

Thanks @Zipitidoda ! I'm glad it was worthwhile for you.

Apparently the bands should arrive today. We'll see. My sister is really pushing the scooter and since my Mom is staying with her I think she's going to win the argument.

Regarding my Father-in-law; I appreciate the sentiment. :D I however, am lucky enough to have great in-laws so he's going with us - one way or the other.

Thanks @TheDude23 !

I think this thread might be able to help with your question. Let me know if you have any more questions after reading it.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wannabe-photographer.926269/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    littleroo, MinnieM123, Ciara and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Resident "and onion" of the boards Premium Member

Subscriber No.49 :D

9. fractal

Thanks!

Mr Ferret 88 likes this.
  10. fractal

Got 'em!

[​IMG]

phew!

Ciara, gdisneyfans, Bob and 16 others like this.
  11. DznyRktekt

DznyRktekt Premium Member

Am I the only one scanning Fractal's countertop for hidden Mickeys?

CaliKris, Ciara, gdisneyfans and 6 others like this.
  12. Uncle Lupe

Uncle Lupe Well-Known Member

So your shirt really pops when I stream this to the 4k big screen. I never would have thought to wear the neck strap while it's on the tripod.

Would like to see your input on getting better shots in a gymnasium. A setting that usually has poor lights in general and sometimes you cannot get close to a target.
    Sigh of relief and fist pump when that arrives. As far as the elders just be careful of the heat.

littleroo, fractal and MinnieM123 like this.
  13. fractal

Thanks for the feedback. This is a learning process so it's much appreciated.

I have a lot of experience with shots in gymnasiums, pools, theaters (indoor poor lighting).

To get good to great shots you need a long telephoto lens with a wide aperture. I have a 200mm 2.8 lens I use or an 85mm 1.8 lens. The wide aperture will allow more light to help you overcome the fact that you need a fast shutter to freeze the action.

You'll need your ISO levels high (1600 -3200), a shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec. (I'll typically shoot at 1/800 to 1/1000 for sports and dance) and your aperture as wide as it can go.

If you don't have a "fast" lens and want to make it easier; your best bet is to get as close to the action as possible, set your camera to "sports shooting" mode and hope for the best.

Good reminder on the elders.

14. fractal

New video up. Tips on shooting Dark Rides.

15. Sabriel

Sabriel Member

Just a head's up, depending on the amount of days you'll be needing a wheelchair, it may be cheaper to just buy one.
    My family made a ten day trip to the parks and buying one on Amazon worked out to be cheaper than renting.

Also, had to laugh about the lights being left on. I tell my dad if he ever comes back as a ghost, I'll know it's him because he'll be the one following everyone around turning off lights. :hilarious:

16. Zipitidoda

I'm trying to watch but I keep laughing at the puppy slap at 10 seconds. :hilarious:. I know it's not that funny but I just can't stop.

gdisneyfans, littleroo and fractal like this.
  17. Zipitidoda

Ok, I calmed down and watched the video. Helping me a lot @fractal, another great video.

littleroo, MinnieM123 and fractal like this.
  18. fractal

Lol!

He's a bit "heftier" than he looks.

littleroo and Zipitidoda like this.
  19. DisneyShe

DisneyShe Well-Known Member

Just started the fireworks video, your pictures are always amazing and I stink at any night photos so looking forward to it. Feel ya on the magicbands. I hate their tracking, it doesn't show updates forever. My mailman knows that I will be stalking him when it is Disney trip time, laughs when I meet him at the top of driveway every day. Hope you guys have a great trip and cannot wait to see your amazing photos!

20. MinnieM123

MinnieM123 Well-Known Member

I thought Toni did a great job as an animatronic in the video!

Also liked your comment about no flash photography on dark rides. It seems like there's always "one" person who has to use a flash, and kill the immersion factor for other guests on the ride.:facepalm:

gdisneyfans, littleroo and fractal like this.