Alcohol in the MK

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not really, especially when people quote it as fact. This is a legitimate Disney site and for many, if they read it here, they believe it to be true.
He said he thought that may be the case but he may have been mistaken. Hardly an attempt to state something as a fact IMHO.

Phonedave

I just went to Skipper Canteen for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago and had 3 bottles of beer with my steak. There is no cut-off. Bars and restaurants only institute a cut-off or cap if the guest or patron is exhibiting bad behaviour or is behaving drunk or becoming a nuissance.

Again, my only experience is in NJ. While I have never been a bartender as a profession, for a number of reasons, I had to become TIPS (Training for Intervention ProcedureS) certified in NJ - mainly for club licenses.

As a bartender you are supposed to be cutting people off before they are drunk. You are also supposed to be pushing non-alcoholic drinks alternating with alcoholic drinks. You are supposed to be wary of shots and other quickly consumed drings vs. longer to consume drinks and a whole bunch of other things. Of course since that goes directly against maximizing profits, it does not happen all of the time, but it is what is supposed to happen.

It's not a law, but often it is what your insurance policy requires - hence me taking the TIPS training.

-dave

21stamps

Again, my only experience is in NJ. While I have never been a bartender as a profession, for a number of reasons, I had to become TIPS (Training for Intervention ProcedureS) certified in NJ - mainly for club licenses.

As a bartender you are supposed to be cutting people off before they are drunk. You are also supposed to be pushing non-alcoholic drinks alternating with alcoholic drinks. You are supposed to be wary of shots and other quickly consumed drings vs. longer to consume drinks and a whole bunch of other things. Of course since that goes directly against maximizing profits, it does not happen all of the time, but it is what is supposed to happen.

It's not a law, but often it is what your insurance policy requires - hence me taking the TIPS training.

-dave

If clubs kicked people out before they were drunk, then they wouldn't serve fishbowls at any of them, or allow only 4 people per bottle of liquor. ;)

Having said that, if you are drunk enough to be viewed as a liability, they will not hesitate to ask (tell) you to leave. My 25th birthday was a week long extravaganza in SoBe. By Saturday, my actual birthday, I was exhausted. We were at a popular nightclub ordering bottle after bottle of champagne.. champagne is dangerous for me because you don't feel it right away, but I admit that I love it. After 4 glasses (in about 4 hours time and plenty of water in between) I was so tipsy and so tired.. apparently I started to fall asleep at our table. The bouncer saw my head nod, and immediately came up and told our group that I had to leave right that second. Extremely embarrassing.

Phonedave

If clubs kicked people out before they were drunk, then they wouldn't serve fishbowls at any of them, or allow only 4 people per bottle of liquor. ;)

Having said that, if you are drunk enough to be viewed as a liability, they will not hesitate to ask (tell) you to leave. My 25th birthday was a week long extravaganza in SoBe. By Saturday, my actual birthday, I was exhausted. We were at a popular nightclub ordering bottle after bottle of champagne.. champagne is dangerous for me because you don't feel it right away, but I admit that I love it. After 4 glasses I was so tipsy and so tired.. apparently I started to fall asleep at our table. The bouncer saw my head nod, and immediately came up and told our group that I had to leave right that second. Extremely embarrassing.

It is a liability for the venu. If they let you get drunk to the point where you are impared, and then you go off and something happens to you, they are leaving themselves open to a lawsuit. As for fishbowls, and other mixed drinks, sometimes there is not much alcohol in them. Here is a neat trink, moisten the rim of the glass with vodka or dip the straw in vodka, then mix up a week drink and serve it to somone. They will tell you it is a strong drink.

Anyway, when I was referring to club licenses, that is not a license for a nightclub. A club license (which is not available everywhere) is a license for a bar to exist, that may ro may not charge for drinks, but is not open to the general public but instead is only open to members of a specific club. Places like the Elks, the VFW, American Legion, Oddfellows, etc. that have bars may or may not have a club license. I used to hold TIPS certification because I was one of the "responsible" members of an organization I belonged to. If the bar in our building was open, then at least one of us with certification had to be present. So said our insurnace rider.

I'll be tending bar next weekend at a fundraiser (we get +/- 500 people through the gate) but there is no need for certification there, just a permit from the ABC, you also need that permit # in order to buy wholesale directly from a distributer. It varies from town to town.

-dave

Minnie1976

I think the restaurants began serving alcohol in Dec '15.

I just went to Skipper Canteen for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago and had 3 bottles of beer with my steak. There is no cut-off. Bars and restaurants only institute a cut-off or cap if the guest or patron is exhibiting bad behaviour or is behaving drunk or becoming a nuissance.

As a SoCal native, I really wish DL would start serving alcohol at their sit-down establishments like DW finally did. It would be amazing to sit in the bayou while pirate ships sailed by and enjoy a real mint julip or mojito some day. Of course Club 33 serves drinks...but the view up there was not all that great to me. Plus, it is really hard to visit now days and not convenient or open to just anyone.
So disappointed in Disney for serving alcohol at the Magic Kingdom. It doesn't belong.

crxbrett

So disappointed in Disney for serving alcohol at the Magic Kingdom. It doesn't belong.

I can understand not wanting it at stands or booths or counter service like it is presented at the other parks. But why on earth should it not be at full table service restaurants? It's available everywhere else on property. Including a Monorail hop away at the resorts.

Beer, wine and cider make a whole lot of sense at places like Skipper Canteens, Be Our Guest, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony's TS Cafe and the Royal Table. Obviously Disney thought the same thing.

I don't understand why alcohol would not belong in those establishments in the MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can understand not wanting it at stands or booths or counter service like it is presented at the other parks. But why on earth should it not be at full table service restaurants? It's available everywhere else on property. Including a Monorail hop away at the resorts.

Beer, wine and cider make a whole lot of sense at places like Skipper Canteens, Be Our Guest, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony's TS Cafe and the Royal Table. Obviously Disney thought the same thing.

I don't understand why alcohol would not belong in those establishments in the MK.
It clearly does, since it's being responsibly served to diners.
I agree. We have just about 5 years of history to look back on now. It has worked out well for all guests. Those who want to have a drink or 2 with dinner have an enhanced experience and those who choose not to are not impacted at all. Time has proven that the big fears listed when this first became policy like drunken fools stumbling around MK or drink carts on every corner did not come true. This has been a mostly seamless roll out for everyone.

danyoung56

I can understand not wanting it at stands or booths or counter service like it is presented at the other parks. But why on earth should it not be at full table service restaurants?

I completely agree. I've said for years that a dinner in the Blue Bayou in DL is diminished because you can't have a glass of wine with your meal. And I haven't eaten dinner at the MK restaurants for years because of that same thing. I had dinner at Be Our Guest a few years ago, and it was delicious. And part of the success of the meal was the tasty wine that came with it. Without that, I would have gone to one of the MK hotels for dinner.

CSJORDAN

It's not that hard to imagine. Two drinks per person, or one bottle per pair of people. Actually, if you serve alcohol, you are supposed to watch and cut off people if necessary, at least in NJ - I assume FL has similar laws for bartenders.

Clearly I said I may be mistaken, and seeing as the only place i have eaten at in MK since they started service alcohol was BoG, and I htink I had one beer there each time, I clearly did not put the rumor to the test.
Last month, at Skippers I had two glasses of wine and champagne with dessert. No one blinked an eye! I will say the portion of wine served was very small IMHO. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom