Alice in Wonderland updates

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm torn... the problem with mixing in projection like that is it makes the ride conflicted on what you expect from it.

Are these old effects quaint and nostalgic? Or are they outdated next to these other effects?

She looks great... until you put her next to a model.. kind of thing. The video quality is pretty poor... so won't judge fully yet.

TP2000

Watching the better quality video from Miceage you can tell there's a lot of stuff going on, much that can't be picked up on camera. You can also tell audio quality is dramatically better; they must have replaced all the speakers.

And compared to the old "updated" 1984 version of the 1958 original (that got a projection and lighting upgrade in the late 2000's), this new 2014 version is lightyears better! :eek:

I will need to see it in person, but this looks like they got a perfect blend of old-school 1950's dark ride effects and brand new digital projection and imagery upgrades that blend marvelously! Bravo Disneyland!

Now I can't wait to see what they do with Peter Pan and Mr. Toad! Can you even imagine how good those two could be using this type of new technology and blended artistry?!?

Kinda makes all the kurfuffle over the widened vine seem silly. :D

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

I'm torn... the problem with mixing in projection like that is it makes the ride conflicted on what you expect from it.

Are these old effects quaint and nostalgic? Or are they outdated next to these other effects?

She looks great... until you put her next to a model.. kind of thing. The video quality is pretty poor... so won't judge fully yet.

Projection mapping for me has been very hit and miss. I like it when it is used to garnish scenes and not overwhelm them. Test Tron Track is definately the latter and Indy is more like the former. Alice seems to be more supportive in its use of projection, so it looks promising.

The one thing that has always been consistant in my opinion is that projection mapping always seems to look better on video than it does in person.

Alice makes me look forward to seeing the rest of Fantasyland get shinned up.

It sure would be nice to have the other coast care enough about plussing their attractions to do things like this. Of course at this point, I would be happy if TDO would simply clean and get the current effects working.

Jose

Watching the better quality video from Miceage you can tell there's a lot of stuff going on, much that can't be picked up on camera.

And compared to the old 1984 version (that got a projection and lighting upgrade in the late 2000's), the new 2014 version is lightyears better! :eek:

I will need to see it in person, but this looks like they got a perfect blend of old-school 1950's dark ride effects and brand new digital projection and imagery upgrades that blend marvelously! Bravo Disneyland!

Now I can't wait to see what they do with Peter Pan and Mr. Toad! Can you even imagine how good those two could be using this type of new technology and blended artistry?!?

don't forget snow white!

TP2000

It sure would be nice to have the other coast care enough about plussing their attractions to do things like this. Of course at this point, I would be happy if TDO would simply clean and get the current effects working.

Fascinating how that works, isn't it?

The Disneyland dark rides are already noticeably better maintained and technologically plussed up over their Magic Kingdom Park counterparts, but now TDA is going to do this level of upgrade to all of 'em?!?

It's mind boggling how good Disneyland's Fantasyland will be in 2015 for the 60th with this level of investment. Chock full of 1950's rides that are actually new and fresh and crisp and ready for decades of happy service to 21st century audiences!

Disneyland's Diamond Anniversary Celebration suddenly seems more promising.

TP2000

don't forget snow white!

And Pinnochio too! :)

But the Miceage Updates have been saying for a year now that Pan and Toad would be next after Alice.

Miceage and Al Lutz really deserve some credit here. They were the first to break the news on this "updated dark ride" concept well over a year ago, they stuck with it and dogged it as the Alice In Wonderland vine drama played out and delayed stuff, and they really were the only ones to talk about it for the first year or so until it got embedded as an accepted rumor by other bloggers and websites.

And here it is. Miceage was right. Can't wait to see what they do to Peter Pan and Mr. Toad next!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Watching the better quality video from Miceage you can tell there's a lot of stuff going on, much that can't be picked up on camera.

And compared to the old 1984 version (that got a projection and lighting upgrade in the late 2000's), the new 2014 version is lightyears better! :eek:

The fuss over the vine was silly, for the most part.

In regards to the other dark rides, I am most curious about Toad. Besides Toad, I think Pinocchio looks the most dated.

JediMasterMatt

Fascinating how that works, isn't it?

The Disneyland dark rides are already noticeably better maintained and technologically plussed up over their Magic Kingdom Park counterparts, but now TDA is going to do this level of upgrade to all of 'em?!?

It's mind boggling how good Disneyland's Fantasyland will be in 2015 for the 60th with this level of investment. Chock full of 1950's rides that are actually new and fresh and crisp and ready for decades of happy service to 21st century audiences!

Disneyland's Diamond Anniversary Celebration suddenly seems more promising.

Sad is the word I would choose in comparing the two resorts and the way they are being run.

In my opinion, when you take the situations where you are comparing the way attractions have been maintained and remove situations where the design of the attraction in one location is better - Disneyland Resort stomps all over the current show quality on display in Orlando.

The upkeep on attractions in Anaheim is much better than their counterparts. Attractions are consistantly cleaner, audio levels are consistantly more balanced, lighting levels are polished, and get this - things actually work for the most part.

Granted there are exceptions to every rule. In my opinion, MK's Haunted Mansion has been in better show quality than DL's for quite some time (not even factoring in the differences between the two). DLR has effects that don't work, like the tipping tractors on RSRs or the boulder on Indy; but, for the most part - when something brakes, it gets fixed within a short period of time. Even the tractors or Indy, they eventually get put back into working condition.

The same can't be said in Orlando. Just picking on Pirates, when was the last time everything was working in Orlando (I'm being nice and not bringing up the Yeti).

The difference in my opinion is that one resort still cares and one resort is just interested in keeping the status quo.

Nland316

So it is to my understanding that the original animatronics are still intact correct? With the acception of alice of course. I remember how Micechat really pushed that there would be new rear projected animatronics. Maybe there's still plans to add them right before the 60th if it's still a possibility?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So it is to my understanding that the original animatronics are still intact correct? With the acception of alice of course. I remember how Micechat really pushed that there would be new rear projected animatronics. Maybe there's still plans to add them right before the 60th if it's still a possibility?

Apparently the Imagineers didn't like the way the effect looked, so they scrapped it.

Mike S

Here is a higher quality video. The new effects are really quite good. I cant wait to see the updates to the rest of the Fantasyland dark rides if this is any indicator.

Wow, it's incredible how Disneyland is plussing its rides. I'm starting to get the feeling that after my trip to Disneyland in February I'll never look at Magic Kingdom the same way ever again. Makes me a little scared and mad at the same time.

Looks awesome! I was pleasantly surprised with what they did. Majorly love the plussed mad tea party scene- a huge improvement over the old Cheshire Cat scene. The only thing that I'm a bit disappointed about is that the new Alice figures both look to be static- oh well, they blend in with the rest of the ride that way I guess.
Edit- Watching other videos, it actually does look like she along with Hatter & Hare do move slightly in the Unbirthday scene. Guess I didn't catch it the first time around.

Last edited:

wdrive

You wouldn't even think Disneyland and WDW are both run by the same company. How long until WDW see's the updates that the Little Mermaid ride got at Disneyland? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Never?

Love the updates to Alice though. They really are perfect and I generally hate using screens and videos in rides.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm still waiting for the 1983 updates for Peter Pan.

There you go. It's been sitting for decades and collecting dust. So, there's one neglected dark ride, TWO dark rides featuring violence, jail, booze, nudity and the devil replaced by Winnie the Pooh, another dark ride that Claude Coats worked on replaced by a princess photo op and the submarines replaced by a ******* crappy clam shell ride. You're on very thin ice, WDW. This is why I go to Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom