Alcohol ID

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From the horse's mouth, i.e., Section 562.11, Florida Statutes....

"...he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and the appearance of the person was such that an ordinarily prudent person would believe him or her to be of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and if the licensee carefully checked one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person: a driver license, an identification card issued under the provisions of s. 322.051 or, if the person is physically handicapped as defined in 2s. 553.45(1), a comparable identification card issued by another state which indicates the person’s age, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card..."

Under Florida Statute, a passport should be sufficient. However, if Disney wants to ask for additional proof of age, I'd be prepared. Please note that Florida Statute doesn't state copies of said acceptable documents are permissible.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know it was quite annoying since it does have my date of birth and photo on it! I don't really understand why they wouldn't, but hey. I got my drink in the end!

It's not Disney that's driving, it's what Florida Statute says is acceptable and Disney must comply. Or loose its license to sell alcoholic beverages - both Disney and the server can be fined.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah, I read this before we went, and since I don't drive I wondered what they'd accept. We don't have any other type of government issued Id in the uk, what else does the US government issue out of interest. Anyway as I said a passport on it's own was fine. But then my age is beyond doubt too. I've yet to hear of anyone asked for a passsport and another form of Id.

Ironically when DS, who turned 21 on our first day, was wearing his 21st birthday button he wasn't asked for Id at all, the server just wished him happy birthday!

Other than a passport or military ID, the US doesn't issue ID referenced in the Florida Statutes..that is done by each individual state. But "government issued ID" is referenced so that only official documents will be accepted because to initially get a government issued ID - whether drivers license or state ID - you had to show a birth certificate.

Jazb12345

Just came back from florida yesterday, I'm 36 year old male from the UK, I did nightclubs disney alcohol everywhere including liquer stores, my uk driving license was fine everywhere, but to be supersafe if u r under 30 take ur passport too, a lot of it comes down to ur attitude and the person behind the bar.

Hockey89

These non common sense ID rules are annoying... I get it if you are close to 21 but a 59 year old should not be bothered with ID's...It's a typical stupid non common sense approach/...

susan lees

Out with Disney our driving licence was accepted alone no problem. Never carried my passport with me at all out with Disney. Despite being 51 I was still asked for ID in supermarkets when buying alcohol.
To be honest it was quite flattered lol :D:D

The Mom

Premium Member
These non common sense ID rules are annoying... I get it if you are close to 21 but a 59 year old should not be bothered with ID's...It's a typical stupid non common sense approach/...

I have been asked for ID recently (esp TN, for some reason), and responded "Will my Medicare Card do? " :) The answer is, no. I had to show a valid driver's license. BTW, I haven't updated my avatar in a looooong time.

TARDIS

Funny,we have never been asked for ID at Disney out of all our trips. Even when were just 21. We get it ready in our pockets to pull out because in our state you have to show it everywhere. At Disney we look old apparently :hilarious:

disneygeek90

Not a case of giving to under 21s my daughter and husband are over 21 I'm just thinking of what we need to carry around the park document wise. Thanks for the reply though.
While it may be annoying, I would recommend carrying it. I am 26 and get carded everywhere. Depending on how strict they are, they will most likely card your daughter if she is anywhere around 30 or under, and possibly even you. As others have said, there is a 2 drink per person limit. If you are ordering for yourself, your husband and daughter, there needs to be at least two of you at the counter. This can all be paid in one transaction, they just need to see one person for every two drinks ordered at a time.

Phonedave

This last in July, the only time we were carded was at Jellyrolls. Everywhere else we were not asked for ID. We are 40 and 47, so maybe we are starting to look THAT much older than 21.

adz823

I remember when I was dining at Coral Reef on my birthday a few years back and I had forgotten to take my UK passport along that evening - I was denied alcohol as a result as they wouldn't accept my UK driving license. Not a big deal really, but hate carrying my passport around in case I lose it! Fast forward to now, I live in California so have an ID card, but go figure, it expires today (and I travel to WDW on Thursday!) so the passport will be with me at all times!

Hockey89

This last in July, the only time we were carded was at Jellyrolls. Everywhere else we were not asked for ID. We are 40 and 47, so maybe we are starting to look THAT much older than 21.
Being 35 and having a 20 year old brother, no one on earth would mistake a 47 year old for a 20 year old... Just boring cover your a%% non common sense rules...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Being 35 and having a 20 year old brother, no one on earth would mistake a 47 year old for a 20 year old... Just boring cover your a%% non common sense rules...
Florida often "hires" youths to try and buy alcohol to test an establishment's policies on selling to minors. Nobody wants to be outed on their website as another business with a suspended liquor license. So if it's in the company policy to conduct 100% ID checks on patrons, then to not do so is to endanger one's longevity in that position.

MissPixie

I an American so I don't have a Passport and I am 21 but look like I am 16 so I carried my License all the time. My boyfriend is 30 so they rarely even asked him for ID at the restaurants. I have no clue why they asked me all the time because I had my 2 year old son with me, but I guess I could be a teen with a toddler.

My question for the Original Poster is if I ever traveled to Disneyland Paris would I be expected to carry my Passport around in the Park all the time? I don't know if you have ever been there and may not be able to answer that question, but if you have been there and know that answer it should be the same policy for those coming from the UK to WDW as well.

Phonedave

Florida often "hires" youths to try and buy alcohol to test an establishment's policies on selling to minors. Nobody wants to be outed on their website as another business with a suspended liquor license. So if it's in the company policy to conduct 100% ID checks on patrons, then to not do so is to endanger one's longevity in that position.

We had a liquor store in town that was shut down for just that reason. The police sent in minors, and the store sold them alcohol 3 times in one year. .

-dave

Just to add in my experience, I was 21 on my last trip to Disneyworld (from the UK) and was refused to be served alcohol on my full drivers license alone and was told a photo of my passport would not be accepted either, even alongside my license. Typically, this was in the pub in the UK pavilion in EPCOT so it felt particularly odd and the server was very apologetic as it must have been weird for her too given our drinking age is 18 and a UK license was second nature to her, policy is policy.

Having said that I did not get ID'd in all of the parks, so it was not always a problem as we didn't want to carry around our passports either. If you are adamant on drinking then you will need your passport but if you are not then every now and then you might get lucky when they don't ask.

MissPixie

Just to add in my experience, I was 21 on my last trip to Disneyworld (from the UK) and was refused to be served alcohol on my full drivers license alone and was told a photo of my passport would not be accepted either, even alongside my license. Typically, this was in the pub in the UK pavilion in EPCOT so it felt particularly odd and the server was very apologetic as it must have been weird for her too given our drinking age is 18 and a UK license was second nature to her, policy is policy.

Having said that I did not get ID'd in all of the parks, so it was not always a problem as we didn't want to carry around our passports either. If you are adamant on drinking then you will need your passport but if you are not then every now and then you might get lucky when they don't ask.
Wow, that is bizarre that they didn't serve you with the License and Passport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom